F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This was at Glenfinnan, flooded Loch Shiel and the Glenfinnan Monument in the later afternoon sun:

000039490030 by Chris R, on Flickr

This one was at sunset on the last day, at the beach at Onich:

000039510023 by Chris R, on Flickr

Both taken on Portra 400 with the Pentax LX and the Vivitar 35-70 lens.

And yes, I too would like to see some more shots from others! :D

I have just received back my E6 films from AG processing at the moment,should get some up tomorrow. I hope.:)

\o/

Looking forward to seeing them all!

@ChrisR, I really like the symmetry in the second one. The bright sky and mountains are almost perfectly mirrored by the partially water covered stones and the shore, split evenly by the crashing wave. Like it :)

With the first, I'm loving the reflections, and you've held the highlight and shadow details well, in what looks like horrendous dynamic range!

Nice pics @Andysnap . I remember using the ferry at Ballachulish as a child (but they were building the bridge by then).

Well here are my first effects,I have to say I made a schoolboy error with the Bronica kit. When turning to far into the sun,I forgot to adjust exposure.:(

Bronica ETRSI 50mm PE lens and Velvia 50.

\o/

Looking forward to seeing them all!

@ChrisR, I really like the symmetry in the second one. The bright sky and mountains are almost perfectly mirrored by the partially water covered stones and the shore, split evenly by the crashing wave. Like it :)

With the first, I'm loving the reflections, and you've held the highlight and shadow details well, in what looks like horrendous dynamic range!

Thanks Jonathan. The second was pretty much the only one from Friday evening where the highlights are not blown in the scan. I'll have to look when I get the negatives back and see if anything is recoverable. I might try using this scanning technique: https://jrileystewart.com/blog/2018/03/22/unlocking-your-scanner/ (see also a good discussion in the comments to that post.)

The first I also really like. I was a bit dubious about posting it as it seems to me to still have some vestiges of artefacts on the high contrast edges top left, and the trees also look a bit out of focus. But I was pleased with how it came out apart from that!

Thanks Jonathan. The second was pretty much the only one from Friday evening where the highlights are not blown in the scan. I'll have to look when I get the negatives back and see if anything is recoverable. I might try using this scanning technique: https://jrileystewart.com/blog/2018/03/22/unlocking-your-scanner/ (see also a good discussion in the comments to that post.)
Interesting link on the scanning Chris, especially as he has the same scanner as me. I'll give this some decent thought and try rescanning a few frames to see if I get improvements. (y)

Glen Etive, same kit as above.

Glen Etive_Panorama1 small by Andy, on Flickr

The Bridge at Ballaculish

Ballaculish Bridge 1 small by Andy, on Flickr

And a couple from Castle Stalker, Rollei on Portra 160.

Castle Stalker 5 by Andy, on Flickr

Castle Stalker 4 by Andy, on Flickr

and before any smart ar5e says anything, I was on the mainland and stayed well away from the tidal island that the castle sits on. :p:D

I really like the first and last of those, Andy. The first, not only because it's a good photo, but also because it covers roughly the area in my first misty shot from Loch Etive, and it's really interesting to see what's there (and what's not; the wee burn on the hillside when we were there is just visible as a dry watercourse, just 2 days later).

I like the simplicity of the second Castle Stalker shot. I think the dappled and striated reflection does very well for "foreground interest". And the sky is nice and moody.

For me @Andysnap, your first, second and fourth are really nice. The colours in the first are awesome, and I really like the composition in the second; I really struggled to see a decent shot at that location, but you've really got something there.

@medwaygreen, the composition in that first photo is rather nice. Given it was velvia as well, you've kept the detail in all the right places :)

Last edited:
@medwaygreen, the composition in that first photo is rather nice. Given it was velvia as well, you've kept the detail in all the right places :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jonathan.(y)

A bit grainy for some reason but I quite like the feel of it.

Contax 139Q, Yashica 28-85mm lens.

Dark Seas by Andy, on Flickr

Glad to see I'm mainly out of shot in both pictures! You can just see my arm in one of them :LOL:

Probably just light headed from the contents of the glass.

Back