Farmers Reducer

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Is anyone familiar with a product called Farmers Reducer? I have never used this myself when I've been processing but something in the back of my mind tells me it's for increasing contrast on a negative. Perhaps I'm wrong. I ask because a pal of mine has just been on the phone asking me for my opinions about it, but unfortunately I don't really have much of a clue as to how effective it is.

Cheers,

Carl.

That's exactly correct. Generally used on overexposed or fogged film. I believe it can be used on prints too.

Thank you for that Treeman. (y)

That's satisfied my curiosity about it. I heard about Farmers Reducer when I was learning all about darkroom work in the 80s, and I had some idea that the guy who taught me mentioned it was for altering contrast, but I wasn't very sure with it being quite a few years ago. I even dug out all my notes (which I still have after all these years) but could find no mention of it.

Many thanks.

It is potassiumferricyanide mixed with sodiumthiosulphate (fixer).
It can be used on prints to bleach areas. Or as previous people have said on film... it reduces the shadow areas on film more than the highlights so increases contrast; but it loses shadow detail.

the potassiumferrycianide can be used alone to intensify under exposure...
First give the film a very long wash to remove all traces of fixer ... than bleach the film back to a halide with the ferricyanide, it will become milky white... then re-develop the film in print developer.. it will increase both density and contrast.

If you want to do bleach outs to make line drawings from photographs... use indian ink to draw over the print and let dry.
Bleach with Iodine dissolved in potassium iodide. when all the silver has turned white fix thoroughly and wash. Presto... line drawing.
Unlike Farmers reducer this will never leave stains on the print.

Thank you very much indeed Terry for your explanation. It is much appreciated. (y)

I've been having a look at Silverprints' website, just out of curiosity more than anything else, and they appear to stock it - after entering the name into the search box.

Cheers,

Carl.

If you expose film correctly and develop correctly you would not need it.

Back