F1 - 2018 discussion

It wasn’t F1 though, Formula 1 only started in 1950.

It did not say F1, it said - "Mercedes has never entered a Grand Prix without one of them in their car".
You are therefore basing your statement on something entirely different.
The Twitter quote is completely wrong - as are so many things on Twitter.

It did not say F1, it said - "Mercedes has never entered a Grand Prix without one of them in their car".
You are therefore basing your statement on something entirely different.
The Twitter quote is completely wrong - as are so many things on Twitter.

Other than the fact it references F1 in the first sentence I might have agreed with you.

PS

It’s not from Twitter...

Other than the fact it references F1 in the first sentence I might have agreed with you.

PS

It’s not from Twitter...

Keep on digging Dave.
At the top of post #395, it definitely says - "from Twitter".
Grand Prix racing was around long before F1 was even dreamt of. It has been going since 1895, and some of the most iconic cars in motor racing were winning - Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Auto Union, Mercedes, Maserati, Talbot, ERA etc, and drivers such as Rosemeyer, Ascari, Fangio.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/gpw3.htm

I got it from twitter but I think it’s from reddit and I didn’t fact check it so I will do that next time lol

Does it really matter?

EktiCa.gif

:D

Keep on digging Dave.
At the top of post #395, it definitely says - "from Twitter".

The only digging is the giant hole of ignorance you’ve dug to sit in.

It’s a Reddit post, if you don’t know what Reddit is, better not to argue, not so?

EB75-E002-4-E74-40-A8-8285-059745816-D51.jpg

You see the little clue I’ve underlined and arrowed? r/formula1

724-B56-E0-BF76-4-F14-9-C76-3-DCACE0-C9-BB7.jpg

Here’s the direct link: https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/

It’s a pleasure to educate you on Reddit...

2018 FORMULA 1 GRANDE PRÊMIO HEINEKEN DO BRASIL

HRpLoMB.png

Autódromo José Carlos Pace

Lap data
Lap length 4.309km (2.677 miles)
Race laps 71
Race distance 305.909km (190.083 miles)
Pole position Right-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’11.473 (Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004)
Fastest lap 1’09.822 (Rubens Barrichello, 2004, qualifying one)
Maximum speed 310kph (192.625 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and Reta Oposta straight
Distance from grid to turn one 334m
Full throttle 50%
Longest flat-out section 1394m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 42
Fuel use per lap 1.35kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.042s

UK Times
Friday 9th November 2018
Brazilian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Brazilian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 15:00-16:30 (UK time: 17:00-18:30)
Saturday 10th November 2018
Brazilian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 12:00-13:00 (UK time: 14:00-15:00)
Brazilian Grand Prix Qualifying: 15:00 (UK time: 17:00)
Sunday 11th November 2018
Brazilian Grand Prix: 15:10 (UK time: 17:10)

Previous Winners
2017 Germany Sebastian Vettel Ferrari Interlagos
2016 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2011 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2009 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2008 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2007 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2006 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2005 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya McLaren-Mercedes
2004 Colombia Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW
2003 Italy Giancarlo Fisichella Jordan-Ford
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 United Kingdom David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes
2000 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari

Videos

2017 on board race highlights
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSWm4KT9TY

1992 onboard start Mansell and Senna
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTEl-dNKVw

Facts from the last race

With the fifth win of his Formula 1 career, Max Verstappen set a new record for having won the most races without ever having started from pole position.

Eddie Irvine and Bruce McLaren each won four grands prix but never qualified on pole position. Of course they will get their record back if Verstappen ever gets his first pole.

Daniel Ricciardo took pole in Mexico by 0.026 seconds, the second-closest pole-winning margin this year (Valtteri Bottas beat Lewis Hamilton by 0.019s in Austria). It was his third career pole position.

That probably cost Verstappen his last and best chance to become the youngest person ever to set pole position for an F1 race. Sebastian Vettel holds the record having been 21 years and 139 days old when he set pole for the 2008 Italian Grand Prix.

Verstappen was 21 years and 32 days old last Saturday, and only has two chances left this year to beat the record. Not that he’s particularly excited about that prospect, as he explained on Sunday. “The record for me is not a big deal,” he said. “The points and stuff are always on Sunday and that’s the most important thing.”

He’s doing well by that measure: this was his seventh consecutive top-five finish. That plus Ricciardo’s fourth retirement in the last seven races has seen Verstappen go from lagging 37 points behind his team mate after the first six races, to being an un-catchable 70 points ahead with two to go. Remarkably, he’s only 20 points off third-placed Raikkonen in the drivers’ championship.

And Verstappen is emphatically the youngest driver ever to win a race. Having scored his first win in the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix, he has added four subsequent wins and is still younger than the next-youngest race winner.

Fourth place for Hamilton ended a nine-race streak of podium finishes which is the second-longest of his career, tying with his first nine races for McLaren in 2007. But more importantly it secured his fifth world championship title.

