Female Blackcap, feeding on Apple.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Very envious of these, Paul...the female Blackcap is my fav bird ( or is it the Common Snipe :confused: ) and it's a bird I really want to photograph this year, so congrats on the shots.

Good flash insertion and use here… lovely!

Lovely birds but very territorial and will chase anything else off ... well done on the captures :)

Very envious of these, Paul...the female Blackcap is my fav bird ( or is it the Common Snipe :confused: ) and it's a bird I really want to photograph this year, so congrats on the shots.

Cheers Andy, she was a real surprise, i was taking some shots of Blackbirds feeding on the apple drops, the sun came out, and she came out of nowhere, and landed right in front of me, where she spent a minute feeding on the apple...This was a bonus for me, since i had spent over an hour searching for some Brambling, (which i never did find on the day)!

Good flash insertion and use here… lovely!

Not sure what you mean by flash insertion? but yes, shes a lovely little bird.

Lovely birds but very territorial and will chase anything else off ... well done on the captures :)

Thanks for that, yes, these birds can be quite vicious...Ive had both male and female in my garden, through some winters, and they will always try to control the bird table.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited:
the low winter sun was out in force

This lucky incidence lead me to believe you might have used a flash… brilliantly!
Sorry, my mistake… I was never so lucky!

This lucky incidence lead me to believe you might have used a flash… brilliantly!
Sorry, my mistake… I was never so lucky!

Its very rare (in my opinion) that a flash works with wild bird photography, most of the images that i see(when flash is used for birds) fails. Flash shows up real bad in the eyes of a bird, in the few images that Ive seen.
The catch light in these Blackcap's eyes, is the sun. I was approx 25 feet from the bird, my Nikon V1 does not have a flash ;)

Cheers Paul.

Its very rare (in my opinion) that a flash works with wild bird photography

I have seen a lot of successful birds/flash takes… more then
your cool and lucky shots with the perfect Sun incidence!

I have seen a lot of successful birds/flash takes… more then
your cool and lucky shots with the perfect Sun incidence!

No doubt you have mate...Im just wondering how anyone can shoot images of wild birds using flash??? How do you set up such shots? I doubt any of the forum members on here, in this bird section, use flash for their wild bird photography??? if they do. Id like to see some examples?!

For me, i take "spare of the moment"..."as it unfolds"...natural wild bird images, that occur, when Im out and about.

Cheers Paul.

A very nice set

Cheers Kevin, i guess the mild winter this year has meant much fewer sightings of Blackcaps...well, for me anyway.

Paul,

maybe this could be of some interest:

http://www.digitalbirdphotography.com/7.1.html

I may well read that later? but just having a quick look at those images, confirms my beliefs, which are, for the most part, "flash" for wild bird photography (especially in the eye department) equals fail.

Cheers Paul.

Lovely set of images.

I was hoping to see a Blackcap or two yesterday whilst out walking in the local woods, but didn't :(

Did see my first Goldcrest though, watched it for about 5 minutes amongst the holly bush :)

Really lovely shots of a superb looking bird. I love seeing Blackcaps, both male and female but you have really captured this one very well and in great light.

Lovely set of images.

I was hoping to see a Blackcap or two yesterday whilst out walking in the local woods, but didn't :(

Did see my first Goldcrest though, watched it for about 5 minutes amongst the holly bush :)

Cheers, if the weather gets colder, it might just bring a few more Blackcaps our way soon.
Goldcrests are little jewels for sure, i have at least 2 of em fly through my garden, along with a mixed flock of Tits.

Really lovely shots of a superb looking bird. I love seeing Blackcaps, both male and female but you have really captured this one very well and in great light.

Thanks for that, yes, the bright sunlight behind me, certainly helped with these images.

Very nice.

Cheers.

they are beautiful warblers

Indeed they are.
Several years ago, i had a long staying pair in my garden, and at one point, i saw the male with nesting material in his beak! I got all excited about the prospects of a Blackcap nest in the garden! But nothing came of it!

Cheers Paul.

Back