Farne Islands

Edit My Images
No
Folks,

Any views or comments would be greatly accepeted here...

I am going to the Farnes last week of may and have the following lenses available to split between me and my 14yr old daughter.

300 f4 & 1.4TC if required

100-400 - which my daughter will no doubt lay claim to:love::love:

Question is, as I have never been to the farnes will a 300/420 severely restrict the shots I can get?. My other option is to rent a sig 120-300 which would give me 150-420ish at a reasonable price for added flexibility.

Any ideas would be great.:)

Cheers

Rob

300 with 1.4X TC will be just about right. For some shots a 10-20mm would be better as you will get turns trying to sit on your head. Other shots, a longer lens is better as you can get the birds flying in from sea. Last year I went with my 300mm f2.8 and 1.4X TC and was happy. The year before that I went with my 150mm f2.8 and was happy enough. :)

I found between 55mm and 300 fine.

278432763_971afd83c6_o.jpg

420mm

378219466_98bd770eb7_o.jpg

220mm

378231724_1c98baa30c_o.jpg

200mm

278433105_000a5b2b11_o.jpg

55mm!

294604876_e83c16a67c_o.jpg

55mm!

Between about 70mm and 300mm should cover most of it - or even a really w-i-d-e lens and you can get quite close.

Messiah, Nice one thats really good to know

Markboy - no probs will report back and compare 100-400 Vs 300/420 versatility if it would be of any use??.

Cheers

Rob

Puddleduck,

Thank you for posting these examples... I am begining to think 300 might be a bit limiting - Have got 90macro and 50mm and 18-55 to back it up though.

Great series - love the Puffin and last tern.

Rob

A macro could be interesting, and 50mm will be useful for the terns.

I did that lot about 3 years ago, I'm probably going to make the trip this year, I think I'd like to try some wide angle rather than the longer stuff.

I'm going there on the saturday of the bank holiday weekend, taking my 120-300 and a 1.4x convertor. I reckon you want to keep your mitts on the 300F4 :)

Last time I was there with a 70-200 F2.8 and a 2x and while the reach was adequate I was completely underwhelmed with the quality of that combo.

Richard,

Thank you for the reply.

I wasn't thinking of getting rid of the 300, but renting a 120-300 to get some variety & flexibility.

Have you booked a trip or are you planning just to turn up?

Cheers

Rob

Well I've got nothing bad to say about the 120-300 :)

I'm going to visit my parent for the weekend and they know one of the people who runs boats - I'll just be turning up when we want to sail and getting a lift :)

Hopefully the weather will be good, when I was there last time I had to wait three days for the weather to clear!

I was there on tuesday weather not great,this is the second time i have been you get very close to the birds so no need for a long telephoto.

Thanks KYbear - I think I will go with what I've got and use 90mm macro as an alternative or 50mm.

Cheers

Rob

Just digressing slightly. What is the boat trip like out here.How long etc. My wife doesn't travel very well on choppy seas. We are up in that area around the end of May. Always wanted to do some shooting there.

Kev.

Just digressing slightly. What is the boat trip like out here.How long etc. My wife doesn't travel very well on choppy seas. We are up in that area around the end of May. Always wanted to do some shooting there.

Kev.

There are a couple of different boats trips on offer. The one we did in July a couple of years ago departed from Seahouses and lasted a couple of hours . I'm not a very good sailor but I managed it fine. It's great being up close to the puffins.

Two hours each way? Blimey, I thought it was much nearer than that. Linda would be green by then.

I'm off to Northumberland next weekend, and I was having the same problems, thinking about lenses, so I've settled on:

24-70 f2.8
70-300 f4/f5.6
50mm f1.8
10-20 f4

Plus I've hired a 300 f2.8 and 2X converter.

I'm looking to make 2 trips to the islands during the week, spending the rest of time doing some landscape stuff (well trying at least).

Steve

Right folks, back from the Farnes and wow what a day.

Seals, Porpoise, birds galore, great weather and very small boat!!!.

As for lens choice...

300f4 & 1.4TC got some great shots but when you are too close you are too close.

100-400 - the better of the two lenses due to it's flexibility and provided (Bridie) with some really great shots.

Smaller lenses for terns would have been OK, in fact a wide angle would provide some great shots too.

Hope this helps some folk.

Cheers

Rob & Bridie

Back