Faulty BIOS, big problem or easy fix for tech guys?

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Bought a brand new pc from Curry's (that might have been my first mistake as the customer service has been shocking!) and right from the start there has been an issue with a black screen on start up.
Found on the HP web page, a workaround for black screen, which involved starting up using different 'f' keys opening and saving the BIOS again. It suggested to try this on at least three different occasions and each time it seemed to fix the issue only for it to return again after a few start ups. So I am assuming this confirms it is a BIOS issue as everything else seems to be working fine.

My question is as follows:

As I am now returning the pc under the 30 day warranty can I expect this to be a simple fix for the tech guys that will be looking at it?
Is a fault like this usually completely corrected once they work on it or prone to re-occur?

My reason for asking is knowing if it is safe to accept a repair or should I demand replacement.

"Not of merchantable quality" and "Not fit for purpose"

These are (or used to be) the right phrases if a supplier plays silly bu**ers and refuses a full refund...................but bear in mind I think it used to be case that if you accepted a replacement that does affect your right to a refund.

Nothing to say that you could not take a refund and then wait and buy again to 'reset' the rights!

It sounds like a motherboard issue (this is where the bios chip is). So I would expect a new motherboard will be installed. It's unlikely they will put a new chip on the board. I'm not sure if Currys would do this work or not.
I think asking for a replacement (new) PC would be a reasonable request.

It sounds like a motherboard issue (this is where the bios chip is). So I would expect a new motherboard will be installed. It's unlikely they will put a new chip on the board. I'm not sure if Currys would do this work or not.
I think asking for a replacement (new) PC would be a reasonable request.
Not just a request................it is a consumer right within the first 30 days (AFAIK). Though I surmise many stores will try to push the customer to accept a repair that is not an obligation on the customer to accept. After 30 days the rules are slightly(?) different.

PS @Peter10d having looked up HP PC black screen on startup, they have exhibited that issue it seems for some years and as pointed out by others it points to a BIOS issue but IMO the fact that it is such persistent issue with HP (and others ???) does not give me confidence in that brand :(

Not just a request................it is a consumer right within the first 30 days (AFAIK). Though I surmise many stores will try to push the customer to accept a repair that is not an obligation on the customer to accept. After 30 days the rules are slightly(?) different.

PS @Peter10d having looked up HP PC black screen on startup, they have exhibited that issue it seems for some years and as pointed out by others it points to a BIOS issue but IMO the fact that it is such persistent issue with HP (and others ???) does not give me confidence in that brand :(

I did find it strange that HP seem to have been listing the issue for some years.

I am aware of my right to a full refund but the pc itself when on, is so fast that the processing of images in Topaz, Luminar and Lightroom, it is well impressive. Looking at other reviews for that particular model, the vast majority of people seem delighted, therefore I was hoping I have just been unlucky.
Probably based on what people are suggesting, I think I will refuse a repair and decide between a replacement or a refund. Unless anyone else can give any good reason to suggest a repair is possible without any issues.

If the BIOS is stuffed, you've pretty much blown it mate, time to hassle PC World for a new PC.

Only time I ever had a problem with them though was about 23 years ago I sent my PC in, and they had it for about a month before they let me have it back, it didn't take them that long to sort it, they were playing my vast assortment of games (I was a big PC gamer up to about 20 years ago when the original Xbox came out)

If the BIOS is stuffed, you've pretty much blown it mate, time to hassle PC World for a new PC.

Only time I ever had a problem with them though was about 23 years ago I sent my PC in, and they had it for about a month before they let me have it back, it didn't take them that long to sort it, they were playing my vast assortment of games (I was a big PC gamer up to about 20 years ago when the original Xbox came out)

It's brand new and faulty since new and I have a copy of a Curry employee stating that I am entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. Other than them trying to pull a fast one and suggesting I caused the issue (which I didn't) I fail to see how I have 'blown it' :)

As a computer engineer since 1979 I would ask for a full refund and go to Scan in Bolton for one of their systems. Never been a fan of HP and worked on thousands over the years.
Thanks Chris and I wish I had known about Scan before as they seem to sell good spec pc's at decent price and with a proper support system.

As a computer engineer, what would your hunch be on the fault eg. a software fix/update required or a hardware issue .

OP. It really doesn't matter why the computer has a fault. It has. That's it.

Just take it back and get a refund so you can use the money to get a replacement elsewhere.

Last edited:
I've had a problem with PC World before but I'd still trust them over the small independent shops every time!

Thanks Chris and I wish I had known about Scan before as they seem to sell good spec pc's at decent price and with a proper support system.

As a computer engineer, what would your hunch be on the fault eg. a software fix/update required or a hardware issue .
Why are you still trying to identify the cause? If you are still within the refund period, get a refund and then buy again from PCW or Scan or somewhere else.

OP. It really doesn't matter why the computer has a fault. It has. That's it.

