File viewer for travel

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an old Lenovo Yoga 2 11 which I wanted to use for downloading, viewing and copying files to USB stick or ex.hardrive as backup of images during travelling.
The laptop is a great size to take with limited luggage space but unfortunately it has Windows 8 which does not support .orf raw files.
Olympus Workspace also requires Windows 10 but at over £100 for the upgrade it is not worth spending on an old laptop.

I would appreciate your comments as to the best solution for viewing and backing up raw images whilst travelling light.

It will still do two of your three requirements - copying from memory cards and copying to USB / external hard drives.

I'd consider a secondhand / refurbished Microsoft Surface Pro tablet - the Pro's run full windows. The new ones are expensive but older ones much more affordable.

Just stick Faststone Image Viewer on it for the RAW file viewing. (Though check that your .orf files are supported).

However. Windows 8 has been out of support for a long time and is not security patched, not something I would be happy using.
(I guess it's okay if never connected to the internet).

Last edited:
You should still be able to upgrade from W8 to W10 for free as long as your Yoga can support it.

Faststone supports orf files though iirc you need to download something for om1 files

Faststone 7.8 does support OM1 ORF files but for Windows 10 you have to have the Microsoft RAW Image Extension installed.
I've just done this and it works fine, albeit a bit slowly.
So I still love FastStone!

...use for downloading, viewing and copying files to USB stick or ex.hardrive as backup of images during travelling.
I use my original MacBook Air for that very purpose.

The built in "Preview" application is a adequate for almost all the picture editing I want to do and can even handle RAW files, depending on the age of the camera that created them. I also have a much later MacBook Pro which is only slightly larger than the Air (it actually lives in the Air's softbag these days).

MacBook Air with Sony HX90 Ixus 70 IMG_4373.JPG

Back