Felipe Massa Crash

Moved to 'Out Of Focus' as motorsport is for photo sharing.

Was a nasty whack though :(

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/16s5PJoyjQo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/16s5PJoyjQo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

It went through the visor just missing his left eye. Broke his skull. He's very lucky.

This vid is slightly clearer. And without the french!

Heard this on my way back from Donington and was in shock most of the way back, He was one of the first to come out from the F1 paddock last weekend with a message for the Surtees family.

Such a freak accident aswell

Seen a picture online taken when he was taken out of the car and there is alot of damage to his face and he is very lucky to be here

Now I wasn't his biggest fan (Being a Hamilton/McLaren fan myself) but I would love to see him pull through and get back into racing, he made last year fantastic

Get Well Soon Felipe

So much for crash helmets. It went straight through it seems :eek:

There not really designed for a lump of metal hitting them at that speed though, they do brilliantly in a typical crash situation, this was just an extremely unlucky 1 in a million chance incident.

the early reports were a little confusing, some saying that the impact from the spring dazed him, causing him to go off, and the impact with the tirewall causing a piece of his own car hit him in the face, and sky had him near death last night

Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery, never been a big fan but I hope he makes a full recovery

you can see his visor flipping up with the impact in the vid Blue posted, ouch

Looks like all the video on youtube has been removed, I'm getting "This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions"

"The condition of the driver is serious, but stable," said a spokesman at Budapest's AEK Hospital.

The hospital's chief doctor Peter Bazso added: "At the moment he's under anaesthetic and will be woken up on Sunday."

F1 have taken every video offline >.< I only say the onboard camera video, but bloody horrific!!!

Just read a report that the doctors have said he has some damage to his eye and may never race again

lets hope thats not true :(

F1 have taken every video offline >.< I only say the onboard camera video, but bloody horrific!!!

F1 take every modern Youtube video down, so you can thank Mr Ecclestone for that one.

All I can think is that he's very lucky the spring wasn't an inch lower, because then it would have hit him square in the face, and I think we'd have had our first F1 fatality since Imola 1994.

I'm sure most of you have seen the horrible image of him being extracted from the car showing the injury to his face in the papers or online today. Link here to the story and photo on Sky News, but be warned it is a chilling picture.

It seems at the moment he will live, but I doubt we will see him in an F1 car again :(

So much for crash helmets. It went straight through it seems :eek:

id suggest that without a crash helmet his condition would be a hell of a lot worse, the crash helmet acted admirably in this situation, saving his life.

obviously we wish fillipe and his family all the best and hope he makes a full recovery, i know he gets some negative press for his attitude but personally hes one of my favourite drivers, and the way he handled loosing the drivers championship last year was very professional. and i hope we see him back in an F1 car soon.

Last edited:
Some shocking images from the crash are on the Autoblog

you can see how lucky he was that it didn't actually go through the visor and hit the main helmet body. We wouldn't see Massa again if it had gone through

his eye doesnt look too clever at all does it

Back