Facebook

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Like a lot of others I put my photos online ,for the pleasure of others and also to get feedback on what actually works against what I think works .. my favourite every all time go to first place is FLICKR where I can then download high quality images to places/ forums like this ..

But for the last couple/few years I have also used Facebook which does have a very wide coverage ,however recently I have noticed it becoming more and more dysfunctional with splinter groups spreading ever further there seems to be a new group for everything of late and I don’t find the latest updates to there system very helpfull either .. anyone else feel the same it’s taking far to much of my time up and just causing me to get fed up with it all

I do a fair bit of running and there are lots of local clubs etc which have their own pages. Decided to LEAVE all of them as I was spending way too much time looking at the posts and replying to them.

Can say I use it that much but I agree about the latest update, although bear in mind that their aim is to keep you on facebook longer so an update that causes confusion is a good thing for them.

but I agree about the latest update,
I've heard people mention this, nothing has changed for me :thinking:
I only use it to keep updated with family and friends (some far flung)
And only have people I have met or related to, on my page.
Maybe a couple of exceptions proves that rule.

But then I don't "covet" or "collect" friends. I have a couple of dozen or so and that's it.
My page is locked.. I don't need or want total strangers snooping in.
And that includes everyone I work with....

TBH its seems that many people on there are so insecure that they need to be "liked" at every opportunity...

I only use it to keep updated with family and friends (some far flung)
And only have people I have met or related to, on my page.
Maybe a couple of exceptions proves that rule.

But then I don't "covet" or "collect" friends. I have a couple of dozen or so and that's it.

TBH its seems that many people on there are so insecure that they need to be "liked" at every opportunity...

You won't have a choice in September, the old template will be going for good. I got a pop up a couple weeks back asking me if I wanted to try the new style [I only ever check in on PC and it's been a choice on there at least for a while now] I declined but somewhere in there it said the change would be compulsary very soon [some date in Sep I forget]

I don't use it very much , occasionally I post up some photos to share with family, or I'll throw up some music I happen to be liking at the time ... I don't get involved in any BS politics or gossip. Keep meaning to do a good clear out of nosey runt contacts, 50% or more of them never make any kind of contact.

Agree it can be a pain to use but it’s handy for local and national wildlife groups
Can be so useful, I found out about a site near to me for damselflies that I didn’t know about

I've only been on FB for a couple of years, and only signed up because some courses I was doing provided their support through facebook groups. I've joined a few other groups since then (mainly Capture One user groups, but a couple of others).

I still find it irritating to use, but I have found that many pubs and restaurants etc no longer have web sites, and the only way to check opening times, menus and such, is on their facebook page, which gets blocked if you aren't a facebook member.

Additionally, while looking for a house, I've found that while not all villages have their own community web page, many have a community facebook page, which usually has useful information about life in that particular village.

So I find it useful, but can't say I enjoy the "user" experience.

Only in it for groups now - not even count any friends as a few used FB as a platform to spout religious or political nonsense, or strange beliefs. Brexit was the last straw. Religious friends who posted JC images always had a reply from me saying Happy Robert Powell Day.

I use only Flickr for images, FB to talk about Saabs and Pentax gear or follow what's going on in my hometown, When I 'deleted' my friends, only muted protest.

You won't have a choice in September, the old template will be going for good. I got a pop up a couple weeks back asking me if I wanted to try the new style
I never even got that :thinking:
Nor did I "get" the last "new" update.
Seems I'm the poor relation :(

:LOL:

I never even got that :thinking:
Nor did I "get" the last "new" update.
Seems I'm the poor relation :(

:LOL:

Mine was auto changed to the new style today, I was able to switch back but only for now, it is definitely going. The new design is clearly aimed at mobile devices, but at least there's a dark theme

Mine was auto changed to the new style today,
I just logged on and did a page refresh ...
Nope, no changes here.

The new design is clearly aimed at mobile devices,
Why do they do that?
My bank keeps telling me to get the App... No! f*** off!

Nope, no changes here.

Why do they do that?

I just don't like using phones but these days you just can't avoid it. I don't have any bank apps but some insist on sending authorisation codes to them.

but some insist on sending authorisation codes to them.
I don't mind those texts, but there is no way I'm using apps for anything important.

Nope, no changes here.

Why do they do that?

They're probably rolling it out in stages, you will have to suffer it eventually though

I detest app versions of sites I use on the PC too, in particular banking apps. Mine now auto opens specifically for my account number, I just add the p-word and then security code where I had to manually input my open24 number on top in the past. Surely this makes it less secure?? :thinking: It also means my partner can no longer check her account using my phone. You cannot even check theirfull site via mobile.

I detest app versions of sites I use on the PC too, in particular banking apps.
I never use them on the PC. As above the banking app wants me to. Its got no chance.

