F1 - 2018 discussion

Enjoyed the racing but still think what passes for a strategy dept. in Mercedes need their backsides felt!

Leaving Lewis out for far too long when in could have been in and out in the lead.

Unless of course they accounted for Kimi having to belt it on tyres 8 laps older blistering them and knowing they would hit the cliff with about 5 laps remaining. Thus not being able to hold off Lewis. The only worry is if Lewis’ tyres degraded sitting behind Kimi. But Lewis managed them very well. And that’s the sort of thing that differentiates Lewis. However not everyone sees the home work Lewis and the team put in to get that level of understanding of the race and how it will play out.

Unless of course they accounted for Kimi having to belt it on tyres 8 laps older blistering them and knowing they would hit the cliff with about 5 laps remaining. Thus not being able to hold off Lewis. The only worry is if Lewis’ tyres degraded sitting behind Kimi. But Lewis managed them very well. And that’s the sort of thing that differentiates Lewis. However not everyone sees the home work Lewis and the team put in to get that level of understanding of the race and how it will play out.
Home work? I think you mean dirty tactics and intentional crashing mate.... ;)

I could have sworn I'd already posted this but obviously not.
I couldn't watch the race as other guests at the hotel wanted to watch the football despite them having already watched one game and they would have still seen the one at 6pm.
As the wifi is slow (not prepared to pay rip off data charges on my phone) I've not been able too see any footage of the LH and SV incident.
I'm assuming LH has the racing line and SV didnt conceed?

I couldn't watch the race as other guests at the hotel wanted to watch the football despite them having already watched one game and they would have still seen the one at 6pm.
As the wifi is slow (not prepared to pay rip off data charges on my phone) I've not been able too see any footage of the LH and SV incident.

Pretty Well, Vettal was trying to make a move on Kimi that was never on and went in to the chicane off line. Hamiltion took the racing line and so Vettal found himself out of position and hit Hamiltion which spun the Ferrari round.

Pretty Well, Vettal was trying to make a move on Kimi that was never on and went in to the chicane off line. Hamiltion took the racing line and so Vettal found himself out of position and hit Hamiltion which spun the Ferrari round.

Thanks, that has given me massive grin :D

Reactions: BBR

Thanks but the connection here is like 56k modem with the constant buffering.
My box at home would have recorded it so I'll catch when we get home.

Report on Sky

Charles Leclerc replaces Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in F1 2019

Ferrari turn to youth alongside Sebastian Vettel next season; Raikkonen returns to Sauber on a two-year deal

Charles Leclerc will replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in 2019 as Sebastian Vettel's new team-mate.

But the Finn will be staying in F1 after signing a deal to rejoin Sauber - where he began his career - for 2019 and 2020 in what is effectively a straight swap of seats.

"Dreams do come true," Leclerc posted on Twitter. "I'll be driving for Ferrari for the 2019 Formula 1 World Championship. I will be eternally grateful to Ferrari for the opportunity given."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11491606/kimi-raikkonen-to-leave-ferrari

I’ve been to Silverstone, it cost well over £200, sky is much less than that or now tv sports pass and you get 20 more races, I can’t understand the complaints, Moto gp is only on bt sport but nobody complains about that, just have to watch the highlights 2 days after the race when Twitter has already told you who’s won, if I wanted to know live, I’d have to pay

I’ve been to Silverstone, it cost well over £200, sky is much less than that or now tv sports pass and you get 20 more races, I can’t understand the complaints, Moto gp is only on bt sport but nobody complains about that, just have to watch the highlights 2 days after the race when Twitter has already told you who’s won, if I wanted to know live, I’d have to pay
Sky isn't less than £200 for a year! The cheapest package you can get to watch F1 at the moment is basic channels + Sky Sports F1 which is £38 a month + £20 installation fee. £44 a month if you want it in HD (£42 if you take all the sports channels in HD, a offer running at the moment)! Now TV is admittedly cheaper, next year it would be £160 (20 day passes at £8 but thus no qualifying/practice) or £260 for 20 week passes.

