Film , and 'Lens Diffraction' ???

Edit My Images
Yes
so, you know about lens diffraction and digital

is it the modern digital lens - or camera that causes this phenomenon ?

do you get it with film too ? or can you squeeeeeeze right down to F64 and get pin sharp images ?

Thanks

Rich

I always thought it was a function of light and lenses, rather than sensor technology - i.e. the smaller the hole the light passes through, the greater the effect. So diffraction effect at f22 is the same on 35mm or 10x8"

Only real difference being that the effect that the diffraction affects the final image is also a function of how much enlargement is needed to get to the final image size - so for aps digital it's more problematic than full frame or proper 35mm, and its less of a problem as you get up the scale of film sizes - so at 10x8" you could shoot all day at f64 and print at 20x16" and not see any effects whatsoever.

Thanks TBY

yes, agreed - ... I have just been reading up, and it is the sensor/film size that affects the ammount of sharpness. not the capturing format..

I just haddent heard about diffraction before I started reading 'digital' forums !

so, another reason to be glad I went FF on digital, and a good reason to try some MF format film shots ! :)

Thanks again

Rich

I always thought it was a function of light and lenses, rather than sensor technology - i.e. the smaller the hole the light passes through, the greater the effect. So diffraction effect at f22 is the same on 35mm or 10x8"

Only real difference being that the effect that the diffraction affects the final image is also a function of how much enlargement is needed to get to the final image size - so for aps digital it's more problematic than full frame or proper 35mm, and its less of a problem as you get up the scale of film sizes - so at 10x8" you could shoot all day at f64 and print at 20x16" and not see any effects whatsoever.
Difraction is caused by the lens optics, but how much you can get away with depends on the size of photosites (digital) or grain size (film)... Thats assuming you are looking at 1:1 on the screen or equivalent in film

This is all relative to how much the image is enlarged

Ah - thanks Richard, hadn't really considered the film grain issue - it makes sense though, yep. Then again, I can't see myself worrying about a bit of diffraction, if I'm using 1600iso film pushed a couple of stops for hailstone sized grain :LOL: I'm probably showing my bias to landscape and buildings here, but I tend to shoot on low ISO film with as fine a grain as I can anyway :)

Back