Failing Sandisk external SSD's

Which is why you should back up to (at least) two media from different vendors (and you need to ensure those really are different - Western Digital & SanDisk are the same manufacturer for instance)

I think that after being in IT for now 37 years starting in serial comms with CPM machines I can safely say the risk of storage failure now its tiny.
for sure take a copy of your stuff or use cloud backup but these folk that do 2 or even 3 generation backups you're just burning cash

I had one (sandisk SSD) fail while on a trip luckily I had backed up the work , I had had it 5 months got a refund from Amazon
Steve recommended the Samsung on another thread I bought one and it’s been great

I think that after being in IT for now 37 years starting in serial comms with CPM machines I can safely say the risk of storage failure now its tiny.
for sure take a copy of your stuff or use cloud backup but these folk that do 2 or even 3 generation backups you're just burning cash
To be honest it only has to happen once and it’s a disaster, I agree hardware now is reliable but storage isn’t that expensive and the no harm in a belt and braces approach
as I mentioned before I had a sandisk SSD fail while on a trip abroad and i had backed up twice to a couple of normal external drives , as far as I am concerned for the few minutes it takes extra backups are a good idea

Reactions: Nod
I was in IT for somewhat longer than that and I disagree. Yes, the hardware is much better but, having seen companies learn various hard lessons (who knew that large disk drives would efficiently erase mag tapes left on top of them?) I shall continue to have multiple generations of backups on different media. In one role good backups let me recover emails to prove that one employee had been passing info to another who had just left.

Back