Sky isn't less than £200 for a year! The cheapest package you can get to watch F1 at the moment is basic channels + Sky Sports F1 which is £38 a month + £20 installation fee. £44 a month if you want it in HD (£42 if you take all the sports channels in HD, a offer running at the moment)! Now TV is admittedly cheaper, next year it would be £160 (20 day passes at £8 but thus no qualifying/practice) or £260 for 20 week passes.

I meant just the f1 part of sky, you’d pay £30 for just sky, I just guessed £200, I have my internet and all channels except movies and other sports for around £700 for the year but I would’ve thought the now pass would’ve been cheaper, to sit in the grandstand on the Sunday I went was £160 I think, on top of the general admission for the weekend

I meant just the f1 part of sky, you’d pay £30 for just sky, I just guessed £200, I have my internet and all channels except movies and other sports for around £700 for the year but I would’ve thought the now pass would’ve been cheaper, to sit in the grandstand on the Sunday I went was £160 I think, on top of the general admission for the weekend
Ah I see. As I'd be a new customer, I'd be paying the best part of £40 just to watch 2 races in a month (on average) which just isn't worth it. Shame to think 6yrs ago it was all free, but there we go.

Yes Silverstone is ridiculously expensive eh, I went to Spa a couple of years ago all in (camping, fuel, eurotunnel, GA ticket, based on 4 people sharing a car) for less than the price of Silverstone's GA weekend ticket price.

Yes Silverstone is ridiculously expensive eh, I went to Spa a couple of years ago all in (camping, fuel, eurotunnel, GA ticket, based on 4 people sharing a car) for less than the price of Silverstone's GA weekend ticket price.
Whereas watching the GP last weekend was staggeringly expensive for me, based on one person going by plane (absolutely not Ryanair, I will never give O'Leary any money), staying in a single room in a hotel in central Milan on their busiest weekend of the year, and buying a three day ticket for the covered grandstand at Parabolica.

Money well spent though, and almost certain to repeat the expreience and expenditure next year.

I am finding the official highlights on Youtube enough for any races I can't watch live. Could be different if the rules next year do actually make for more exciting races...but i'm not holding my breath.

I am finding the official highlights on Youtube enough for any races I can't watch live. Could be different if the rules next year do actually make for more exciting races...but i'm not holding my breath.

Dont suppose you've got a link for them, I cant find em at all

2018 FORMULA 1 SINGAPORE AIRLINES SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

SO1LSVI.png

Marina Bay Street Circuit

Lap data
Lap length 5.065km (3.147 miles)
Race laps 61
Race distance 308.965km (191.982 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’50.041 (Daniel Ricciardo, 2016)
Fastest lap 1’43.885 (Sebastian Vettel, 2016, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 323kph (200.703 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and straight to turn seven
Distance from grid to turn one 301m
Full throttle 49%
Longest flat-out section 832m
Downforce level Maximum
Gear changes per lap 70

UK Times
Friday 14th September 2018
Singapore Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 16:30-18:00 (UK time: 9:30-11:00)
Singapore Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 20:30-22:00 (UK time: 13:30-15:00)
Saturday 15th September 2018
Singapore Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 18:00-19:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Singapore Grand Prix Qualifying: 21:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 16th September 2018
Singapore Grand Prix: 20:10 (UK time: 13:10)

Previous Winners
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2010 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2009 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
2008 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault

Videos

Rosberg 2016 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkNz26bTcw

Kubica 2010 onboard
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv5PHoR2-lo

Facts from the last race
In 2001 Monza had a makeover: The first corner was reshaped into the tight turn it is today. Remarkably, the 2018 race was the first of the 18 races held since then that home favourites Ferrari swept the front row of the grid.

Unfortunately for them, this wasn’t the prelude to their first win in front of the Tifosi since Fernando Alonso’s 2010 triumph. This eight-year win-less streak is their longest ever drought on home ground.

Ferrari also went eight years without a Monza victory between Jody Scheckter’s 1979 success and Gerhard Berger’s 1988 win. But Monza wasn’t Italy’s only F1 race at that time: Ferrari took home wins at Imola in the 1982 and 1983 San Marino Grands Prix.

