FFORDES

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Big thumbs up to FFORDES, purveyors of all things photographic and second hand. I was a bit hesitant about buying a lens for my Bronica unseen so I emailed them for a fuller description. A while later I got a response informing me they have a 10 day approval period on second hand equipment to ensure it's all working and matches the description and on top of that you get a six month garuntee. Impressive for second hand gear I think and the price was better than eBay too.(y)

Got my 70-200 f4L from them of a recommendation from here and they are awesome. Description was more than accurate and they were quick.

To be fair they could do with having the website updating but apart from that its A++++ :D

Treated myself to an old SLR from them this time last year. Gave them a phone call first and they were extremely helpful and friendly and also told me about the 10 day period. Delivery was next day as well and it was Christmas week!

Big thumbs up from me! (y)

Got a rare Tamron f/2.8 35-105mm which didn't arrive with the lens hood as pictured. When I found one on fleabay, they happily refunded its value.

The "ex-demo" Manfrotto stuff was mint, to my eyes, and cheaper than used fleabay items.

Sorry to sour this thread , FFordes only offered me £100 for a mint Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG ,but the most insulting thing about it was ,when i ask the guy how did he come to the price ,he smirked at me and said ,that's all it's worth !!!!! .My reply was "do you know how much their going for on the internet" ,his reply was,"i don't really look at internet prices " .I was well ****ed off i can tell you !.So guess what,i wont be going back .

Last edited:
Sorry to sour this thread , FFordes only offered me £100 for a mint Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG ,but the most insulting thing about it was ,when i ask the guy how did he come to the price ,he smirked at me and said ,that's all it's worth !!!!! .My reply was "do you know how much their going for on the internet" ,his reply was,"i don't really look at internet prices " .I was well ****ed off i can tell you !.So guess what,i wont be going back .

Sounds like a very good offer from a dealer for something that can be bought new for £235 :shrug:

That's not unusual at all. I called Grays of Westminster a while back to see what they'd give me for my 28-70. They told me £400, even though at the time they had 2 in the second han section of their website for £800.

They also offered me £900 for a brand new, factory sealed D2Xs (this was just before the D3 was coming out but when the D2X was still in shops for £2.5k) when they had one in the second hand section for £1700.

I've been up there, they are a friendly very helpful bunch.
I bought a used Metz 45-CL4 from them and after a month it went wrong so I posted it back to them. within a week they had shipped another one in better condition back to me at no extra charge. I rate them as first class.

I was in too minds whether to buy a D2x from them while I was up there but the lad there said I would be better off keeping my D1x for what I want at the minute.

If you are ever up that way they are well worth a visit.

I got my 30D from Ffordes in Jan 2008... fantastic - it was described as mint-.... the only - was the shop sticker on the bottom; all the plastic bags were on the stuff in the kit.

I always look there first because of the service I received... once I have got the hang of this 35mm digital stuff I may well go for a MF of some sort and will look there first, being a naturally suspicious type and not trusting eBay.

B.

Yeah, they usually offer 50% of what they expect to sell at.

It always amazes me that second hand dealers ever get stock really - I know a chap who just sold his D700 to Gray's and got £650 for it. Amazing - I'd tell 'em to shove it personally :)

It's simple really. If you do not like the price you are offered , dont accept it....

Yeah, they usually offer 50% of what they expect to sell at.

It always amazes me that second hand dealers ever get stock really - I know a chap who just sold his D700 to Gray's and got £650 for it. Amazing - I'd tell 'em to shove it personally :)

Indeed! Especially with the popularity of the internet where you can usually easily get its 2nd hand value!

Back