F&C Do the Dales - CANCELLED

Preferred Dates and Accommodation (have a read through the thread first, a lot has been discussed)

• 29 March to 1 April (Sunrise 5:46am)

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 26 to 29 April

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • 10 to 13 May (Sunrise 5am)

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Bunk House

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Hostel with individual rooms for couples

• Large Holiday Home, double/twin rooms

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 2 Nights

• 3 Nights

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • 4 Nights

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fantastic! That's a Cumbria thing isn't it?

I've heard that, till about 1940, a Cumbrian could have a conversation with a Scandinavian.

Is that right, do you know?

Fantastic! That's a Cumbria thing isn't it?

I've heard that, till about 1940, a Cumbrian could have a conversation with a Scandinavian.

Is that right, do you know?
I always grew up being told that.
A lot of the place names in Lakes and Dales have Scandinavian ancestry.

I really wouldn't know if I could attend this until much nearer the time so best count me out.

If i can go I can arrange my own accommodation; not many people I have met enjoy my chain smoking and snoring anyway!

Arfer toke rate in staffyshire.

Cost kick a bo againt a wo an' then 'it it wi' thi yed till it bosses?"

:D

Arfer toke rate in staffyshire.

Cost kick a bo againt a wo an' then 'it it wi' thi yed till it bosses?"

:D
Speak English for God's sake!

How to talk correctly in Staffordshire.

Can you kick a ball against a wall and hit it with your head until it bursts. :D

If we're talking proper English, then the only dialect that directly relates to the original Anglo Saxon is from where I live.

@dmb knows a thing or two about this.

View attachment 137779

My Grandad was from Staffordshire and apparently the family name can be traced back to the 1200s from the Trentham area. My Gran's side were an old Cheshire family. It seems that some of the descendants from the Staffs side of the family were some of the first settlers in America, but I seem to have got about 25 miles away in all that time! What was it that Chris said about me getting out of Cheshire more? I reckon it's genetic homing! :D Interestingly, my Grandad didn't have a broad Staffordshire accent, just a slight accent and a softish voice.

I believe the Cheshire dialect (sadly now pretty much lost) is meant to be one of the oldest dialects in the country. The reason supposedly being that in the pre-railway and cotton mill days, Cheshire folk didn't marry much outside the county, which preserved the regional dialect for longer than that of other Counties where the dialect was diluted by incomers or were so large they had sub-dialects that merged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_dialect and for individual words: https://archive.org/stream/glossaryofwordsu00leigrich#page/12/mode/2up

It's a shame so many regional accents have been lost (or virtually lost), Cheshire phrases such as 'One and welly-one' for one and a half (a corruption of 'one and well nigh one') are now a thing of the past. :(

Last edited:
My Grandad was from Staffordshire and apparently the family name can be traced back to the 1200s from the Trentham area. My Gran's side were an old Cheshire family. It seems that some of the descendants from the Staffs side of the family were some of the first settlers in America, but I seem to have got about 25 miles away in all that time! What was it that Chris said about me getting out of Cheshire more? I reckon it'd genetic homing! :D Interestingly, my Grandad didn't have a broad Staffordshire accent, just a slight accent and a softish voice.

I believe the Cheshire dialect (sadly now pretty much lost) is meant to be one of the oldest dialects in the country. The reason supposedly being that in the pre-railway and cotton mill days, Cheshire folk didn't marry much outside the county, which preserved the regional dialect for longer than that of other Counties where the dialect was diluted by incomers or were so large they had sub-dialects that merged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_dialect and for individual words: https://archive.org/stream/glossaryofwordsu00leigrich#page/12/mode/2up

It's a shame so many regional accents have been lost (or virtually lost), Cheshire phrases such as 'One and welly-one' for one an a half (a corruption of 'one and well nigh one') are now a thing of the past. :(

