Facebook scam, how do I report?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
On my facebook feed this morning, some familiar pics popped up for a lens for sale locally. The pics are familiar because I took them! I sold the lens on ebay a couple of weeks ago to a gentleman in Germany. You can even see my reflection on one of the pics. The listing is a typically vague description as if written by someone who knows bugger all about the lens but does claim the photos are of the actual lens. The reporting options on facebook are all multiple choice, none of which are appropriate to this particular listing. Never the less I reported both the listing and the seller to facebook over 10 hours ago and the ad is still live. Matter for the police or am I over reacting? Just not keen to see people being scammed.

I wouldn't go jumping to too many conclusions.. If somsone has the lens for sale somehow and doesnt have any pics they may have searched and used your.. wrong yes but don't think the police would be impressed:)

I wouldn't go jumping to too many conclusions.. If somsone has the lens for sale somehow and doesnt have any pics they may have searched and used your.. wrong yes but don't think the police would be impressed:)

There's a few things that mark it out as fishy. They specifically say the photos are of their lens, saying something like, 'see photos for condition'. They describe the lens very badly, not quite wrong but if you knew anything about it and wanted to sell it, you'd not describe it that way. And it is listed about half it's true value. I'd have said it looked dodgy even without the picture thing. My suspicion is that the police are unlikely to be interested regardless.

Last edited:
There's a few things that mark it out as fishy. They specifically say the photos are of their lens, saying something like, 'see photos for condition'. They describe the lens very badly, not quite wrong but if you knew anything about it and wanted to sell it, you'd not describe it that way. And it is listed about half it's true value. I'd have said it looked dodgy even without the picture thing. My suspicion is that the police are unlikely to be interested regardless.

Haa right ... I think you did your bit then informing facebook and now it's down to them .. if its in a for sale group page? then maybe a message to the admins ?

Haa right ... I think you did your bit then informing facebook and now it's down to them .. if its in a for sale group page? then maybe a message to the admins ?

Cheers. I’ll check though think it’s just local marketplace thing.

Been happening on ebay for years, people receiving very well wrapped bricks with the package weight matching that of the real product. The scammers would just search for random images of the gear, even straight up swipe them from other ads that were current at the time.

Sadly, someone may end up with a brick here, but there's very little you can do bar report to FB and to the Admins on the page the advert is live. I would comment underneath it saying those were my pics and this lens is long since sold already

Back