Farne island advice

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
So I have booked the photographer's trip to the Farne island the middle of June 2018.This is landing on Staple island and the inner Farne for 2hours each .
Hoping to get some shots of the Puffins.

The advice I'm looking for is what gear should I take with me.
I will be using a Canon 7dmk2 ,got 2 batteries .and 3 memory cards .

The lens choices I have are .
Sigma 150-600 C
Canon 400mm f5.6
Canon 70-200 f4 is
Canon 17-40 f4
Canon 1.4x extender mk2
Do I need to take a monopod or tripod or neither .I don't have a gimble just a ball head.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Martin

150-600 also 70-200
thats you ready for anything
no mon or tripod needed

Take a hat

The Farnes is a mix of birds in flight and close up opportunities of a range of species. To keep the weight down I would take either the 150-600 or the 400 which ever gives you the best results with the 70-200 and 17-40. The boats can be very full and space is generally at a premium, also leave space for plenty of water there is no much shelter and if the sun is out it is easy to get really hot. The Terns (hence the hat) are very close on Inner Farne (be careful where you walk) and a wide angle lens provides an interesting perspective. A monopod might be helpful with a bigger lens, I suspect a tripod would be more hassle than its worth and a real pain on the boat. Hope you have fun.

You will probably see all sorts of kit going over on the boat, inc 600 f4 lenses and tripods with gimbals.
I've done it with a 500 f4 + tripod & gimbal and wouldn't do that again as it was too much hassle, though got some good photos.
Next time I used a 300 f4 PF with/without 1.4 and monopod and a 24-120, hand-held and it was much more convenient.
I agree that your 150-600 and 70-200 would be fine ... monopod if you think your arms will need a rest.

Back