Well I suppose it's a shame regional dialects are disappearing but what use are they outside these areas..it's bad enough trying to understand people on the phone who don't speak proper clear English...but what was weird once when talking to a particular type of Cockney and I couldn't understand his continual slang and I've lived in outer London all my life :rolleyes:
Anyway it works the other way around too as my wife's sisters in Ireland had a job understanding me at first but they watching Eastenders and other soaps have no problem now (y)

Last edited:
but what was weird once when talking to a particular type of Cockney and I could understand his continual slang and I've lived in outer London all my life :rolleyes:

Are you sure you're not just going mutton? ;) I know what you mean though, I struggled to understand a chap with a thick Derbyshire accent once when I was a youngster, he was asking me questions and I hadn't got a clue what he was saying half the time!

Last edited:
There was recently an item on BBC News. From Scotland. Dialect was so strong that the broadcast was supplied with subtitles.

Are you sure you're not just going mutton? ;) I know what you mean though, I struggled to understand a chap with a thick Derbyshire accent once when I was a youngster, he was asking me questions and I hadn't got a clue what he was saying half the time!

It's amazing how the brains works when you think about all the people that can understand each with all the languages in the world and dialects. (y)

it's bad enough trying to understand people on the phone who don't speak proper clear English

I lived in West Yorkshire and although less than 20 miles from Barnsley I found it surprisingly difficult to understand a lot of the folk there…...One guy I worked with was from Barnsley district and having to ask him to repeat himself all the time was somewhat amusing but also embarrasing.

It's no different here in France…..The Nicois ( folk originally from Nice) are very diificut to understand, even for the french! and tourists that come across from Marseille have very much their own language

I lived in West Yorkshire and although less than 20 miles from Barnsley I found it surprisingly difficult to understand a lot of the folk there…...One guy I worked with was from Barnsley district and having to ask him to repeat himself all the time was somewhat amusing but also embarrasing.

It's no different here in France…..The Nicois ( folk originally from Nice) are very diificut to understand, even for the french! and tourists that come across from Marseille have very much their own language

Well everyone in the world should speak clear BBC English and problem solved o_O

Not even the BBC use BBC English any more.

Well everyone in the world should speak clear BBC English and problem solved o_O

Would it not be a boring worrld though?

Part of visiting other countries is to discover their different cultures, including the languages.

And why should everyone speak English as opposed to Greek, Latin, German, Arabic or even French?...…..After all English is far from an easy language to learn!

Not even the BBC use BBC English any more.

I wonder if the Queen speaks "correct" English when out of the public eye:thinking:…...I couldn't imagine her with a strong Northern dialect:D

Not when it's the only language taught when growing up ;)

English...is it really English anymore as more and more words originate from the U.S

It's surprising how many people on the continent will say that they speak English when in actual fact tey speak American ( indeed there are teachers here offering lessons but they are American )

Not when it's the only language taught when growing up ;)

That's a non sequitur. If you have no choice in the matter, you learn English, but it says nothing about how easy it is. How old does someone have to be before they can speak English correctly? Some English people never get to that stage. There was a line in a 1938 film Pymalion delivered by an "expert" who said that Eliza Doolittle couldn't actually be English because she spoke English perfectly - and only foreigners could do that!

English...is it really English anymore as more and more words originate from the U.S

It's surprising how many people on the continent will say that they speak English when in actual fact tey speak American ( indeed there are teachers here offering lessons but they are American )

Well as you know English absorbs other words even from China, so it's only when some words are written in American that annoys me. :eek:

That's a non sequitur. If you have no choice in the matter, you learn English, but it says nothing about how easy it is. How old does someone have to be before they can speak English correctly? Some English people never get to that stage. There was a line in a 1938 film Pymalion delivered by an "expert" who said that Eliza Doolittle couldn't actually be English because she spoke English perfectly - and only foreigners could do that!

