Female Smew

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
One from last week on a visit to WWT Martin Mere near Southport, bit of an arty rendition of a female Smew.

female-smew-1732-1.jpg

I like that, works well :)

I like it, any chance you could post the unprocessed image too? It would be interesting to see.

Thanks everyone, here's the original straight out of camera shot... just resized...

smew-1732-original.jpg

I used Photmatix Pro to adjust the micro contast, just to compensate for using -1/3rd ev and a very mild shapening, the rest involved using the Lighten RGB Tool in Paint Shop Pro to lighten the background and a slight crop.

Camera: Canon EOS100D, Lens Sigma 150-600mm C, f6.3, iso400, 1/200th, focal length 361mm -0.3ev

Last edited:

I like that better, Geoff.

Just crop from the top left a tad to de-centre the bird and apply your pp
without the vignette this time.

And here is the edited version and crop, pretty much as you said, this was an 'arty rendition'

14290-1453847754-f2580d4c40d0a8242143112ddeecd87e.jpg

It wasn't a vignette as such, more I just lightened the backgorund. I'd seen a similar effect done elsewhere and thought this was an odeal candidate to experiment with.

Last edited:
I prefer the last version - not a great fan of positive vignettes which I appreciate is more personal taste than anything else.

Thanks Edward, yes I know what you mean, mostly I would just have posted the last image, but I'd seen a few images where the positive vignettes worked really well and it did remind of those old watercolour paintings,

I prefer the first edit as it pushes all the focus onto the bird and reflection, which is very nice. Because the water is so interesting in itself, removing most of it enhances the overall effect. Thanks for showing something differnet.

I like both, but as the processing makes it looks less photographic (not in a bad way), I'm in favour of the more subtle approach personally.

I love your images, they are so sharp and the first one is really artistic and works so well for me.

I prefer the last one as well, although I actually like the first one as well - I just thought it was a bit bright (strained my eyes a little to be honest).

Back