Facebook and copyright

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've created a Facebook page for my photographs and while I was looking through other's facebook pages saw that another photogrpaher had posted a "Privacy Statement" on their wall (...Facebook is now a public entity and I do not give them the authority to use my pictures without my permission etc.....)
Now after a quick Google search on this Privacy Statement, it turns out to be a hoax and is not a legal statement in any way (there have been similar statements shared on Facebook in 2012 and 2013)..... however I have done some more digging to see if there is any truth behind this and I came across their terms and conditions page....
https://m.facebook.com/legal/terms
Within this document it states

"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, such as photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy andapplication settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide licence to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP Licence). This IP Licence ends when you delete your IP content or your account, unless your content has been shared with others and they have not deleted it."

And also

"When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people not on Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e. your name and profile picture)."

Now as my photography page is public (I don't want just my friends to see it) does that mean that anyone can access my page, take my pictures and use them without my permission?

If anybody has come across this before or can clear it up that would be brilliant!

Thank you,
Megan

No, it means that you give them permission to put them on the website so that others can look at them, not download them and use them for whatever other use they may have.

OK. ..it does say "access and use" though. Sorry if I seem like I'm being over cautious, but I have had an online magazine take one of my pictures from facebook and use it in the past without my knowledge (one of my friends happened to see it and told me!)- I didn't really mind as I was glad for the exposure if I'm being honest but I'm looking into taking my photography further so I suppose I am just being over cautious for the future.

Back