Favorite tube station for photography

Name
Naveen
Edit My Images
No
Hey visiting london tomorrow. Got some spare time, so thinking of taking a few pictures of tube stations. Whats your favorite ones, the classic ones?

Are tripods allowed inside stations?

My experience has been, if you look like a tourist, you will not be hassled; however, if you look like a photographer, chances are they'll ask you to move on.

As for which ones I prefer, too many to choose from. I'd suggest get a day pass up to zone two, and take the Circle Line / Central Line / Jubilee Line to give you a mix of different time eras. One of my favourite is Baker Street, it looks like something from the 19th Century (y); while Southwark looks too Star Wars :thinking:

I dont think the powers that be are to happy to let you stand around taking pictures in the stations , Ive been asked to pack up and move on a few times.

There lies another question about photographers' rights.

Are tube stations public places or privately-owned as in LRT-ownership? If the former then they have no business in requiring you to move along. I accept sadly, that in these days of heightened security it is not unreasonable that you should be asked for your purpose in taking pictures. If tube stations are private property, then perhaps a reasonably short and sincere explanation may suffice in them allowing you to stay. In shopping malls for instance, all you need is ask permission from their admin office and it is usually granted with a smile.

£50 for a student / non prefessional permit.

But hey, just do it. If they ask then you say you didnt know, very sorry, will delete the images and then move on.

Photogrpahy in a public place of anyone or anything is permitted. So you can stand on the opposite side of the strrt to a station and take a photo, but not in the station itself.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/termsandconditions/14696.aspx
Rule 15 is a funny one.....

15. LUL does not permit filming or photography of the following activities:
unlicensed busking
begging
smoking or use of illegal drugs
vandalism or graffiti
ticket touting/fare evasion
assaults on passengers/staff
use of firearms or other weapons
activities of an overtly sexual or otherwise indecent nature (including nudity)

So althoughthe above goes on (particulary the first 5), everyone knows it goes on, the station / police etc know it goes on....you cant photograph it!!!:wacky:

However, given the above, i have seen photographers taking snaps without a permit. Tourists do it all the time. I have done it (inadvertantly as i didnt know you needed a permit at the time)

50 quid for a permit lasting a month which may be revoked at any time and for which to use you'l have to have a valid ticket to travel on the tube - what a cheek and attempt to make money out of a poor student.

I agree with the suggestion gpc1 ;) and thanks for the link

Anyone knowing anything about HoP Committee Room 4 please feel free to advise

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=441661

Thanks pals

With a tripod you're less likely to get away with it. I've heard them coming over the tannoy to admonish people using them before. Baker Street is quite good because you have a good mix of types of platforms and trains in the station and the circle line stop is one of the first underground stations so has nice old brick arches etc.

Back