Facepalm Wednesday

Name
Ewan
Edit My Images
Yes
Perfect preparation prevents poor performance.

First wee jaunt out with the camera since my knee operation. Bit parky but that's OK, wasn't going far and don't mind the cold too much and was sensibly dressed. Walking over the car bridge trying to decide whether to head up or down river. Flash of iridescence catches my eye. Looks down and theres a Kingfisher about 15ft from where I stood. Gets the camera out in a hurry. Big lens is on, ready to go. The low winter sun is catching the blue of his feathers perfectly, he's framed on a perfect solo perch as if I've plonked him there myself. Breath in and press the shutter, nowt happens, looks again, everything is on, battery is fine, exposure is set. Looks back through the viewfinder, the bold boy is still there, practically saying "Cheese! Look at my glowing blue plumage, take ma photo then ya bam" presses the shutter again. Nothing. He sods off then the camera activates.

Had only left the timer setting on from a family picture shoot the other week hadn't I?

Ha! Happens to us all, I now make sure I put everything back to "standard" either before the camera goes back in the bag, or when I get home and download the images.

Happened to me on Sunday. Kept pressing the shutter and - nothing.
I had been calibrating my 85mm and had the shutter set to remote. duh

I had the 'self timer' thing happen when some waxwings arrived unexpectedly in the garden last winter! Fortunately I realised my chumpery and managed to grab some photos before they left. These days I make a point of always resetting my camera back to 'normal' each time after using it, leaving the command dial set on 'P' as a starting point so it's ready to grab a shot if necessary as soon as I pick it up.

Last edited:
Back