Farnborough shots

Edit My Images
Yes
Everyone's probably sick to the back teeth of aircraft shots following the tremendous airshow this week, but I thought I'd post some of my favourites anyway. Apologies in advance for boring you to death.

I went equipped with my 30D and my Tamron 17-35mm, expecting to get some shots of the aircraft in the static displays only. I don't currently own a larger EF telephoto zoom, so I wasn't expecting to get any shots of the show at all... HOWEVER... I was standing next to the runway attempting to take a few lame shots with my wide angle, when the old guy in front of me said "do you want to borrow one of my zoom lenses? I have one free". I said yes please, expecting him to pull out a bog standard 75-300, but was amazed when he produced a 100-400L IS and handed it over to me! EEK!!! He showed me where the IS was was etc. and I was off.

What an absolutely fantastic lens. I love it!! Took some getting used to and really made my arm ache, but I managed to get some reasonable shots out of it. I was tired last night when I was processing them, so some aren't brilliant, but I thought I'd post them anyway.

Please bear in mind that this was my first visit to an airshow, so be gentle. Comments and constructive criticism are always greatly appreciated.

IMG_9902-01.jpg

IMG_9901-01.jpg

IMG_9894-02.jpg

IMG_9890-01.jpg

IMG_9883-01.jpg

IMG_9868-01.jpg

IMG_9836-01.jpg

IMG_9835-01.jpg

IMG_9822-01.jpg

IMG_9819-01.jpg

Top banana!

I wish I could have gone but at least I've been able to enjoy everyone's shots.

Good shots! Very sharp.

No need to apologise kate - you've got some corkers there. All very nice & sharp. I saw the airshow from my house...all 7 days of it! I tried to get some shots of various planes, but it's much harder than it looks.

Great stuff! Makes me want to get "inside the ropes" so to speak rather than snapping from my garden ... Paul (y)

Great set of shots and how great of the person to lend you the lens, shame more people aren't like that, especially considering its such expensive kit!

superb shots, that is a cracking lens

Hands up everyone with a 100-400 that would lend it to the stranger stood next to them.

:)

You certainly put it to very good use!

Fantastic shots but #8 (Eurofighter?) is the mutts nuts! I take it the lens is now on the wish list. ;)

Excellent shots, and a cheer for the bloke who let you borrow his lens :clap:

Love the Red Arrow for colour and sharpness - also good to see one in a slightly different setting to flying at/across/through one another:)

Looks like your a natural to be able to pick up a lens and get shots like that - you realize the damage this gesture has probably had on you, are you craving a 100-400 of your own yet ;)

(y)

Wow!! Thanks for all the kind comments. I am indeed EXTREMELY lucky to have been lent this lens and am quite surprised at the results. The sky was bloody awful so I got quite a few shots which are massively underexposed with a white sky, but thankfully a few came out alright.

I actually said to the guy "I could run off with this!!!" and he just replied "I'd never catch you" and smiled :eek: Really lovely Scotts fella. He was trying to tell me to put it in Sports mode :eek: It was all I could do not to call him a heathen and point out that I had servo AF :D I really couldn't thank him enough for lending it to me though. I had it throughout virtually the whole display, despite asking if he wanted it back yet several times. I was paranoid that I was hogging it and he was too kind to ask for it back. I ran out of memory cards in the end though and had to give it back :( (booooo). He was shooting with a 28-200L iirc.

Hacker said:
Fantastic shots but #8 (Eurofighter?) is the mutts nuts! I take it the lens is now on the wish list. ;)
Thank you :D #8 is the Gripen :) Eurofighter is #5 (I only know this because I made the same mistake and got corrected by the BF).

And yes I do now desperately want this lens!! It's amazing!! I was almost decided on getting the Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6IS USM until I tried this, and now I've just doubled my budget... eek! The guy said he got his from the USA for just over £800. I should be going to the States on business within the next couple of months, so I might have a look around whilst I'm there. Bang goes the new car :(

Oh, and I somehow forgot to post these. I saved them to my desktop and forgot they were there:

It was a bit.... grey! And my bloody sensor is dirty already. Hmph!
S3474.jpg

And this is the Gripen messing about again. Started brightening up later on.
IMG_9824-01.jpg

Warspite said:
Love the Red Arrow for colour and sharpness - also good to see one in a slightly different setting to flying at/across/through one another:)
Thanks, it's probably my favourite shot too :) They came in, did a fly-by and then all landed (their slot wasn't until later on) so I had a couple of chances to get a nice shot of one landing.

One thing I'm annoyed about is running out of memory cards before the Mig came on. It was my absolute favourite. Oh well, I'll have another go at Paris next year :D

Crackers Kate - well done you!!!

