Beginner Family shot with background settings?

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I've been thinking about this and have been getting confused. I'm still very much a beginner but have an understanding of most of the settings on my camera now and what things do. I normally like taking action shots of my dogs and some landscape photos with long exposures etc, I 'kind of' know what I'm doing there.

In a couple of weeks we're going away to the Lake District and will be doing plenty of hill walking. I will want to use my tripod to capture some shots of us with a nice backdrop. I'm confused on the best settings to keep us all in focus, plus a nice clear background? I'm thinking higher f number, ISO as low as possible and shutter speed at whatever I can get away with vs ISO (if that makes sense). I know it probably depends on what direction the light is coming from and how light it is too.

Sorry for the silly question!! Thanks.

Hi Matt,

Light conditions are the determining element in all shootings.

Start with low ISO, ƒ8, 1/200 s and adjust according to the
available light and the priority you have in mind.

The other vital thing to remember is subject to background distance. The closer your subject, the more out of focus your background will be, no matter what the aperture.

Thank you both, appreciated.

That's what I thought Mark, obviously we don't want to be standing too close.

Start with low ISO, ƒ8, 1/200 s and adjust according to the available light and the priority you have in mind.
Assuming f16-Sunny, and a lowest ISO of 100, that would be about right for a bright clear sunny day... we can tell you are a kanook, cant we? How often have you seen a bright clear sunny day in the North of England's Lake District? Lol!

Whilst most of Canada is 'north' of the 42nd parallel, you do realize that so is ALL of the isles of Britain, and that Hadrian's Wall, that marks boundary between England and Scotland is all above 54DegN, and Canada does't have much settlement at all above that... whilst most of this Little country is pretty close to sea-level, and rarely more than 80 miles from the sea.... so we get almost as much rain as Seattle! Clear sunny days are rare... especially this summer! Lol!

Hi all, I've been thinking about this and have been getting confused. I'm still very much a beginner but have an understanding of most of the settings on my camera now and what things do. I normally like taking action shots of my dogs and some landscape photos with long exposures etc, I 'kind of' know what I'm doing there.

Stop thinking so much... Hintimation is you are trying to get pretentious and 'Go-Manuel' for some reason..... why? The automatic and semi automatic 'modes' are there to help you not hinder, if they are confusing you, DON'T use them! Simples!

You have umpety gazillion hours of 'expert' programming packed into your cameras electrickery, and them folk that programmed the thing probably knew a lot better what exposure settings would be more or less useful for a given ambient lighting and focus distance, and better still if you have given the thing a few more clues by way of an icon setting, than you do right now, and can make them settings and change them in an instant... so WHY buy a fancy all singing, all dancing auto-everything expert program electric-picture maker to turn all that off, and try using it like a clock-work film camera?

In a couple of weeks we're going away to the Lake District and will be doing plenty of hill walking. I will want to use my tripod to capture some shots of us with a nice backdrop. I'm confused on the best settings to keep us all in focus, plus a nice clear background? I'm thinking higher f number, ISO as low as possible and shutter speed at whatever I can get away with vs ISO (if that makes sense). I know it probably depends on what direction the light is coming from and how light it is too.

I'd be thinking day-glow doggy coats, neon ice-cream van's, getting in on the shot and adding distractg blobs of olour n the corners of the frame, and dodging groups of townies trying to walk three abreast along foot wide paths on steep slopes, mad-mountain-biker's, oblivious that foot-paths are no different in the hills than a city shopping precinct, and how quickly the weather can change up on them fells.....

Aperture, Shutter and ISO Settings would be about the last thing I would be worrying about, let alone fretting over, let alone before I even got there! And a tripod? Walking up a big hill? Rather you than me mate... especially when it comes to them three abreast townies and mad down-hill wannabees!

The f16 sunny rule our maple munching mate there alluded to, isn't far off, though that's the 'best' you'll likely see in the UK... when its not cloudy, wet or hissing it down... ambient light levels out-doors with good day-light without 'too' much cloud, you may get a shutter 1/ISO at f16.

That means that even if you rigidly adhere to the lowest ISO of 100, you shouldn't need let the shutter drop beneath maybe 1/50th, which aught be plenty to be hand-holding, with all but a telephoto-lens, and what would you be doing trying to take landscapes with one of them? And even which-way, what's the problem going up one or two ISO's? Especially on a subject that's reasonably well lit, contains a good range of tones and aught not be overly contrasty; its hardly stretching the limits where 'noise' is likely to become an issue, is it?

IF you are determined to 'go-manual' then you are fretting about the wrong manual control.... issue I suspect is you are worried that focusing on a near-mid distance group of people, the back-ground will drop Out-of-Focus, hence you want to tighten up the aperture to max DoF..... WRONG...

