file type for printing

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone
I'm going to have this shot printed to about two times A4 size and I'm a bit confused about what is the best file type to print from.
I use 16 bit tiffs it does not make sense to convert it to an 8 bit jpeg surely there will be a drop in quality ?
Pete
IMG_8296e_filtered.jpg

You really need to check with who ever is going to do the printing for you. All the Photographic printers I know need the image to be in 8 bit, either jpeg or tiff.

provided you keep the compression low ( Photoshop 10-12) I don't think you'll have any difficulties. I've had prints produced up to A1 and have always supplied the images as jpeg's without any problems.

Again check with who ever is doing the printing for their recommendations

Is there an advantage in editing in 16 bit tiff files in CS2 if they will be converted to 8 bit files for printing anyway?
Pete

Is there an advantage in editing in 16 bit tiff files in CS2 if they will be converted to 8 bit files for printing anyway?
Pete

I would say yes. A 16 bit image has a larger range, and any changes made to the image are much smoother particularly with regards to density, and to some extent colour. It's possible some changes can produce banding in an 8 bit image, but a 16 bit one will not show these.

If you don't already it may be worth shooting RAW as this preserves the original file and RAW files are a lot smaller then 16 bit tiff files

Thanks for explaining that :), that makes sense
I do shoot Raw, have done for a while now
Pete

Back