feriso 2011.52.18 Power (mega catch up)

Hi David.
Some great photos in your 52 thus far. I really like the trio theme. It's a great family portrait and should most definitely get printed out and put up on the wall.
I quite like the shadow for your object theme. It fills the empty space but because it's not a harsh shadow and is slightly diffused it doesn't detract attention from the object itself.

Last edited:
Hi David , apologies for missing so many of your shots :crying:

Love your Trio....good to see a color shot amongst the B&W , works really well (y)

Knowledge...heavens that does look hard (y) Like the focus & DOF

Moderation....good choice for the theme & nicely positioned but maybe a tad bright ?

Empty .... beautiful shells & you've captured their texture well.I think the shadows work ok as it's natural (y)

Moderation might be a bit bright, my intention was to try and give it a slightly glowing/stylish feel; that and try and loose the texture of the towel in the background. I need to invest in some background really!

Anyway thanks for the C&C; I'm quite enjoying the 52 atm, although it can be tough at times but it makes you think about shots and try new things (for me at least anyway!)

"Object" - Nicely taken! And a good idea
"Empty" - you've got the detail, as has been mentioned the shadow is a marmite thing :)
"Moderation" - Classic, but well shot!
"Knowledge" and "Trio" have been done well.
"Finish" took a while to figure out what it was... Looks like something in amber or a microchip type thing

The others look good too, although I felt stlye you blew the white bottles outline, but perhaps in a reshoot at some point?

Keep it up :)

Lovely 'object' shot - particularly like the way you have lit the figures to achieve the shadow and your 'trio' shots are just beautiful.

Top marks for the use of a shadow on the 'object' shot! And well done for not getting any particularly distracting hot spots from the flash.

Out of interest, how are you setting up and lighting your still life shots?

Thanks for the comments

ecniv - I know what you are saying here but it might be one of those marmite shots as others have commented it's OK. I might try it again now I have a flash as lighting was the biggest problem on that shot (or the lack of it)

TopBanana - These are just set up in my study/utility room using either sheets of plain paper or a towel as backdrop (hence my comments about needing to get some proper material for this job in black/white. Lighting varies on them; the last two were done using an off shoe flash in manual. For the shells the light was bounced and for the object it was direct, all the others have just been no flash and just using exposure time and tweaking in Aperture to get the desired effect.

Hi

I rather like your empty shot but you have dust ;) I'm not sure about the positioning of the shells within the composition. :thinking:

Your object of love is a hard shot (I feel) You have done well (IMO) to have so few and such small blown spots. I also believe your idea to include the shadow was probably correct but for compositional reasons it might have looked better to have the full length of the statue in shot?

I look forward to your take on Wrong ;)

Dust? I checked not long ago on a high aperture and couldn't see anything; if its that spot then I think its a mark on the backdrop that I didn't clean off/clone out.

You're probably right about the whole statue, but I'm sure I tried it and didn't like it for some reason.

Wrong - well I'm still stumped for ideas and I'm off on hols this afternoon until Monday week so I might go adrift for a while. But as they say "I'll be back" ;)

Hi David, I really like your trio, 3 very nice photographs there, I am just wondering how it would look if 1 and 3 were swapped over, so that both faces would be looking inwards?

I'd never of thought of that, or I don't think I would have :thinking:
But yes, I agree.

I like the shot too and wish my mob would keep still long enough to get a shot of them.

Enjoy your hols.

OK, so its serious catch up time, not forgotten just busy busy.....

Week 15 - Wrong
tp-52-15.jpg

Now, I've driven past this sign many times and to me it's just wrong. Not a WOW photo but certainly showing whats wrong. It's crossing the line between this and paradox but I have one coming so there it is...

Week 16 - Paradox
tp-52-16.jpg

Now i got involved in taking some photos for a show that a few friends are involved in (Pirates of Penzance) and this is a shot of the 'Paradox' song about Fredericks 21st birthday. Also a bit of a paradox in that its an old world show using old words set in modern clothing. Not the best shot I know but it was the first time I had done quite a few shots of a show like this where the lighting was dark/varied. It certainly made me realise why I could do with a better lens for shots like this (I have my eye on either a 70-200 f4 L or a 200 f2.8 L)

Week 17 - Tropical

Work In Progress

Week 18 - Power
tp-52-18.jpg

Now it had been bugging me for some time that photography is not all about having the most expensive kit and setting it all up, most of it is seeing it and constructing it; this is where I set my self a bit of a challenge - could I do what I wanted with another camera (say a P&S). This is the result, a slightly obvious one but I think it tones well with the slightly moody sky and the pylons in the foreground. I did a bit of colour PP to enhance the colours but taken in my iPhone4. On another note (self promotion alert :D) I set my self a bit of a task of snapshots during a days commuting and I've displayed the results here C&C welcome

Now to work on week 19 and I'll update 17 just as soon as I finish.

Last edited:
Wrong

I have also driven past this sign and it always makes me smile. You have an excellent take on the theme (y) Don't denigrate your image, it is crisp and clear ;)

Paradox

I'm glad you explained the rationale for the picture :confused: I like the composition in terms of the movement you have captured and regret the clipping of the hat and the intrusion on the bottom. The b&w treatment certainly doesn't draw attention to the modern dress, so a good idea (y)

Power

Maybe it is an obvious take on the theme but appropriate :) I can see it looks as if taken out of a train window as it seems a little soft, possibly the inevitable result of iPhone then subsequent editing?

