Fast prime for LUMIX GX80/85 - street photos

Edit My Images
No
Well I seem to have gone and bought a LUMIX GX80. Don’t ask, eBay and alcohol :)

So I thought, it a nice looking camera and fairly inconspicuous so would be good for street photography. Day and night time, just general stuff nothing specific

It comes with the std kit lens so am looking for a fast prime.

Now, at the mo, I don,t want to spend a small fortune on this and am happy to buy used.

I understand I can use either Panny or Oly lenses and some are better than others. I also understand some are good clarity wise but not very fast with auto focus. I would also like to know what’s a good focal length, I am thinking something wide like a 12-14mm which is like a 24-28 full frame focal length

So, what would you reccomend.

Last edited:
If you don't mind manual focus the Samyang 12mm F2 is a very nice lens, there's the much smaller and tidier Panasonic 14mm 2.5 which is pretty cheap, especially used - not used that one myself but it's supposed to be decent enough - not the fastest, but you're going to pay a lot more for the likes of the Olympus 12mm F2 with AF or the even pricier Panasonic 12mm 1.4

Go traditional and buy my rather nice and bargainous Olympus 25mm f/1.8 for 165 quid in the classifieds.
Traditional 50mm in FF focal length, just the job and to be honest 12mm is a bit wide I would have thought

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a 25mm only then seen he wanted wider. If I could only have one prime it'd be a 25

Now, at the mo, I don,t want to spend a small fortune on this and am happy to buy used.

I understand I can use either Panny or Oly lenses and some are better than others. I also understand some are good clarity wise but not very fast with auto focus. I would also like to know what’s a good focal length, I am thinking something wide like a 12-14mm which is like a 24-28 full frame focal length

So, what would you reccomend.

IMO focal length is more important than aperture, focus speed or sharpness when it comes to choosing lenses.

I used the 14mm Panasonic when I had GX8 because it has the angle of view I prefer - but it might not suit you.

Thanks for the replies.

I have looked at the Samyang but having to focus it means I will not be able to shoot from the hip :) I did however wonder about the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye, looks like a fun lens and dis see on a YouTube video that you can set it just below infinity and forget about focusing?

I have another reason for wanting wide and that is when I take photos inside churches etc when on holiday.

The pany 14mm looks like a good cheap starting point and if I want to spend more the Oly 12mm f/2 look good as well. The pany 12mm would be nice but a lot more than I would want to spend.

Last edited:
Don't forget the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7, really is an excellent lens and very fast to focus too

Don't forget the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7, really is an excellent lens and very fast to focus too
Yes, I know it gets a great review, however a mm here a mm there and we start to move away from wide angle. That’s the problem with the crop multiplier of M4/3. So we start at 12mm to 15mm and although it’s only 3mm it’s actually 6mm FF, or am I getting hung up about it?
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_leica_dg_summilux_15mm_f1_7_asph_review/conclusion

Last edited:
Yes, I know gets a great review, however a mm here a mm there and we start to move away from wide angle. That’s the problem with the crop multiplier of M4/3. So we start at 12mm to 15mm and although it’s only 3mm it’s actually 6mm FF, or am I getting hung up about it?
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_leica_dg_summilux_15mm_f1_7_asph_review/conclusion

I agree a few mm's make a difference at wide angle focal lengths and that does warrant some consideration
Noted you want to use it for interiors, but is it then a bit too wide for street type work?

I'm not a street photographer at all as far as photos of people go, but like architecture/ transport and often find 12mm to be too wide.
My travel prime collection consists of 12, 17, 25 and 45 and mostly use the first three.
No point thinking what focal lengths you use on a zoom, most people use either end almost exclusively
These primes are so small and light that you can easily carry a nice selection of them

I recently purchased a SLR Magic 8mm f4 lens for my 4/3 it’s not fisheye and is pretty impressive for what they cost, something heap and fun ? Olympus 9mm f8 body lens cap. Around about £40 used
I can also recommend both Samyang lenses 8mm f2.8 fisheye and the 12mm f2 if you use hyper focal lens distance it’s not a problem getting sharp images.:)

Last edited:
I agree a few mm's make a difference at wide angle focal lengths and that does warrant some consideration
Noted you want to use it for interiors, but is it then a bit too wide for street type work?

