Favourite film pics of 2016?

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
We had one of these the last couple of years, and it was fun, something to while away the dull hours while nothing is happening over the next week or so... ;) Maybe one colour, one black and white? Or a few more, if you can't restrain yourselves... :)

We had one of these the last couple of years, and it was fun, something to while away the dull hours while nothing is happening over the next week or so... ;) Maybe one colour, one black and white? Or a few more, if you can't restrain yourselves... :)

Good idea Chris.

I've taken very few shots I'm even vaguely happy with this year but I did quite like the juxtaposition of cathedral watchers in this one. Voigtlander Vitomatic II on Fomapan 100.
Cathedral-View by Andy, on Flickr

I know this one is compositionally bad (I failed to get the whole mountain in shot) but it has the feel of the day about right. Rolleiflex Automat on (I think) Kodak Ektar 100.
Buckle1 by Andy, on Flickr

I was going to put up one colour and one black and white, but I'm not so happy with my mono work this year. I very much liked this one, taken on Vista 400 with the Pentax-M 100mm f/4 "macro" lens:

And, because it's favourite rather than best, I know this is out of focus, and a heavy crop, but I've only one grandchild and I just love it. Probably Pentax-M 35mm f/2 lens, definitely 2007-expired Reala 100 shot at 80

EDIT: should probably have made that smaller! Have now replaced with one where the flaws might be less in-your-face...

EDIT again... now I can't see the second pic at all... but I expect others will be able to ;)

Last edited:
I have two photos on Flickr from this year... I have some scanning to but this has not been a productive year.

On the Gracht, Pentax 645N, 45mm, Fuji 400H 220 rated at 200 ASA
28378784771_0304e2bdb8_b.jpg

Llynau Mymbr Dawn, Voigtlander Bessa L, 15mm Heliar Aspherical, Portra 400 rated at 200 ASA
30955146722_348a1a075a_b.jpg

Lost in music, Pentax 645N, 200m FA, OOD Ilford FP4 220 rated at 80 ASA
28267138082_40b25c815b_b.jpg

Place of books, Pentax 645N, 45mm FA, Ilford FP4
25430343894_cc1a7414f5_b.jpg

Last edited:
So 2016 marked my first proper foray into film with a bronica sqa.

IMG_1483348140.707693.jpg

This shot because I loved her expression

IMG_1483348226.628872.jpg

My first ever film shot with the bronica sqa- still not printed it yet[emoji85]

IMG_1483348432.743500.jpg this one of Jess smiling by the beach in Bamburgh because I love her expression, love the place and love how much fun she was having. Also the first time I went out with just the film camera!

And the last one also from Bamburgh taken a few moments after Jess by the beach - Sophia in the sand dunes.

IMG_1483348606.755014.jpg

y, on Flickr

I know this one is compositionally bad (I failed to get the whole mountain in shot) but it has the feel of the day about right. Rolleiflex Automat on (I think) Kodak Ektar 100.
on Flickr

why do you think that's compositionally bad, i think its lovely and would of been a far duller image without the stream in and just the mountain plonked in the middle, and well done for not going the whole "smokey water" look :) Tonally and compositionally its great!

I only shot 200 images last year! and from them it looks like 4 locations and they all pretty much suck or ive posted samples fairly recently so im not going to add any and just hope i get some mojo back in 2017

why do you think that's compositionally bad, i think its lovely and would of been a far duller image without the stream in and just the mountain plonked in the middle

:agree:

If this had been posted asking for critique, I'd explain in detail why I think it works. As it wasn't, I won't :D.

It's Glencoe again!

River Coupall & Buachaille Etive Mor - Glencoe

This one is on Portra160 with a Fuji GA645Wi

This is one of my favourite shots of 2016 and probably my most successful ever 5x4 shots, taken in the Lumsdale Valley on the Peaks meet.
Intrepid 5x4, Ektar 100, processed by Peak and scanned on a Epson 750, tweaked in Lightroom.

Intrepid Ektar 02 by Nick Watson, on Flickr

So I think I've taken less than 10 photos in 2016, the colour work is yet to be sent to peak. Of the B&W stuff however, I am fairly happy with this one

Towards Porthcothan, Cornwall by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

No filters, 10s exposure.
That is wonderful Woodsy, it should be printed large and displayed in all its moody magnificence.

Excellent Nick but IMO you'll have to Photoshop that bottle out of the shot.

That's a fantastic shot Nick, one of the best in this thread. I'm annoyed with @excalibur2 for making me look for the bottle!!! ;)

Excellent Nick but IMO you'll have to Photoshop that bottle out of the shot.
Thanks Brian, I am quite pleased with it although I have to disagree with you over the bottle, it was there bobbing around and I see it as a sad indictment of the 21st century and man's inhumanity to man and to remove it in Photoshop would be another reminder that we have welcomed and embraced the nightmare of politically controlled revisionist history as predicted in Orwell's 1984 (if perhaps a little later than he predicted). "Who controls the past controls the future, and who controls the present controls the past." ;)

That's a fantastic shot Nick, one of the best in this thread. I'm annoyed with @excalibur2 for making me look for the bottle!!! ;)
Thank you Chris, don't let the bottle put you off :D

That's a stunner, Nick. I'd be so proud if I'd taken that!
Thank you Charlotte, much appreciated.

Thanks Brian, I am quite pleased with it although I have to disagree with you over the bottle, it was there bobbing around and I see it as a sad indictment of the 21st century and man's inhumanity to man and to remove it in Photoshop would be another reminder that we have welcomed and embraced the nightmare of politically controlled revisionist history as predicted in Orwell's 1984 (if perhaps a little later than he predicted). "Who controls the past controls the future, and who controls the present controls the past." ;)

Thank you Chris, don't let the bottle put you off :D

Thank you Charlotte, much appreciated.

The bottle ruins it...... :D

And also the fact that I didn't take it :(

Actually it's a beauty. (y)

Back