File numbering with two cameras

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Am I over thinking this but if using two cameras at an event how do you name the files?

I use photos on the mac for quick delivery and it shows the pics in imported order, so if I import one set then another the same pics (time wise) are separated by quite a distance.

Do you copy then to a folder, sort by date then import? Or is there some naming/numbering think I can do?

T

Am I over thinking this but if using two cameras at an event how do you name the files?

I use photos on the mac for quick delivery and it shows the pics in imported order, so if I import one set then another the same pics (time wise) are separated by quite a distance.

Do you copy then to a folder, sort by date then import? Or is there some naming/numbering think I can do?

T

Mm not sure what you mean here.

All cameras give you the option in the settings to rename the files so for example I have 4 x A7III’s each are named in the camera settings as A71_, A72_ etc.

I import all files from all cameras to one folder then arrange by date. It is important to sync the time on the cameras every time before use as the time fluctuates.

I use the custom rename option on import to Lightroom - and add a camera specific name at that stage, much as Tommy does in camera.

I ensure my camera bodies have different base filenames. Despite this I keep the data files in separate folders, each further divided by date.

Similar to above - the 7D files are GG7_xxxx and the 5D is GG5_xxxx. Mrs Moggys are TG5_xxxx etc For canons its selectable in the yellow part of the menus

Lightroom can recognise a camera by serial number on import. I use this to ensure the correct profile is used automatically. However, I only store my images by date so output from two different camera could be interlaced. If I needed to differentiate between them the filter allows you to set any metadata including camera model and serial number.

Dave

Definitely integrate the two, so I can see the pictures taken in time sequence.

I think I have found the reason, the older camera is still on summer time but newer camera is on daylight savings, so -1 hour! Hence when looking the pics were out of their order taken.

Also, the main album 'all photos' in apple photos only shows them in date added, I need to create a specific album and add the pics there, which can then be sorted in time taken order.

Must remember to synchronise the clocks and create a new album!!!!

I will go and write that out 100 times!

Thank you all for helping me when you were probably thinking wtf is he talking about :LOL::LOL::LOL:

T

Back