Well done in getting so up to date :clap:

Thanks for the comments; I was actually on the train but I knew in advance that I would be travelling (it's not often that I do atm) so I set myself up for this one by makign sure i was on the correct side of the train to take the shot. Its probably a little soft due to the PP I did, I put in quite a lot of noise reduction as it had some artifacts that I just didn't like - have I over done it? quite possibly, I'll try and put up the non-NR version of it for comments tonight.

Paradox; not the most obvious one I know, my other idea was to build an illusion from Lego, but I needed to go to my Dads for that - and thats an event in its self.

Hiya David,

OMG I can't believe I have totally missed your Photo52, I feel terrible. Anyway here I am and going to do a quick catch-up:

Accommodation: Great idea for the theme. Love the colours, although it looks a little soft to me, but that adds to the atmosphere of the playhouse.

New: When I first saw the photo I wasn't quite sure how it related to the theme, but after reading, now understand. I'm not sure about the shadow on the right. A lovely capture of a mother/daughter moment.

Style: Hmmm, I can see where you are going with this, but there are a few things that I would have perhaps done different. The white bottle against the white background makes it all look very bright, almost over-exposed. I find the pink bottle a bit distracting with the barcode and also the light reflection. I would have probably left the straighteners out of the photo. It is a very busy and tight crop.

Open: I like the first photo, it almost looks like it was taken in a dark wax-works meuseum. I like the 2nd photo too with the trees silhouette against the moody sky.

Hard: Wasn't sure how it related till I read your interpretation, then it clicked (it must be because I am typing this at 2am :LOL:) I like the skin tone and DOF.

Delicate: Great idea and I think the softness would have added to it.

Clutter: Like the b&w conversion, also like the way you have all the bottles with the labels facing different ways, although the way the bottles are all lined up give it a more organised appearance. Definitely has a dark moody feel to it though.

Chaos: Looks like chaos to me, who has to do the cleaning up? :LOL: Didn't see the movement until I read .... I thought it was lighting. Also not sure about the see through door.

Finish: Again wasn't sure what this was about .... but after reading can see what you were trying to achieve. The positioning of the glass in the frame is wrong and all the speckles on the left, what are they? Also the focus looking into the glass is out. I think this one may need some more work.

Trio: Lovely photos, need some work on the composition though and I would have either gone with all colour or all black and white, not a combination.

Knowledge: I like the DOF, I would have perhaps tried to keep the focus down the centre of the book with the OOF to the sides. The vignette effect adds a nice touch to the photo.

Moderation: Wow the background is a bit too bright, I think a different/softer colour would have worked better here. I would have also not included the tall glass as I think the small one speak enough about the moderation and I would have positioned it a little more right of the box.

Empty: Nice idea and the background is a definite improvement to the previous. IMO a bit more space left and lower would work better. Also if you had turned the left shell slightly may have avoided the shadow. There is a tiny spot to the right of the other shell, could be a dust spot.

Object: I think you have done well with this one and the background works well here. Wasn't sure about the shadow at first, but the more I look at it the more I like it. Well done.

Wrong: :LOL: indeed, I have seen this sign before and thought how strange. Did you do some selective colouring on this one? I only ask, because it looks like you missed a bit at the top right of the sign. Otherwise a sharp shot.

Paradox: Another photo where without reading what it is about I wouldn't have put it to the theme. Not bad, composition wise, although you have clipped the chaps hat on the left and the image could do with a sharpen. I like the b&w conversion though.

Power: Shouts power to me, both from the pylons and the stacks. Love the moody sky. Not sure about the processing, although it seems to add to the feel of the shot.

Look forward to seeing the tropical shot and the most recent theme.

Wow I can't believe it is now 2.30am ... time for me to hit the pit.

Apologies again for not getting to your project sooner and also if I have repeated what may have already been said/commented - I haven't had chance to read each post for the weeks, just scanned some.

You have some good photos and I can see you are definitely making progress.

Cheers

Dawn :)

I like the power shot, and the processing gives it an almost sin city look. That's exactly what I was looking for this morning, shooting wise. Since I'd last been in the fields not far from me (about 15 years ago!) apparently the huge power lines have gone, to be replaced with smaller ones. Ho hum :D

Hi

I've missed your 52 also!

I love the secret bunker photo... We have one in fife in scotland too... not exactly secret!

All your shots are great... the moderation one is overexposed in my eyes!

The rest are all fab too... trio would be a fab set to get blown up for the house or grandparents etc!

Some great shots in your thread. The sunset from week 4 stands out for me, but that wonderful tender image from week 2 is still my favourite.

Really like the power shot. Oozes power and I like the processing.

Patrick

Week 18 - Power
tp-52-18.jpg

Now it had been bugging me for some time that photography is not all about having the most expensive kit and setting it all up, most of it is seeing it and constructing it; this is where I set my self a bit of a challenge - could I do what I wanted with another camera (say a P&S). This is the result, a slightly obvious one but I think it tones well with the slightly moody sky and the pylons in the foreground. I did a bit of colour PP to enhance the colours but taken in my iPhone4.

what a great idea for a challenge within a challenge, david... and i feel you're right.. its more about whats inside you essentially..as the camera can only take what you point it at...though i'm sure mine takes photos whilst i'm not looking....thats another story...loving the capture though (y)

Kev

Back