Just take it back and get a refund so you can use the money to get a replacement elsewhere.

Why are you still trying to identify the cause? If you are still within the refund period, get a refund and then buy again from PCW or Scan or somewhere else.

:agree: :plus1: :plus1:

As a computer engineer since 1979 I would ask for a full refund and go to Scan in Bolton for one of their systems. Never been a fan of HP and worked on thousands over the years.
I have a Z800 and despite getting on a bit now, it's still a superb bit of kit.

I've only had my computer systems engineering degree since 1991 though.

I believe my main PC needs a BIOS update to be compatible with windows 11 which is quite annoying.
I think I downloaded the latest version but daren't quite initiate it as if things go wrong it sounds disastrous!
Windows 10 is fine for now but it hasn't even been able to do a big update from May ( I think) but will try periodically.
I don't use it for regular browsing or email so not at great risk it is mainly photo/video processing.

From what I read on the HP site, I was led to believe it may just require some minor adjusting of the BIOS, but of course that may not be the case. I really like the pc itself in every other way with amazing speed compared to anything else I have seen or tried before. It's a bit like getting a Porsche for your birthday and someone saying you will need to hand it back and pick something else from the local garage. It is now on it's way back to Curry's so I have time to think over my options.

I believe my main PC needs a BIOS update to be compatible with windows 11 which is quite annoying.
I think I downloaded the latest version but daren't quite initiate it as if things go wrong it sounds disastrous!
Windows 10 is fine for now but it hasn't even been able to do a big update from May ( I think) but will try periodically.
I don't use it for regular browsing or email so not at great risk it is mainly photo/video processing.
This pc I bought came with windows 11 installed which also makes me wonder if it is somehow related to a win11 teething problem.

Get the refund that you are entitle to ASAP. I had a problem with Curry's recently who refused to honour their price match offer. I took out a small Claims action against them which is very easy and can be al done on-line. With hours of the court papers reaching them, I was contacted by their legal department with an offer to refund the difference as per their scheme and to cover the small court fee providing I cancelled the court action. I said I would agreed but could only cancel the legal action when the money was in my account as it was a few days later. All settled but I was amused by a letter I received from the complaints department in response to my original complaint that "they had considered it and did not think my claim was valid". It amused me because their legal department did not wish to test this in court. Also they obviously have poor internal communications.

Dave

Get the refund that you are entitle to ASAP. I had a problem with Curry's recently who refused to honour their price match offer. I took out a small Claims action against them which is very easy and can be al done on-line. With hours of the court papers reaching them, I was contacted by their legal department with an offer to refund the difference as per their scheme and to cover the small court fee providing I cancelled the court action. I said I would agreed but could only cancel the legal action when the money was in my account as it was a few days later. All settled but I was amused by a letter I received from the complaints department in response to my original complaint that "they had considered it and did not think my claim was valid". It amused me because their legal department did not wish to test this in court. Also they obviously have poor internal communications.

Dave
On most things I’ve looked at with Currys or PCW price match is not available because despite apparently identical specs the model numbers are usually unique to them :(.

From what I read on the HP site, I was led to believe it may just require some minor adjusting of the BIOS, but of course that may not be the case. I really like the pc itself in every other way with amazing speed compared to anything else I have seen or tried before. It's a bit like getting a Porsche for your birthday and someone saying you will need to hand it back and pick something else from the local garage. It is now on it's way back to Curry's so I have time to think over my options.
Yes, I understand that but that was more or less your starting point in the thread. Sometime you just have to bite the bullet which I see you’ve now done.

We all get a bit obsessed sometimes trying to work out what’s wrong but often it’s an impossible task :(.

Sorry to hear about your problem. You have done the right thing, it didn’t work properly since day 1 so you are correct to refuse the goods and get a refund or replacement. Do not accept a repair. My experiences with Currys are not good, you may need to be firm and stand your ground.

Depending on the motherboard, CPU and bios version, it might just need a bios update via USB

Sorry not to get back to you, I've been ill unfortunately. Fortunately not covid.

As others have said just get it back to PC world. Any machine that needs tweaks to work is trouble waiting to happen. Chances are its a bios problem but any new machine should be working correctly out of the box.

A bit of a hijack, but why the recommendation for Scan? Interested as I need to replace my pc in the near future.

I have had a basic HP pc from John Lewis for several years which was very reliable and is now my second pc. Perhaps I was lucky.

I've been using Scan since they first opened years ago. Always had great service and customer support. For new PC's I've also used Novatech a number of times with the same good service and support.
Both are reasonable price ways too which helps.

To conclude, today I received a replacement pc from Curry's, which so far seems to be working as it should!

Although I am obviously happy with my replacement, I still think Curry's customer service is severely lacking when it comes to returns. Of course people that have bought something and not had any issues will probably think otherwise, but the real test of good customer service is how they perform when issues arise.

Back