DoF extends 1/3 infront of your focus range, 2/3 behind.... and is a proportion of the focus range, up until you reach the 'hyper-focal-distance', which is when the infinity mark on the focus scale falls inside the DoF brackets at set aperture.... which is getting technical.... but the infinity mark comes up earlier on shorter lenses, so shooting 'wide' you are likely at Hyperfocal-distance, at any aperture tighter than f8 at any focus range greater than about 15ft.. about the length of a car..... and that would be with a 50mm lens.....anything wider, hyper-focal will come up even shorter....

Which is to say, you are PROBABLY worrying about nothing....

B-U-T exploiting ;selective-focus' rather than 'long/short DoF effects... go-manual FOCUS..... it's probably the more useful and less used 'manual' setting on your camera....

B-U-T.. now you can push the focus range back, behind your subjects.. increasing the focus range, will increase the DoF, that's a proportion of it remember, 'and' pull the far focus limit closer to if not beyond the hyper-focal distance bringing the back-ground all into focus, and using that 1/3 of the DoF in front of the focus range to get the subject in focus, rather than waste it on free space....

THAT little 'trick' digested, and you can take stunning 'Deep-Focus' landscapes, even at pretty wide apertures, like f3.5 or f5.6,

Doing it back-wards and pulling the focus range forwards, so that the 2/3 of the DoF zone you get behind the focus range is getting the far landscape in focus, whilst the 1/3 in front is pulled that much closer to the camera, to get near scenery in the DoF zone too, and overall, get more 'depth' in focus than if you let AF focus on far hills, waste the big 2/3 of your DoF behind them, and only get 1/3 in front stretching some short way towards the camera.... make sense...... ish?

Basically, THIS is where taking manual control makes more sense, and going manual FOCUS not manual exposure, where it can make more difference than faffing with exposure settings, that without exploiting selective focus are actually working against you, rather than for you as far as trying to get the DoF you want, where you want.

As to lugging tripod up the fells? Well, yeah.... like I said, rather you than me..... I STILL rather lug my little AX2 flm camera up a hill, in my pocket, than the SLR and gadget-bag... and for situational shots and general landscapes, where with a 35mm mild-wide lens, I can safely hand hold down to 1/30th.. it IS rather 'redundant' a lot of the time, and I would only be lugging the bulkier SLR, to do more prosaic stuff with alternate lenses.. and the tripod for stuff like sunsets when the lights going, or deliberate long exposure effects like streaky clouds... its FAR from 'essential' equipment, and even when 'useful' improvisation, by way of a scrunched up jumper, back-pack, dry-stone-wall, pictnic table or whatever and the self timer, is just as effective and a darn site more 'portable' !!!

B-U-T... essence IS a) you are over-thiking the matter b) for the 'problem' you haven't yet encountered, but expect to, SETTINGS is't it... and 'going manual (exposure)' part of the problem, NOT part of the solution, and IF when you get to it it IS a 'real' problem, 'going manual FOCUS' and exploiting selective and hyper-focus techniques IS the answer, NOT a tripod, NOT an F-Number.

Back to highlighted, you know enough to be making life very much harder for yourself, and not enough to actually know what would be helpful.... its NOT in the settings, its in the SEEINGS... and as alluded to... BIGGEST difference to your shots i this situation will be in carefully scannng the scene and checking the corners of the frame, for those day-glow dog-coats, lurid Lycra mountain bikers, and other obviously 'un-natural' and distracting elements in the composition.. and that kind of stuff.... spend more time looking THROUGH the camera than you do AT the camera..... and if you are on them hills with family, you do NOT want to be making a chore of the job, risking thier patience to get on, get crabbly through de-hydration, or worse, mountain rescue slipping off a rock to save the ruddy tripod, or just getting cought out by the weather changing in a rush..... don't sweat the small stuff... there's far bigger 'worries' going up them hills than what f-no may be 'best'!!! And I'd be much more bothered about carrying an extra bottle of pop, a bar of Kendal mint-cake and a rain-mac than a tripod!!!

Thank you for the reply, I'll need to re-read that a few times for it to sink in a bit more!

When I say family, most of the time it will be the two of us and our dog, hence needing a tripod to get a couple of nice shots. Last time we went to the lakes (March last year), we were in shorts and tshirt up a lot of the fells, very lucky I know! Hopefully get weather like that again! The carrying a little tripod doesn't bother me, I'm fine with carrying heavy bags long journeys etc. The best thing we try and do is set off very early to try and avoid the crowds, hopefully be out not long after sun rise.

Thanks again.

This is a simple depth-of-field question - check what you'll get on this DoF calculator http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The situation you describe doesn't sound too extreme, but for maximum DoF, with everything sharp from near to far, you need bone up on the hyperfocal distance setting (also given on that calculator link).

