Files coming out corrupted (i think)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

So I've been having some problems when moving photos from my SD card to my pc. (Sandisk 8GB 20MB/s Extreme Video HD SDHC Card (Class 6) from a seller on amazon). I'm using a Canon 60d, and a cheap Integral sd usb reader.

What happens is, sometimes when I transfer images on to my pc, there are files with scrambled file names I can't open, like this: http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=g0m831gcp36xx4t35ibc.jpg

and then the occasional photo won't open, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to open it (which is frustrating as I lose photos that were seemingly taken ok) when I try to open one that doesn't work it looks like this: http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=nmdt9ipfpd1sdtx2t1ix.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this, or what I should do to fix this

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things you need to test out, it is either the card or the reader.

You need to try a different card in the reader and the card in a different reader.

Hiya Andy - I feel your pain. A good idea is when you're transfering files from your camera to your computor is to use the USB transfer cable that should have come with your camera. Once the files have been transfered from the camera don't just delete them from the SD card, format the card on the camera, this way you'll clean the card completely and also reduce the possibility of corupting the files when using a card reader - works for me;)

Last edited:
2 things you need to test out, it is either the card or the reader.

You need to try a different card in the reader and the card in a different reader.

Agreed, if you don't have another card or reader, connect your camera direct to PC (probably need to have your camera's software installed).

You could quickly test to see if the files transfer and read okay when you connect the camera directly via USB, leaving the SD card in the camera.

[edit: too slow!]

I had an integral SD reader which repeatedly corrupted files. I originally sourced it from amazon for about two quid.

If you are a mac user you could follow my guide in the tutorials section. This will test the card and reader for write an read errors but its quite a techy process.

Really, I would second the idea of spending a bit more on a new reader from a high street store, you should get something for a fiver or so.

Can you pull files from the camera and card via a USB cable connected directly to the camera?

Can't really help with your particular problem but if I may you say you used a (Sandisk 8GB 20MB/s Extreme Video HD SDHC Card (Class 6).

The 20mb/s worries me as it is about the slowest I have seen for data transfer and not possibly what you should actually be using. The recommended minimum speed is 45MB/s.
Slow transfer rate can cause a camera to wait to catch up with shots taken and more so with video work
I prefer to use a Sandisk 95mb/s 32 gig card although that may be a bit over the top for video work but thats what I use for my camcorder.

Take a look below, its class 10 with 45mb's wrte speed and not over expensive and in my poor opinion a far better memory card than you are using at the moment. I have a few of these as well.

One common mistake people make is to just check out the memory size and possibly the memory class, one of the most important bits of information overlooked is the write speed. Even I made that mistake years ago on continuous shooting with my previous Nikon camera. I wanted to do a whole series of shots one after the other and halfway though the shoot the camera stalled while it waited for the transfer to take place from camera to card. I soon leaned the lesson the hard way.

Scandisk also do provide a card memory recovery service with a code on a paper which comes with the card, so providing the card isn't formatted you should be able to recover any pictures on the card

Link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-32G...C98S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1355164614&sr=8-9

Last edited:
I was bought a Transcend sdhc class 10 16gb off ebay by the missus and had a very similar problem. :shake:

The card turned out to be faulty, I've no idea why, but the seller was contacted. He said that he had sold over 700 and had never seen a faulty one but he sent us a new one which has worked perfect :)

so all I can add is, it could be the card :shrug:

Phil-D

Just had a quick glance at transcend cards and couldn't find out anything about speed tranfer rates on them. I really had to do a fair bit of searching on retailers sites to get that information. I am not saying they are no good by far but I prefer to have the information on the actually card

Realspeed

Ok, I think it sounds like I should buy a couple of new cards, and reader - I need a couple of new cards anyway. I was just worried it might be my camera!!

Thanks guys, I'll let you know if I'm still having the problem after they're replaced!!

thanks again

Hi,

Just a little bump to see if anyone had any advice

thanks,

Andy

If it were up to me, I'd opt for the 16GB 45MB/s card over the 8GB 95MB/s card. I'm not sure you'll notice the difference in write speed in day to day use and more storage is probably preferable (esp. if you shoot RAW). Just my 2c.

I'm the other way - for two reasons.
If you need the storage, better to divide between cards rather than having all on the one.
The card will last many, many years of use, so even if the current body only marginally gains in emptying the buffer, future upgrades will likely be able to take advantage.
There's also the improved transfer time when moving the images onto the computer for PP/storage.

So, I'd always advocate speed over capacity, as the cost difference is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Back