Instead Lewis Hamilton gave Mercedes their fifth consecutive win in the Italian Grand Prix, extending a record they already held. They rubbed it in on the victory lap, telling their drivers to parade side-by-side around the circuit.

At least Kimi Raikkonen got to be the first driver in something other than a Mercedes to lead a lap of this race for the first time in five years, when Sebastian Vettel won for Red Bull. He also broke Juan Pablo Montoya’s 14-year-old record for the fastest lap ever seen in Formula 1 on his way to pole position.

In his 284 race career to date Raikkonen has had far fewer pole positions (18) than fastest laps (46). Raikkonen now has as many pole positions as former Ferrari drivers Rene Arnoux and Mario Andretti – the latter scored the final pole position of his career at Monza 36 years ago.

Raikkonen also became the fifth driver in F1 history to reach 100 podiums. He joins Michael Schumacher (155), Hamilton (128), Vettel (107) and Alain Prost (106). The next-highest driver is Fernando Alonso on 97, though he hasn’t finished on the podium since the 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix.

Hamilton set the fastest lap of the race on his way to victory. Despite the track record falling, his best lap of 1’22.479 was 1.4 seconds off the race lap record, set by Rubens Barrichello in 2004.

It’s been a desperate run of races for Renault-bound Daniel Ricciardo, who’s only finished two of the last six rounds. Red Bull hasn’t scored points with both cars in any of the last six races, something which last happened in 2009.

Sergey Sirotkin took 10th place and the first point of his F1 career. Russia’s third F1 driver joins his predecessors Vitaly Petrov and Daniil Kvyat as a point scorer.

The Williams driver was promoted to 10th place following the disqualification of Romain Grosjean. Disqualifications are rare in Formula 1: The last driver to be excluded from the race results was Felipe Massa, when his pre-start tyre temperatures and pressures were found to be too high at the 2015 Brazilian Grand Prix.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
DmQR-lcUcAAFMUd.jpg

Championship Standings
YMy9mNx.png

fVQ72Ee.png

Apart from the start and Sergio, it was very boring for me.

It was nice to see Seb a bit crestfallen though!

Last edited:
And Ferrari tweeted the winner was boredom!

They’re getting a lot of criticism for the tweet, even from Ferrari fans.

Lots of unhappy fans who don’t think Vettel should be in the Ferrari anymore as well :p

6 races left, 42 point differential between 1st and 2nd and Seb 40 points behind. Needs to win EVERY remaining race with Lewis in 2nd to win the WC by 2 points then.

Ref Seb's attitude, I think he is realising that despite having the arguably fastest car he is being out raced by Lewis and he doesn't like it.
He would get more respect (from me at least) if he presented a united front with the team, similar to the Merc drivers, win and lose together. The rumour is that the Ferrari mechanics are getting a bit sick of him too which would be a downward cycle if that's the case.

Ref Seb's attitude, I think he is realising that despite having the arguably fastest car he is being out raced by Lewis and he doesn't like it.
He would get more respect (from me at least) if he presented a united front with the team, similar to the Merc drivers, win and lose together. The rumour is that the Ferrari mechanics are getting a bit sick of him too which would be a downward cycle if that's the case.

I wonder if thats a ferrari thing when things aren't going their way. No word of it with schumacher when he was winning all the time. However, Kimi, Seb, Fernando...

Kimi's always been "economical" with his words!

Not too sure if it's a Ferrari thing, Kimi has always said what he thinks when he actually speaks that is, Fernando, well, he's not known for his diplomacy really and Seb has shown moments of brat'ish behaviour in the past with Red Bull. Suppose you could say Ferrari have been picking a certain type of driver in recent times I guess.

I suspect Leclerc will be more diplomatic with the press next year. Seb may explode if Leclerc does a Ricciardo on him.

Fingers crossed!!!