<snip>
DoF extends 1/3 in front of your focus range, 2/3 behind.... <snip>

This is not true, it varies from 50:50 to 1:billions - and I'm not the first to have pointed this out Mike.

DoF extends 1/3 infront of your focus range, 2/3 behind....
This is not true, it varies from 50:50 to 1:billions - and I'm not the first to have pointed this out Mike.
You beat me to it!

This 1/3 vs 2/3 rule for DoF is one of those things many people think they know, but hardly anyone ever thinks about whether it's actually true.

Whilst most of Canada is 'north' of the 42nd parallel, …does't have much settlement at all above that...

Well, that's simply because we use to go out to play hockey
in winter by -40° C or F (233,15° K) at that latitude and we
know that, higher, it is -60° C/-72° F or (213,15° K) and the
ice tends to be too crispy… that slows the game a tad! :cool:

I remember being the university scientific photographer for an
research expedition to the Ellesmere Islands when I was young.
Three months at -62 to -74° C… and no hockey playing for sure!

Last edited:
You beat me to it!

This 1/3 vs 2/3 rule for DoF is one of those things many people think they know, but hardly anyone ever thinks about whether it's actually true.

The 1/3 vs 2/3 thing applies, very, very roughly, to a lot of general photography, like say a wedding group when you need to ensure that both the front row of small children and the back row of tall men are equally sharp. But it's not a universal rule, and it's particularly untrue for the situation the OP cites when there will be way more DoF behind the subject.

When you're close and the sharp zone is very shallow, DoF goes down to 50:50% or so either side of the focused point, but as DoF increases with landscapes and more distant scenics, then it swing to 1:99% or more behind. When the far distance is at infinity, then the ratio will also be infinite. The DoFmaster calculator gives the front:behind ratio as a percentage.

Are ANY of the 'rules' of photography unequivocally true in all circumstances?
1/3-2/3 DoF 'rule' is no different, and it 'holds' reasonably enough true for most situations, with most lenses, for anything from arms length focus range to whatever the lens' hyper-focal distance is; where it was 'qualified' as not holding in my original reply.
For cars length focus distances of suggested situation, it is close enough, and certainly with a full-frame camera that at that focus range, even with a moderate wide-angle, you may not 'quite' be reaching hyper focal and far distant scenery could be falling out the DoF zone.
HOWEVER.. for a newb, heading up hills, to take suped up selfies? Over complicating the matter getting bogged down in exposure settings, IS detracting into the fuzzy margins where the 'rule' starts to fall down, over-complicating the issue even more, REALLY a helpful bit of advice?
Merely appreciating DoF and that for situation described, going manual focus rather than manual exposure, and appreciating DoF is't just about the aperture setting, is the 'key', surely that IS the correct answer, and 'helpful' to the OP's query?
Out of a raft of advice, in which I mentioned Kendal mint cake, I don't even know they still make, that could be taken issue with?!
Sorry, but up on the hills, to my sense of sensibility a bludy smart phone and the false sense of security it has all the answers from google maps, to a DoF calculator, and the possibility to call mountain rescue... as long as there's cell coverage, is more of a bludy liability compared to common sense and a little know-how!!
Smart-phone still wont spot the distracting day-glow dog coats straying into the corner of the frame, will it?

Three months at -62 to -74° C… and no hockey playing for sure!
-74°C! Really? My info is the lowest temperature ever recorded in Canada was -63°C in Snag, Yukon in February 1947. For Eureka, Ellesmere Islands, the record low is given as -55.3°C.
The camera function might get a bit dodgy at these temperatures, but not likely in the Lake District.:)

-74°C! Really?
the lowest temperature ever recorded in Canada was -63°C in Snag, Yukon in February 1947
Yes, I understand you never had to survive in nordic
conditions, Peter, or take part in the logistics behind
an expedition.

The forgotten element here is the chill factor. The tem-
peratures given above count for that, Imagine a relative
humidity of 91% on top of 60+ m/h winds @ -63° C! :confused:

Yes, I understand you never had to survive in nordic
conditions, Peter, or take part in the logistics behind
an expedition.

The forgotten element here is the chill factor. The tem-
peratures given above count for that, Imagine a relative
humidity of 91% on top of 60+ m/h winds @ -63° C! :confused:

You are making assumptions. I've lived and worked in Russia for 10 years, through summers and winters.
You stated that you experienced -62°C to -74°C without qualification, which is what folks tend to do when they want to impress people who don't know any better.
Chill factors are not temperature readings. They are wind chill equivalent temperatures, i.e. an attempt to give a measure to the effect of heat loss as perceived on the human body. It doesn't matter how hard the wind blows, the absolute air temperature remains as measured by a thermometer. Do not confuse measuring air temperatures with heat loss perceptions chill factors.
Humidity at very low temperatures, even at 91%, must be well below .001 gm water/gm dry air. The problem is dryness of the air in such conditions.
I'm sure you had to deal with many problems in such northern areas of Canada, but please remember there's no need to embellish the tales with misleading figures!

