Extraordinary uses for a plactic 35mm film container.

Nikon_Nick

Shirley
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
This morning, I had the task of trying to remove a flat metal plug from the bathroom sink. The lever at the back of the sink had broken, meaning that the button you would normally push to raise the plug was no longer working...joy.

After a bit of faffing, I got some superglue, and stuck the bottom of the film canister to the metal plug. A minute later, I was able to slide the plug out...and my wife moans at me for keeping a load of them in a kitchen drawer!

So, ladies and gents, what uses have you found for them?

Reactions: Jao
Salad dressing, stops a packed salad from going limp before you get a chance to eat it.

Salt and pepper for camping trips, also use one for washing-up liquid.

And I used to put my earplugs in one so I had somewhere to store them when I was off the bike. Though that's since been replaced by the plastic toy pot from a Kinder egg. :)

One word...

GEOCACHE!!!!!!

Salad dressing, stops a packed salad from going limp before you get a chance to eat it.

Salt and pepper for camping trips, also use one for washing-up liquid.

And I used to put my earplugs in one so I had somewhere to store them when I was off the bike. Though that's since been replaced by the plastic toy pot from a Kinder egg. :)

Good stuff.

Salad dressing
Secondary packaging for glass sample vials in transit between labs
Ice cube trays

Also for camping/backpacking trips... Decant a trips wort of toothpaste into the pot... You can actually cut it down in height if you're only on a short break...

I used a load of them to make a model of a chemical plant for warhammer space marine (epic) when I was in my teens. I've still got it in the loft, twenty odd years after making it.

Coffee, tea, powdered milk for a fresh brew on top of a mountain!

I'm using a cut down film canister to prop up one side of my keyboard cos a bit of the folding lug has broken..guess I'll have to get another one at the bootie as the keyboard still wobbles a bit.......another £1-£2 expense ;)

My Mum always used to rob mine to take to her school, she handed them out to her reception class for them to keep their milk money in :LOL:

Nothing extraordinary- I keep different temperature silver solders and sub 1mm drills in old canisters for my silver work.

This morning, I had the task of trying to remove a flat metal plug from the bathroom sink. The lever at the back of the sink had broken, meaning that the button you would normally push to raise the plug was no longer working...joy.

The pedant in me, over which I have no control, has to point out it's a basin!

Steve.

The pedant in me, over which I have no control, has to point out it's a basin!

Steve.

I believe you have mistaken this for a buffalo... they are very similar, however you can't wash your hands in a buffalo. :D:coat:

Basin is generic. A sink is a specific type of basin. i.e. one you have in the kitchen. You have a hand basin in the bathroom!

Steve.

I'm going to install a kitchen sink in my bathroom, just so that I can correct people who correct me! :D

Didn't know there was a difference though, every day's a school day!

Sample pot. (NOT pot samples!!!)

Carrying suncream .....saves lugging the bottle if only out for the day

From a photograpghy pov, i have several that i've drilled holes into.

Sometimes i'll cut down sheet film to obtain a single exposure from subminiature caméras.

It is impossible to develope such a small piece of film in a daylight tank with out it exiting with the chemicals.

Solution is to put the piece of film in the canister which in turn goes in the daylight tank.

Works a treat!

I currently have several in service holding various thinners for various things, and some others holding pound coins!

The trick is to get the creases good and sharp when folding it.

When I had my 120 film dev at snappysnap...the film was rolled up and two 35mm canisters were used to contain it....h'mm well it worked.

When I had my 120 film dev at snappysnap...the film was rolled up and two 35mm canisters were used to contain it....h'mm well it worked.
and 35mm film was returned in 120 canisters:thinking:........could only happen at snappysnap :D:D:D

Various backpacking/camping uses, including keeping matches dry. I still have a bit of a hankering for the old, screw top, metal ones but I haven't seen any of those for years.

I remember my Dad using them for fishing floats! I currently have some holding tiny weenie LEDs.

Back