SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
Recently got myself a new DVD burner as my old one packed up. It's this one:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?SAM-S223F

Burns and does everything fine, except rip a CD to my music collection. It starts off ok, but then roughly half way through the rip, just stops. You can hear the drive trying to spin up, but it just hangs there forever.

Do you think the drive is faulty, or something else....?????

TIA, Andy

Yep, prob faulty unless you have memory issues. Have you got DMA enabled?

DMA
DMA is located in the Hardware Resources category in System Information. It displays information about your system's direct memory access (DMA). DMA transfers data between system memory and hardware devices without passing it through the CPU. The Resource column in the details pane displays the DMA channel that is being used by the device, which is listed in the Device column. The Status column displays the status of the device.

If the Status column indicates an error, such as Error, Degraded, Unknown, Pred Fail, Starting, Stopping, or Service, you can use Device Manager to locate and troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks IanT
I've come to the conclusion that the drive is faulty. Odd, because it does everything else ok except rip music.....

Gotta go and check my media player settings I guess!!!

Is it one CD or all CDs? What OS are you using? What software are you using to 'rip' the CD to your HD?

It seems to be pretty much every CD I try......

I'm using XP home, and Windows media player to rip.

The only thing I could think of is that when the DVD drive is reading the disc the laser isn't able to move past a certain fixed point on its travel. Apart from that I can only assume it might be software. Have you tried using another piece of software?

I'm particularly fond of dBpoweramp and EAC although the former is the easier of the two to get to grips with.

Try downloading dBpoweramp and follow this guide to CD ripping. See how you get on with that and if you have the same issues.

Another thing that springs to mind here is whether there is a firmware update for the drive itself, or as suggested, could be the actual media is incompatable with the drive, which is a fairly common problem.

Had a similar problem on my Dell desktop few years ago, In this case it was DVD's that stopped burning at about 2.5Gb. Old external drive worked OK. Finally convinced Dell support that it was the drive and they sent a new one. Worked fine ever since

Back