Last edited by a moderator:
You are making assumptions.
Don't we all at times?
Chill factors are not temperature readings.
Right… but weather readings

Humidity at very low temperatures, even at 91%, must be well below .001 gm water/gm dry air.
That's why I talked about RELATIVE humidity.
when they want to impress people who don't know any better.
please remember there's no need to embellish the tales with misleading facts!
…/​

1/3-2/3 DoF 'rule' is no different, and it 'holds' reasonably enough true for most situations,

:agree:

In the later part of the 19th century, old mastery was
teaching the idea of the thirds… but applied to plates
used in much larger bellowed optical benches.

The direct application, in regard to these notoriously
shallow DoF producing camera/lens/ format combos,
was meant for portrait photography.

— If one wants to have a sharp eye of the subject, the
nose "should" be in focus as well, thus accepting the ear
will not be. If the ear and its jewel should be sharp, the
strategy was a 40°~ 60° angle portrait of the head. —

It should not be forgotten that the larger the plates, the
lesser DoF could be captured. The small format cameras
were a hit instantly on the market because…

• less bulk, weight
  • faster to setup and get ready
  • much greater DoF
  • the bag could contain a greater arsenal
  • film rolls were far more comfortable than plates
  • the resolution was very good for the quality of the prin-
    ting technologies available at the time.
  • More practical and cheaper to buy, use and keep safe.

HOWEVER.. for a newb, heading up hills, to take suped up selfies? Over complicating the matter getting bogged down in exposure settings, IS detracting into the fuzzy margins where the 'rule' starts to fall down, over-complicating the issue even more, REALLY a helpful bit of advice?
Merely appreciating DoF and that for situation described, going manual focus rather than manual exposure, and appreciating DoF is't just about the aperture setting, is the 'key', surely that IS the correct answer, and 'helpful' to the OP's query?
Out of a raft of advice, in which I mentioned Kendal mint cake, I don't even know they still make, that could be taken issue with?!
Sorry, but up on the hills, to my sense of sensibility a bludy smart phone and the false sense of security it has all the answers from google maps, to a DoF calculator, and the possibility to call mountain rescue... as long as there's cell coverage, is more of a bludy liability compared to common sense and a little know-how!!
Smart-phone still wont spot the distracting day-glow dog coats straying into the corner of the frame, will it?

We're not 'heading up the hills' just to take suped up selfies. We go every year and always do good long walks.

I was only asking the general question on best settings because we haven't got many nice photos of us! Just a rough idea on what to set out with would have been good. It would be nice to have one printed out if I could get a good enough one.

With two of you, it should be fairly straight forward. Compose the shot with your partner in front of the camera using live view with the space available for yourself to get into the shot too. The live view should give you a good enough idea of how the photo will look and if the focus is right.

Ffs what the hell happened in here? What's wrong with some of you?

It's not difficult to give the OP a simple answer.

Matt, firstly take a shot of the background to ensure you're getting a nice exposure of that. ISO 200 and f/8 should be fine. Should give you a fast enough shutter speed for photographing people (who might move around a bit). Then bring in the people to the shot. Shoot at about 30mm to 70mm, focus on their faces and the background will still be in focus at f/8.

I think sun position will make or break the shot.
Try to get the sun 45 degrees to the side of their faces. Not behind them (as their faces will be too dark in the resulting image) and not directly in front of them (which would be behind you) as they'll just squint.

Last edited:
With two of you, it should be fairly straight forward. Compose the shot with your partner in front of the camera using live view with the space available for yourself to get into the shot too. The live view should give you a good enough idea of how the photo will look and if the focus is right.

Ffs what the hell happened in here? What's wrong with some of you?

It's not difficult to give the OP a simple answer.

Matt, firstly take a shot of the background to ensure you're getting a nice exposure of that. ISO 200 and f/8 should be fine. Should give you a fast enough shutter speed for photographing people (who might move around a bit). Then bring in the people to the shot. Shoot at about 30mm to 70mm, focus on their faces and the background will still be in focus at f/8.

I think sun position will make or break the shot.
Try to get the sun 45 degrees to the side of their faces. Not behind them (as their faces will be too dark in the resulting image) and not directly in front of them (which would be behind you) as they'll just squint.

Thank you both for the replies and keeping things as simple as I need for now. I'm sure I would have worked it out but going out with a rough idea will help me :)

Back