ffordes break in..!

The life of Brian and Black adder in WW1 if it's done right you can make anything amusing..how far back would be the debating point from days to thousands of years.

I was working in the aerospace industry when the shuttle blew just after lift off.

The jokes came the very next day.

I was in a pub quiz team named crack in a space ship, the evening after the shuttle burned up on re-entry. Fair mix of "oh, too soon" and laughs.

I'd be very interested to know the conditions which have to be met in order for the appropriate time to be recognised.

I'm genuinely trying to think of what I need for an empirical formula for this.

The equation for comedy is C = Tr + T (where C is comedy, Tr is tragedy and T is Time) the main problem is that T is a variable and is different for each comedian and their viewer/listener.

I was working in the aerospace industry when the shuttle blew just after lift off.

The jokes came the very next day.

HUH.....well I suppose people who don't care would find anything funny...but people who care can find something amusing that happens to your\our enemy.

Last edited:
Isn't that too simplistic? Surely it must depend on the seriousness of the tragedy as well? I suspect that the formula is going to turn out to be along the lines of Katz equation for total resolution of a film and lens system.

If I had £166,000 worth of cameras they'd be in a big safe unless somebody wanted to see or buy them , as posted above these wont be being sold at a boot sale , they'll be out of the country by now

Isn't that too simplistic? Surely it must depend on the seriousness of the tragedy as well? I suspect that the formula is going to turn out to be along the lines of Katz equation for total resolution of a film and lens system.

Hari Seldon would know

Well going completely off topic for one post....I suppose it depends at the time as well e.g. how many people (in WW2) who normally care, but didn't care, when about 40,000 many, women and children died on the raid on Hamburg in a fire storm.

Britain has got through two world wars on 'dark' humour and laughing out loud in the face of adversity and oppression and, in my view, long may that continue. Unfortunately, one of the previous comments perhaps set a bit of a 'tone', but let's not confuse that with what was a harmless 'throwaway' joke. To be honest, when I saw the list and noticed the Billingham bag that same thought crossed my mind, as I imagine it did the minds of one or two others who read it. I think that's a good thing, after all, the news these days is so bleak and depressing it's good to know that a bit of 'daftness' is still alive somewhere within our souls and the modern world hasn't broken our spirits completely.

I think it's important to support and help Ffordes as best we can through (and after) this incident, and my sympathy is well and truly with them, but let's not lose sight of proportion and our traditional stoic sense of humour. (y)

Last edited:
Britain has got through two world wars on 'dark' humour and laughing out loud in the face of adversity and oppression and, in my view, long may that continue. Unfortunately, one of the previous comments perhaps set a bit of a 'tone', but let's not confuse that with what was a harmless 'throwaway' joke. To be honest, when I saw the list and noticed the Billingham bag that same thought crossed my mind, as I imagine it did the minds of one or two others who read it. I think that's a good thing, after all, the news these days is so bleak and depressing it's good to know that a bit of 'daftness' is still alive somewhere within our souls and the modern world hasn't broken our spirits completely.

I think it's important to support and help Ffordes as best we can through (and after) this incident, and my sympathy is well and truly with them, but let's not loose sight of proportion and our traditional stoic sense of humour. (y)

It's all to complicated as we might as well throw in revenge (payback or whatever) into the equation as coming back to ffordes.... if anyone (might be one?) had been ripped off, they wouldn't care or could be pleased.

Don't ARP on about it :D

I was answering the point above my post ref. Worldwide audience.

It's me reading the post differently.... while DPreview could be normal chatter among digi guys, to me it sounded like WOW DPreview has mentioned the break in when there are many digi forums.

Humour, like beauty is often in the eye or ear of the beholder. I personally found the remark hilarious and so did my wife :D

strangely, the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the list was pretty much word for word what you wrote...

Blessed are the cheesemakers, say I (in fact all makers of dairy produce). I also found it amusing and I am a notorious curmudgeon :D.

I'd be one of those too, but can't spell it, so I'm just a miserable b*****d. Still thought that the comment was amusing, in a kind of "dark humour to get through bad things" kind of way.

I'm so glad we don't all belong to the PC brigade. What a dull world we'd live in.

Naah, not all PC here, I've got a couple of old sun sparcstations and even a Next Cube in the loft, and a Mac kicking around somewhere...

Back