Planes aren't the easiest thing to shoot for sure - the exposure is the bit I struggle with - mine are usually either over of under, but you've done a great job!

Witch said:
Crackers Kate - well done you!!!

Planes aren't the easiest thing to shoot for sure - the exposure is the bit I struggle with - mine are usually either over of under, but you've done a great job!
Praise the lord for RAW :D

Red Arrows shot takes it not only for the colour, but also for the fact you captured the rear seat aircrew looking directly at you.

If that guy was willing to lend you that lens it makes me wonder what he was using..... top man for lending it to you.

Bob's right, I was gonna say the same.

The Red Arrows shot taking off clinches it for me. Infact I wouldnt be surprised with a bit of PS work (distracting background above the plane etc), that could very well be a seller.

Kudos on the other guy for lending you a grands worth of lens, just like that. :D
Shows how friendly photographers are.
Whenever I've been out and seen someone else with a camera (usually an SLR, not necessarily being a camera snob, but SLR owners are almost guaranteed to be 'tographers ;)), we've always ended up chatting.

No need to apologies Kate, they're cracking shots, I bet you're pleased with them now. Is this time you've been out with your 30D in anger?

A superb set of shots Kate ... it has all been said I think but they are all pics to be proud of ... (y)

Well done ... esp with a lens new to you ... and TFS ... :p

BobR said:
Red Arrows shot takes it not only for the colour, but also for the fact you captured the rear seat aircrew looking directly at you.

If that guy was willing to lend you that lens it makes me wonder what he was using..... top man for lending it to you.
So I did! I didn't see that when I was processing the shot.

He was using the EF28-300 f/3.5–5.6L IS USM, which is about £1500 of lens :eek:

Marcel said:
Bob's right, I was gonna say the same.

The Red Arrows shot taking off clinches it for me. Infact I wouldnt be surprised with a bit of PS work (distracting background above the plane etc), that could very well be a seller.

Kudos on the other guy for lending you a grands worth of lens, just like that. :D
Shows how friendly photographers are.
Whenever I've been out and seen someone else with a camera (usually an SLR, not necessarily being a camera snob, but SLR owners are almost guaranteed to be 'tographers ;)), we've always ended up chatting.

No need to apologies Kate, they're cracking shots, I bet you're pleased with them now. Is this time you've been out with your 30D in anger?
A seller hmm? I've never sold any shots before and would have no idea how to go about it :) Will have to do some research!

I've always found photographers to go two ways. Either they think you're some n00b with a big camera who doesn't know what you're doing, or they're really friendly and happy to talk. Luckily, this guy was the latter :D

Yes I am pleased with them now. Got a lot better response than I expected :D It's only the second "event" I've taken the 30D to... the first was Rally Day at Castle Coombe which was on Saturday. Really could have done with a telephoto zoom then too.

Looks like I've talked myself into going to look at lenses with a friend on Sunday anyway. Just want to compare the 70-300 IS USM with the 100-400 L IS to see what I'd be getting for my money. Not planning on buying on anything though.

Just one question. A friend looked at these and told me that they all lack contrast. He's on a laptop at the moment with an uncalibrated screen, but he's adamant. Can someone confirm whether the shots look like they lack contrast or not? Thanks :)

excellent shots Kate, thanks for sharing!

Kate, IMO in truth I think he's nit picking. Considering that it's only the second time you've used your 30D in anger plus using a lens that you've held before, I think you've done a mighty fine job as they are so I wouldn't worry about the contrast thing.

I agree with the others that the Red Arrows shot is a real cracker of a shot.

That Gripen pilot likes having a bit of a play, doesn't he? I can't see that the contrast is too low at all - looks about right to me - superb shots!

Nowt wrong with those at all Kate - cracking shots! (y)

Seriously - if your friend thinks the contrast is too low, he needs to get his screen fixed / calibrated.

The colours look spot on, and considering alot of these aircraft are in low visibility greys you have done a great to make them stand out like they do (y)

Kate said:
Everyone's probably sick to the back teeth of aircraft shots

Never! that will never happen!

You've got the panning shots down perfectly I think. :)

I would say the contrast is spot on! You can't say something is wrong when your screen is an unknown!

Great photos.
:)

Hi, cant say anything that hasn't already been said, but wanted to register how much i liked your shots.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks again guys. I didn't think I had a problem with contrast, but had to triple check first. Really pleased with the reaction that these have got :D Now to choose one for my desktop at work... better make sure that it has the right engine in it first though :eek: (I work for RR) :D

Back