Hamilton needs to win two more titles and 20 more races to equal Michael Schumacher’s records of seven and 91 respectively. He could make inroads on the latter by winning one of the two remaining races this year. This would be the first time Hamilton has won a race in a season in which he’d already clinched the title, though it bears pointing out he has only entered five races under those circumstances (three in 2015 and two in 2017).

Finally, eighth place for Stoffel Vandoorne meant he scored his first point for 15 races. With Force India failing to score, it gives McLaren a realistic chance of holding on to sixth in the championship.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
DqwA2LJWkAEErVU.jpg

Championship Standings
lD1tCw3.png

PBdXILI.png

So it seems Ricciardos 5 place penalty in Brazil ultimately stems from a marshal in Mexico filling his exhaust and turbo with fire extinguisher foam unnecessary after his engine failure...do sometimes have to wonder at the full logic of the penalty system...

Maybe the marshal should have let the car burn out.

Seems Seb could be in trouble again.

Will have to wait for til after he's spoken to the stewards but it would appear pretty clear cut, he refused to cut the engine while being weighed then wrecked the weights driving off them under engine power instead of being pushed off. Understandable he was in a hurry but a bit petulant all the same.

Think Lewis will probably get away without any issue from his couple of blocking moves, one on someones out lap and the other Kimi didn't have to lift at all.

Can't believe vettel got away with his petulance in qualifying. He shot those scales backwards at marshalls. That looked very dangerous.

Mature drive by Hamilton but very lucky to get the win. The red bulls were on form today

Verstapen and ocon summoned to the stewards after a bit of pushing.
I'm liking verstapen even more now, F1 needs a character again.

Verstapen and ocon summoned to the stewards after a bit of pushing.
I'm liking verstapen even more now, F1 needs a character again.

needs to grow up a bit though, all too often he wines about a racing incident that he could of avoided. Ocon was faster and would of either driven off and Verstappen could of remained ahead of hamilton.

Hamilton gave him solid feedback in the warm down room

Annoying Martin Brundle harping on about something about the leader has right of way. Would be good to know where this is written in the rules, because the right to unlap yourself certainly is, as Lewis reminded Max in the cool down room

Max had the win but he always has to learn the hard way, I doubt he will be so impulsive racing back markers in the future

Max had the win but he always has to learn the hard way, I doubt he will be so impulsive racing back markers in the future
Its interesting he calls other drivers idiots for making moves that he would be prone to making, rose tinted visor!

Max is young, he'll learn from Brazil, no doubt he'll have other hard lessons to learn in the near future but he is a good racer and is very quick. Better he learns now before the RB is capable of challenging for a championship I guess.

I'd class myself as a Lewis fan but I do like Max, he has that raw talent and the arrogance of youth to not be intimidated by any of the other drivers, similar to Lewis when he first started in F1, chucking it down the inside on Kimi from a fair way back at Monza.

Red Bulls are going to be looking good next year with the rule changes if the Honda engine can produce the power reliably. Looks like it's been doing much better this year

Max is young, he'll learn from Brazil, no doubt he'll have other hard lessons to learn in the near future but he is a good racer and is very quick. Better he learns now before the RB is capable of challenging for a championship I guess.

I'd class myself as a Lewis fan but I do like Max, he has that raw talent and the arrogance of youth to not be intimidated by any of the other drivers, similar to Lewis when he first started in F1, chucking it down the inside on Kimi from a fair way back at Monza.
Agreed he does, but you get the feeling he is a bit inconsistent, the type who will provide the spectacular crash or win in emphatic style and not much in between, In the current climate a couple of crashes in a season is the difference between a WDC title and the guy no one remembers coming 2nd in the WDC. Sort of Stirling Moss-esque

She has a spinal fracture apparently.

Oh, hope she's ok. Not trivialising a spinal fracture but given the severity and the big stop she suffered, it's a miracle it wasn't worse. The 'stop' puts me in mind of Bianchi's accident.

Did anyone watch The Billy Monger Story last night? What an amazing young man.

Did anyone watch The Billy Monger Story last night? What an amazing young man.

I thought it brilliant, saw the crash live on tv so have followed his career since. He's had some good podiums in British F3 this year in his first season back.
Can I just add what an amazing family as well, especially his sister.

Also thought Lewis Hamilton came out well, without imposing too much on the story.

She has a spinal fracture apparently.

Possibly from landing.

We used to run a race team running Formula 3 cars and my brother suffered a spinal fracture when hitting a sausage kerb, launching into the air and crashing down afterwards. He was winded and the suspension was damaged but still managed to finish the race. However when he came into parc ferme, he needed help from the medical team to be extracted from the car. The driver seats on a moulded foam seat, usually a combination of polystyrene beads held together by a resin. This section of seat is attached to a carbon fibre shell with special latches so that extraction straps can be quickly strapped in place. The seat belts are usually done up so tightly it's on the verge of hurting, but with a quick release buckle. Shoulder straps hold down the HANS device which is tethered to the helmet, which helps prevent the head moving forwards too much.

My brother was taken to hospital for scans and x-rays and the verdict was a compression fracture to vertebra, but was lucky and was able to walk away and was out racing again shortly afterwards.

Back