How has Perez avoided any real punishment, huge points loading on his licence, a ban etc. That was two deliberate moves to force the other driver to back off, at the wrong time and wrong place. First he puts his teammate off, then tries the same to the Williams and comes off worse. Shocking

Sounds like Hartley is out.

There could be two comeback stories at Toro Rosso in 2019 with Pascal Wehrlein rumoured to replace Brendon Hartley.

Daniil Kvyat is set to be announced at the Russian Grand Prix with contracts reportedly signed over the weekend in Singapore after twice being ditched by the Red Bull junior team in 2017.

Now another ex-F1 driver in Wehrlein could be drafted back in from the cold after Mercedes said they would part ways with him at the end of the 2018 season.

And Wehrlein himself has confirmed that he is in talks over a Formula 1 return.

“I am looking for new challenges and opportunities, and am currently talking to other teams about a seat for next season,” Wehrlein revealed.

Both Sky Sports and French outlet L’Equipe believe that Toro Rosso are the team ready to give him another chance after he lost his Sauber drive to make way for Charles Leclerc.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wehrlein-poised-for-return-with-toro-rosso/

Daniil the torpedo back as well? Oh dear...

2018 FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX

mbleDUS.png

Sochi Autodrom

Lap data
Lap length 5.848km (3.634 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 309.745km (192.467 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’39.094 (Nico Rosberg, 2016)
Fastest lap 1’35.337 (Nico Rosberg, 2016, qualifying two)
Maximum speed 343.1kph (213.192 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 1029.5m
Full throttle 50%
Longest flat-out section 1073m
Downforce level Medium
Fuel use per lap 1.98kg

UK Times
Friday 28th September 2018
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 29th September 2018
Russian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Russian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 30th September 2018
Russian Grand Prix: 14:10 (UK time: 12:10)

Previous Winners
2017 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes Sochi
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

2015 highlights on board
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wcugpu_DSA

Facts from the last race
In Singapore the top six drivers on the grid were all in the same order when the chequered flag fell.

That’s only happened on one other occasion in Formula 1 history. That was at this year’s Monaco Grand Prix.

These were also two of the three races so far where Pirelli’s hyper-soft tyre has made an appearance.

Lewis Hamilton is now a four-time winner on the streets of Singapore, equalling Sebastian Vettel’s record. The 11 Singapore Grands Prix to date have only had four different winners so far: these two plus Nico Rosberg and Fernando Alonso (though Felipe Massa might have something to say about how he lost the inaugural race to the latter).

Hamilton is in a fine streak of form. He’s only dropped seven points from a potential haul of 125 over the last five races. Vettel has been the next-highest scorer in that time, but Hamilton has out-scored him by 118 to 70.

As a result Hamilton now leads the points race by 40. Unless Vettel makes inroads into Hamilton’s lead at the next race, Hamilton could finish second to Vettel in all the remaining races and still take the title. His position of strength in the championship comes despite Vettel having a better average qualifying position (2.13 to 2.87) and having spent more laps in the lead than anyone (341 to Hamilton’s 299).

While Hamilton added to his career totals for pole positions (79) and wins (69), Kevin Magnussen and Haas broke new ground by setting their first fastest laps. Magnussen is the 130th driver to do so (his father Jan never did during his F1 career) and Haas the 34th different team.

For the ninth year in a row a Red Bull finished on the podium and for the fourth year running it was in second place. It wasn’t Daniel Ricciardo this time, however, but Max Verstappen.

Fernando Alonso gave McLaren their best result since the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. It was also only the second time since that race he’s finished on the lead lap.

Nico Hulkenberg marked his 150th start but his wait for a first podium appearance goes on. Meanwhile Kimi Raikkonen is now on course to break Rubens Barrichello’s record for most race starts.

Raikkonen has 285 to his name so far but his new two-year deal with Sauber should propel him past Barrichello’s tally of 322 at some time during the 2020 F1 season. Had Raikkonen not spent two years out of the sport from 2010-11, missing 38 races, he could have broken the record last weekend.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
DnY0Ig3V4AA8lKB.jpg

Championship Standings
CfnP8rD.png

tJ4Tsai.png

Back