I'm not a street photographer at all as far as photos of people go, but like architecture/ transport and often find 12mm to be too wide.
My travel prime collection consists of 12, 17, 25 and 45 and mostly use the first three.
No point thinking what focal lengths you use on a zoom, most people use either end almost exclusively
These primes are so small and light that you can easily carry a nice selection of them
I see you point. Maybe I need to separate street from architecture and look at two lenses. Something like the Panny 14 for street and go mad and buy the samyang For getting wide interior shots and also when in a crowd and can’t get far enough away

I see you point. Maybe I need to separate street from architecture and look at two lenses. Something like the Panny 14 for street and go mad and buy the samyang For getting wide interior shots and also when in a crowd and can’t get far enough away

I think the point here is that primes are not to my mind meant to be do it all lenses.
Your Samyang choice makes sense, interiors won't be rushed and manual focus should be fine.
The 14mm is quite slow though and perhaps look at a faster option that is good wide open,

The Samyang has at least proper mechanical MF, it is a joy to use over fly-by-wire mf lenses for say astro - also if you do any video MF is always better than AF. As it is pretty wide, stopping down to F8 focused anywhere beyond a few feet for street sees pretty much everything in focus even shooting from the hip. I owned it for a while but I don't tend to shoot wide often enough, and since I got the 12-40 there's be no real need for it anyway. But for the money it is a very nice lens, pretty sharp too.

I sold mine last month on here, great lens, but wanted something more middling between the 12 and 25.
You get the bonus of a working aperture ring on the lens, doesn't work when attached to an Olympus body.

Don't think you would be disappointed, make sure it has all the bits like the rubber cap for the hood.

Sorry I deleted my post after you replied, bacause I felt I was getting carried away and remembered my commend on the first post "Now, at the mo, I don,t want to spend a small fortune on this and am happy to buy used. "

So although I hear what you say, and since I am stating out with this camera the 14mm, althought inforior, maybe a good first choice and if I enjoy it it will easily sell and I can trade up to the 15mm.

Also found this website which is interesting https://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/leica-15mm-f1-7-vs-the-pana-cakes/

Seems like you have decided on the 14mm ?

If not I have a Pan Leica 15mm f1.7 for sale elsewhere
(see ad on Preloved https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/...x015e-k.html?link=/search?memberid=2013954540

If you are interested I can list it on the TP For Sale forum because we would need to continue the discussion there. There would be a price reduction for TP members.

Hopefully I have not broken any TP rules with this post ?

Roy

Seems like you have decided on the 14mm ?

If not I have a Pan Leica 15mm f1.7 for sale elsewhere
(see ad on Preloved https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118719394/panasonic-leica-dg-summilux-15mm-f17-asph-h-x015e-k.html?link=/search?memberid=2013954540

If you are interested I can list it on the TP For Sale forum because we would need to continue the discussion there. There would be a price reduction for TP members.

Hopefully I have not broken any TP rules with this post ?

Roy
Hmm stop it! :) I had forgotten about preloved when looking for things.

I also spotted the 14mm at Worcester however when I click on the ling it just goes to their main page which would suggest it was sold over the weekend and they have just taken it down
I think it disapeared because I requested a "buy it link".

Anyway I have bought it.

Many thanks for all the input :)

Cool glad you picked one up enjoy it tbh it’s been a very very long time since I came across a bad optic.
The Fuji XF 18mm f2.0 has a terrible reputation on forums and You tube but I don’t have a problem with mine it’s pin sharp and contrast is good,not the fastest focus wise but it gets there especially with Fuji’s firmware updates.

Last edited:
Well I got it yesterday plus a couple of spare batteries. I also bought a Canon M5 however I have played and used the Panny a lot more, so will probably sell the M5.

Hopefully I am going into town today to try the new lens out

Back