FAO IT Admin people - what AV do you use?

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
I was just wondering what antivirus people use on their networks?

We've been using bitdefender for the last 3 years, pretty happy with it, somethings are odd and I wondered if there was anything better out there.

I won't touch

McAfee
Norton
Sophos

I'm not a huge fan of Trend (poor support previously).

I'm a huge fan of Microsoft Security Essentials, does anyone use the MS forefront?

I need to protect around 20 computers/servers and Exchange

Sophos. I tried to get it canned and put Forefront and MSE in instead but Sophos desperate for the renewal went in at an obscenely low price.

Hate Sophos. MS seemed very well packed and it gets good detection reviews etc.

As a minor protest I run Avast on my desktop and laptop :D

Mostly MSE here. We have a site licence for AVG but it annoys everyone so much that most of us devs have removed it and put MSE on our computers. (We don't have any corporate IT policy, aside from "if you break it, you fix it" and "don't touch the router without asking Mark (me) first")

Kaspersky here, have used Nod-32 in the past but came back to Kaspersky because it's effective and sensible to use.

Kaspersky is written to be fast and not bloated like many others. I find eset nod32 also works pretty well.

Will check out kaspersky, came out really well on av comparitives. Will go and see them at infosec if they are there.

BitDefender for years, very good AV software but they are getting too comercial now, pushing adverts for their own products at you via their alert system annoys me.

Company I work for (not an IT admin myself) use Symantec Endpoint Protection. It's never put a foot wrong on my work PC (although at home I use MSE).

Home - MSE
Work - Trend. It's pretty easy to set up for a domain, central management, and just seems to work with little effort. Doesn't slow things down on servers or clients (Exchange too) and to be honest I've found on the very rare occasion I've needed to speak to support (once or twice in the last 2 years) they've been pretty good.
Jim

We were with trend before bit defender. They did a major upgrade and it killed our network, took 2 days to manually remove it from the servers and clients and get our network working (apipa everywhere). Their support wanted be to break it again so they could troubleshoot.

Went on google and lots of people had similar issues. Stayed on the old version and jumped ship when upgrade time came. This was 4 - 5 years ago, but wasn't impressed by their support or knowledge on the issue that so many had.

trend is bloomin expensive though, or at least it was last year. about twice the cost of MSE if i remember rightly.

That wouldn't be to hard to do considering MSE is free

Last edited:
Since upgrading from XP to Win7 a couple of years ago, I've used MSE. Beforehand I used Kaspersky Internet Security suite which was excellent but now I see no advantage in using it (or any of the other "paid for" AV solutions) over MSE.

Last edited:
Trend support is awful but boss has us install it as the product allows him to bag the most money from customers.

On a personal level I don't use any AV at all, I think its all a bag of ******e.

I have had the joys of working with Trend and Sophos, pain in the ass on both accounts, though in the end once everything was setup and actually working properly (trends fault not ours!!) it wasn't too bad, and managed to manage/update (and protect most of the time) most of the souths NHS systems.
But personally at home i use MSE, never had a single problem with it and have installed it on many peoples machines when they were previously having problems with other free and paid AV...

I've used Avast! for years on various computers, including those of family and friends. The free version seems to do the job perfectly well.

I've recetly switched back to AVG. I find that it changes every year as to which seem to be better.

I was always a fan of Kaspersky, however when I bought my new laptop it had the trial of Trend Micro installed, so I decided to see how it would perform. It was absolutely fantastic and have since subscribed to it. In the 3 months I've had it, I havent had one infection get through, and I download a lot of crap lol.

someguy201 said:
Sophos has one of the highest detection rates of AV products, e.g. it catches 98% of samples before they install, it's not so good at removing installed malware.

http://www.av-comparatives.org

If you look at a report for a few years ago on one of the av comparison sites sophos detection rate was around 35%, it was beyond shocking.

We also have a problem with their support. They are likely to stop/break any SQL database (instance) on the same server when upgrading their software. Our product uses SQL and we have done a few mopping up jobs after sophos support have been on a server.

Back from InfoSec and looked at a fee different offerings, Kaspersky looked pretty good, ESET looked the best in terms of management and reporting and is also one of the cheapest.

Bit Defender weren't really at the show, tiny stand. Eset, kaspersky, mcafee, norton and sophos had the big stands, trend was not far behind.

Didnt see avg anywhere.

In July we will be going with eset.

We also have a problem with their support. They are likely to stop/break any SQL database (instance) on the same server when upgrading their software. Our product uses SQL and we have done a few mopping up jobs after sophos support have been on a server.

ha been there dale..

it even broke its own sql database on upgrade once. took sophos so long to try and figure it out it was quicker for us to completely reinstall windows server and the enterprise console.

I won't touch

McAfee

:thinking: may i ask why?
ive used it for around 3 years now & never had any problems

i also run MSE on my spare PC & think there's nothing to it compared to McAfee

used AVG Free & Kaspersky in the past but like McAfee best out of them all. so whats so wrong with it.?

cheers

I guess a lot of it comes down to personal taste, it could be like the Nikon vs Canon(better! :p) arguement. If someone has used a certain AV for a while and got on with it, then you should stick with it in my opinion :)

Any AV is better than none lol

Back