F&C Meetup - Battle of Nantwich - 26 January 2019

dmb

Edit My Images
No
I usually attend the Battle of Nantwich (https://www.battleofnantwich.org/schedule) and have had in the past been able to take some reasonable photos (though not on film). If there is interest in meeting up armed with film cameras rather than muskets and pikes we can explore possible places to meet up. The weather at the time of year can be fickle (as it was for the real battle) but the battle still goes on and there are photo opportunities in town too, even the chance to snap my brother playing fiddle in the Museum as part of 'Forlorne Hope'.

Below examples taken on something other than a film camera as a teaser -

20150124_0173cs.jpg 20150124_0183cs.jpg

As Nantwich is only 40 minutes away I'd definitely be up for this. No clue though as to what will be happening on that Saturday, so watching to stay informed.

^^^^ That

An hour away for me by car. How easy is it to get from Crewe railway station? The lure of a bit of anoraking on the station is strong :D

oooh - just a short 15min hop by train frm Crewe. A plot is hatching :D

I usually attend the Battle of Nantwich (https://www.battleofnantwich.org/schedule) If there is interest in meeting up armed with film cameras rather than muskets and pikes we can explore possible places to meet up. ]

Sounds like a good do, I've been meaning to go to that for the last 12 years so count me in. (y)

As parking is likely to be in demand, perhaps a 9am meet (for those keen enough to drag themselves out of bed on a Saturday morning!) at the café above Chatwins baker's shop in Nantwich town square for a mug of tea/coffee and a bacon butty might be a suggestion? Seemed to work well for the recent Christmas meet up. :)

PS Anyone caught cheering for that wart-faced, misery-gutted traitor, Cromwell, will be thrown in the River Weaver! :whistle: ;)

Last edited:
Where's the best pace to park?

Where's the best pace to park?

Crewe station and get the train into Nantwich, parking is a nightmare in Nantwich at the best of times but on battle day it's truly awful.
Nantwich station is nearly in the middle of town so it's only a 5 minutes walk to the centre and less to the battleground.
I probably won't be able to go but I will let someone know if I can make it.

Nantwich Lake might be somewhere far enough out to park next to and then wander into town. Not sure how busy it gets on Battle days though.

I shall be indoors and in the warm until around March at least :)

The Met Office tea leaves suggest that the 26th will be a better than average day for the time of year. Any more takers?

I'm highly likely to be there if I can find somewhere to park (and my wife's health hold up). Me & Crewe station don't get on. The lake looks good. 9am at Chatwins for breakfast was it?

Last edited:
I'm highly likely to be there if I can find somewhere to park (and my wife's health hold up). Me & Crewe station don't get on. The lake looks good. 9am at Chatwins for breakfast was it?
Sounds about right, I'm still planning to be there and have a roll of Portra 800 on standby just in case 'better than average' weather means mild but dull as ditch-water!

Are @Andysnap and @Mrs Snap going to be able to join us, or have they blown all their pocket money/holiday allocation gallivanting round that there London place?

Last edited:
Sorry folks but we are off to the in-laws for the day.

Oops

Last edited:
Oops mk ii

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm going to have to work on Saturday so I'm not going to be able to attend. I hope you all have a great time and the weather is kind, and I'll look forward to seeing some photos.

Sorry to hear that. Working on the weekend is no fun. So out of curiosity, who is going to be there? Apart from me?

I'm thinking of going much later in the day, about 12.30ish.

The actual battle doesn't start 'till 2.00pm

Current Met Office forecast does not look like good camera weather. So I'm ducking out and going to another brother's book launch in Audley Library in the morning.Screenshot_2019-01-25-08-58-49.jpeg

Is that no-one for a 9am start then?

Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 09.51.03.png

That's all I saw on their website. It's not clear that river circle is around grass. Could be anything from their map!

If you zoom in you can't move the map so it just disappears off out of sight.

If you use google maps and search for 'Mill Island, Nantwich' it brings up the main Nantwich town with no reference to where it could be either. I did look.

Screenshot 2019-01-25 .jpg

That's all I saw on their website. It's not clear that river circle is around grass. Could be anything from their map!

That is why I put up a clearer map, their website is not very useful for anyone not familiar with Nantwich.

Last edited:
Met office forecast was an hour out - a few spots of rain at 2pm and p---ing down at 3pm when the battle finished. I think I'm going to make some spikes to fit to the EOS 3 to deal with jostling digital shooters that push infront of me. Think like a mace!

Finally dev'd films from the 'non-meet' - a few of them that I have scanned so far.

015_EOS3_0219_01es.jpg015_EOS3_0219_04s.jpg015_EOS3_0219_05s.jpg

This film seems to have met the dust monster while another done at same time in the same tank seems to have escaped - will have to check my stabiliser bath and drying area.

Last edited:
I suppose dirty faces and rotting teeth were the norm in those days :rolleyes:

Back