You cannot even check their full site via mobile.
I've noticed that. One weather site I do use on the phone only has a cut down version.
It won't let me down load the full desk top version, even if I go via the likes of FF.

Surely this makes it less secure??
I would have thought so too.

I'm 99.9% logging into my bank on the PC [the main site, not the app version on PC I just phrased that earlier arseways] , but there will be thoese times I just need to check my balance when I'm out. I certainly wouldn't be performing important tasks through the app like transfers or payments, just doesn't feel as secure and the app lacks any kind of fluidity - you always feel you're about to get logged out mid transaction.

Last edited:
I just don't like using phones but these days you just can't avoid it. I don't have any bank apps but some insist on sending authorisation codes to them.

The bank gave me no choice last year (HSBC). I was forced to use the app or leave. I hate being near mobiles and even more I hate facebook (and google and twitter and apple for that reason too)

I'm 99.9% logging into my bank on the PC [the main site, not the app version on PC I just phrased that earlier arseways]
Its Ok I got what you meant :)

just doesn't feel as secure and the app lacks any kind of fluidity - you always feel you're about to get logged out mid transaction.
I'm totally with you on that too (y)

FB is a bit of a 'damned if ya do ....' type thing. It's often the fastest way to get hold of someone [I know many who check in to FB before they will ever check phone messages or email] and the easiest way to share photo albums, video or simply that song you were telling them about [or movie trailer] ... but the negatives often outweigh any of that. I've had people ask me "why are you never on there?" or "Did you see the thing I posted?" - erm, because I have an offline life maybe? and No, because I don't care .. I spend more time on TP than I do on FB :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I nearly forgot to post my favourite comment on FB .... :D

59827_WiOMq.jpg

Another one here who left nosebook years ago, hate it , it was ok for meeting old friends at the start then you realise if you wanted to keep in touch that much you’d still be in contact anyway , so I gladly left it a number of years ago.

We're with HSBC and still use a conventional computer.

Yes, but the app is mandatory to get the login code. Before it used to be that red and black keypad.

I’ve been with HSBC since they took over Midland Bank and was with Midland bank long before that so am reluctant to switch but I’ve always felt HSBC we’re behind the curve in technology and even now their apps and website are so complicated to use compared to say Santander that using it causes me genuine stress and I just end up using my Santander accounts or even better PayPal!

I like you Cobra

:banana::banana::banana::banana::p:p:p

Well it seems I spoke to soon, I got the update, just as the option for reverting to the "old" style ran out.
I guess as I'm not paying for it ;)
I shouldn't moan.
But when they asked me for feedback well they got it in all senses of the word :D

Last edited:
For sale: One grumpy pink snake, has been known to bite - offers IRO £5 to Facebook Inc.

Yes, but the app is mandatory to get the login code. Before it used to be that red and black keypad.

What is the problem. I have been using the keypad for many years and continue to do so. There is no compulsion to change. I do not do any banking on a phone. Never had a FB account either.

Dave

Facebook. The consumer version of Cambridge Analytica.

Facebook will be remembered in future history as the catalyst for the gradual destruction (by dumbing down) of the human race. :mad:

Like a lot of others I put my photos online ,for the pleasure of others and also to get feedback on what actually works against what I think works .. my favourite every all time go to first place is FLICKR where I can then download high quality images to places/ forums like this ..

But for the last couple/few years I have also used Facebook which does have a very wide coverage ,however recently I have noticed it becoming more and more dysfunctional with splinter groups spreading ever further there seems to be a new group for everything of late and I don’t find the latest updates to there system very helpfull either .. anyone else feel the same it’s taking far to much of my time up and just causing me to get fed up with it all
Facebook have little incentive to innovate and keep up a high quality of service. They don't imagine people will leave if they don't solve their problems. As in many cases they cut off all connection to their friends and family if they leave.
Be sure to keep your connection to friends on the decentralised networks. Where it doesn't matter which one you join, you can still connect to them on their network. Much like email works between any provider. There are many thousands of ActivityPub compatible networks for example. Where you can chop and change networks easily. They even transfer your contacts for you if you want. Pixelfed is one of the photo oriented ones that is growing in popularity. The fact that you can choose any network on it'S merit, and they don't cut you off if you change, is why they are set to become dominant in future, as people gradually get fed up with the problems Facebook has created.

Last edited:
Only in it for groups now - not even count any friends as a few used FB as a platform to spout religious or political nonsense, or strange beliefs. Brexit was the last straw. Religious friends who posted JC images always had a reply from me saying Happy Robert Powell Day.

I use only Flickr for images, FB to talk about Saabs and Pentax gear or follow what's going on in my hometown, When I 'deleted' my friends, only muted protest.

Who the hell is Robert Powell?

Back