FF vs crop camera scale

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
If you take a shot with a 1.6 crop camera (EOS 40D) camera then take exactly the same shot, same lens etc with a full frame camera (5D) and cropped the image in PS to the same size as the 40D image would the image be at the same magnification (scale)? :thinking:

Hope this makes sense

Thanks for the reply James

If the crop was made to the same pixel scale i.e. 10mp what then? and what difference does pixel size have in all this? :thinking:

The reason I'm asking is... I have a 30D at 8mp the 40D has 10mp but both are 1.6 crop and as far as I know the sensor is the same size :amstupid: so what is the benefit?

You have to look at the sensor size, the pixel count, and the maximum size of the file it outputs at 1:1 reproduction.

Whatever the sensor size, a given lens will put the same size image on the sensor. It's when you come to cropping that image that there are big advantages in the crop sensor with the most pixels and outputting the larger file.

Damn - it's took me ages to find this. Have a read it should help some...

CLICKY

Thanks CT

I understand the lens will give the same image size, but pixel size has to be relevent or does it?
Small compact cameras can have 8mp with tiny sensors, surely a larger pixel gives a larger output file?... sorry not trying to be thick :thinking: would like to know the importance of pixel size and sensor size :thinking:

Edit: Posted before I read you second post with the link. Thanks CT

The sensor is PHYSICALLY the same size. However more (or less) light receptors are packed onto the same size chip on the different models to give you a different MP rating.

The pixels don't change size, only the number of them. Remember that a pixel is a single 'dot' of colour

I feel it might be time to wheel out this visualisation again. It's a bit out of date now - it doesn't have the 1Ds Mk III, the 40D or the 450D - but I'm sure you get the idea.

Crop-factor-demo-2.jpg

The sensor is PHYSICALLY the same size. However more (or less) light receptors are packed onto the same size chip on the different models to give you a different MP rating.

The pixels don't change size, only the number of them. Remember that a pixel is a single 'dot' of colour

I'm sorry but the sensor sizes for the different crop size cameras are PHYSICALLY different sizes, as are the photosite sizes which equate to the pixels. The photosite size depends on how many megapixels there are in relation to the physical size of the sensor.

I took a pic a while ago thats pretty simple to show the difference between my 30D and 1dmk2

sensorsize2.jpg

Back