Good point about some foreigners can speak better English and true, but I thought the main point was understanding each other and if every one in the world spoke English (well as long as it's understandable)...it would solve a big problem in communicating, and let's face it all the aliens in stargate can speak English ;)

If I was going to make a case for a universal language, I'd go with Latin as it was the language of scholarship across the western world for almost 2000 years - even Newton wrote in Latin!

As to Americanisms, many are actually originally Englishisms that the settlers took over and then didn't bother changing when the English English confused the language with weird spellings.

But we digress. Overhills and down dales to end with - The Dales.

Last edited:
Everyone can understand English if you shout it loudly and slowly enough at them! ;) :D

I think you must exclude call centre staff from that generalisation :D

I've just noticed a change in the poll choices, and revoted accordingly.

I was born and brought up in Chorley in the heart of the Lancahire cotton industry. Folk from Bolton, Preston, Wigan (Wiggin!), Blackburn etc., were all only a handful of miles away but their accents were all different.

I moved away over 30 years ago with work but now when I go home their accents sound just awful. They all think I talk with a Scouse twang, but round here they still think I sound like I've just come up the pit!

moved away over 30 years ago with work but now when I go home their accents sound just awful.

Tell me about it!

Much as I was born in York, I was dragged up in the IOM:)

Personal circumstances forced my return to W.Yorks not so long after the pits had closed and I initially hated the dialect/accent ( Folk considered me posh!!)….Don't get me wrong, most of the people were lovely and I judge them not!;)

After staying there for 16 years, during which time I 'accustomed' to the tongue', I got the opportunity to leave the area.

For the first 10 years following my departure, I found myself returning once or twice a year to visit my ex partners family and the dialect grated on me severely, much more so than when I lived there.Fortunatly the trips were usually only a week at a time although they felt like years!

Now I have no need to return to the area so can choose which dialect to "suffer":p when I visit the UK although it.usually begins at the airport in Liverpool …Scouse!!!:runaway: :help::D

Maybe for the Dales meet I'll fly to London instead:p

Last edited:
Liverpool …Scouse!!!:runaway: :help::D
Liverpool...Scouse is like a religion we are not allowed to mention. Its a whole way of life. Very much us against them. "Them" being anyone who isn't Scouse.
I'm just a woolyback, because I come from somewhere there are fields, and fields have sheep. Geddit?

Here we go then, I'm assuming everyone who wants to vote has voted. this is available in Kettlewell It's £1244 for the three nights 26-28th April, and sleeps 12 so £100-ish each if we get 12 people, i.e. £34 per night.

Or this also in Kettlewell which sleeps 24 in 9 bedrooms (and which @Mrs Snap recommended) for £1380, so could work out quite cheap if we get plenty of people.

Kettlewell is a nice little village with easy access to Malham, Littondale, Warfedale, etc

Thoughts please, there is a quite a hefty booking deposit so I am hoping for some firm commitments before I cough up that sort of cash

I'm looking through different flight options.

As expected Leeds and Manchester are stupidly expensive …..they always have been in all the years I've lived out here!

London works out the best bet not just for prices but for flight connection times bearing in mind I live out in the hills ,like 50km ( 30 miles) from Nice and rely on public transport!

Anyway flights available to / from Gatwick could work very well and are reasonably priced atm and could travel the thursday and monday which would work perfectly at this end but I dunno how i'd go on at that end ! …..Need to do more studying of options!

Contrary to what I mentioned in my earlier post about sorting my own digs, I could be tempted to go with the accomodation proposed by Mrs Snap if that is accepted by the majority.
Assuming the deposit isn't a fortune and I can sort a flight/ travel to get there then I would pay at risk of losing it should I be unfit to travel.

Bear in mind Chris @sirch that this is very much "up in the air" atm untill I can clarify a journey that is going to be practical and financially viable.

I'll keep you updated…...

I was expecting the earlier date based on the poll results as I see them. 26-28 April is in Easter week & only a week away from the early May Bank Holiday so we probably wouldn't be able to make it. We'll have to think about it...

Back