Film camera prices.

I'm seeing this. I work in a charity shop and regularly see old cameras. Mostly Olympus OMs, Pentax and Minolta. Rarely, we'll get a Canon or Nikon. Even over 12 months I've seen cameras I could sell for £150 now going for £100 or less. I think prices have definitely stabilised and for most things, are dropping a little.

You always find Minoltas. They are usually the later type though.

You always find Minoltas. They are usually the later type though.

I tried selling my Minolta X-500 and lens a little while back and got zero interest - even at £50 with a 50mm f/1.7 and a Minolta flash.

Not super-old but not modern either.

It was second hand when I bought it in around 1992 and I've just googled to see it was first made around 1982.

Looks exactly like this:

s-l1600.jpg

That pic is from an ebay auction at £129, but this other one I found is up for £249. If i could get that for it, I would consider it again.

Last edited:
I cycle through a small collection of 35mm cameras, none of which cost me more than £75. I have learned to live with minor faults as none of them are in perfect condition. Today I enjoyed shooting a roll through a Konica Autoreflex T2 which was purchased for £28 with a 57mm f1.2 lens (fungus included in the price). Might use a Praktica next - £25.

I cycle through a small collection of 35mm cameras, none of which cost me more than £75. I have learned to live with minor faults as none of them are in perfect condition. Today I enjoyed shooting a roll through a Konica Autoreflex T2 which was purchased for £28 with a 57mm f1.2 lens (fungus included in the price). Might use a Praktica next - £25.

I picked up a Praktica recently on ebay for £8.00, posted! A mint MTL3 too with a decent Pentacon lens. I quite like Prakticas. Not exactly stylish. I always think of them as minimalist with just the things you need.

I quite like Prakticas. Not exactly stylish. I always think of them as minimalist with just the things you need.
In my opinion, Prakticas started out well with a range that ended in the very nice IV and IVb models, went into a nose dive with the "Nova" series and then recovered very well indeed with the metal shuttered "L" series. That they then snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, in the form of the electric shuttered "B" series, is just one of those sad corporate errors of judgement that litter the world of camera manufacture.

Mind you, they sold a lot of cameras and lenses. I used them myself from time and my daughter approved of them as well ... ;)

Kirsten with Praktica Nova 1 1976_3_32.jpg

I found the camera this morning - it is a Pentax ME with 50mm f1.7 lens and a Tamron 28-70mm lens. It looks like the shutter speed knob is broken, but that could be me not knowing how to use it.

Shutter speed? You sure you don't mean auto, lock etc? They can be dicky. Mainly because the little white button is difficult to press and turn the dial at the same time.

Shutter speed? You sure you don't mean auto, lock etc? They can be dicky. Mainly because the little white button is difficult to press and turn the dial at the same time.
It sounds like that, I think it is auto/bulb. I didn’t notice a white button, but know what to look for now. Thanks.

Mine seems to be missing the white button - I've had a look at a few images online and know what I should be looking for now. It is set to "Auto" so probably still usable.

I recently picked up (including auctioneer fees):

FED3 with Industar N-61 F/2,8 52mm and a Zenit E with the Helios 44-2 both working for £25
Zeiss Ikon Contax II with a folding CZJ Sonnar F/2 50mm - this one needs a CLA for £70
Ihagee Kine Exacta 1936 model with CZJ Tessar F/2.8 50mm - works but the lens needs a CLA so I'll just get the whole camera done. Paid £50 and got a bunch of other stuff with it.

It's always a chance if you cannot go the auction that you'll get duds. People like Flints generally only handle good stuff so the risk is less but the prices higher.
20231104_152915.jpg
20231104_152606.jpg

20231104_151406.jpg
20231104_151730.jpg

Some cameras become hyped up one way or another, mju 2, K1000, T2 etc but there are still some bargains to be had. I recently bought a black Minox LX from a good dealer for £50, second tier brand (Vivitar, Polaroid, etc) zoom compacts can be had any day for less than £20 and most are good quality. If you want a manual SLR Cossinas and Vivitar branded ones can be found sub £50 and even sub £20. I even bought a working Trip 35 with warranty from a dealer for £39. He knew he could ask more but just didn't feel right doing so. I have a £3 camera challenge video showing one of those zoom compacts here:-
View: https://youtu.be/iAq0g592Q9I?si=bI7OBldIX4gKrlb2

Mine seems to be missing the white button - I've had a look at a few images online and know what I should be looking for now. It is set to "Auto" so probably still usable.

I should think so. The meter is actuated when the crank is pulled out from the body. So it ought to be okay.

Go go go! lol

That's embarrassing. I picked up one of those at a flea market recently. I didn't buy it though.

Whilst our Christmas shopping yesterda I nosed around a few camera shops. What a shock at the prices of film camera, Zenith were going for £150 ish and a good Bronny was the price of a used digital dslr.
Last time I looked they were cheap as chips. Might be worth me digging all my film cameras out of the safe and dusting them off. I'm sitting on a fortune.. ;)
Ridiculous prices !

I tried selling my Minolta X-500 and lens a little while back and got zero interest - even at £50 with a 50mm f/1.7 and a Minolta flash.

Not super-old but not modern either.

It was second hand when I bought it in around 1992 and I've just googled to see it was first made around 1982.

Looks exactly like this:

s-l1600.jpg

That pic is from an ebay auction at £129, but this other one I found is up for £249. If i could get that for it, I would consider it again.
I sold my Minoltas for, what is now, a derisory price. There were nowt wrong wi' 'em but I wanted to try some other makes of cameras which I coveted when I were but a lad. In fact, more then nowt wrong, they were fabulous, much better than the Yashicas I had previously used, and, optically at least, as good as any other camera..

I sold my Minoltas for, what is now, a derisory price. There were nowt wrong wi' 'em but I wanted to try some other makes of cameras which I coveted when I were but a lad. In fact, more then nowt wrong, they were fabulous, much better than the Yashicas I had previously used, and, optically at least, as good as any other camera..

I think Minoltas, particularly the later ones, fell out of favour. Maybe they were trying to hard, or being a bit too radical, I don't know. Aesthetically they suffered from some wacky design and a plastic appearance. Not a good combination.

As I understand the Mju ii Zoom isnt the one thats hyped up but seems people are still buying it

I think someone must have got the decimal point in the wrong place. :p
In 1967, the basic Zenith 3M with a f3.5 Industar was 19 guineas, which was what I paid for my first serious camera, a second hand Pentacon FM, in the same year...

Zenith 3M advert in SLR Magazine 1967 Ixux 70 IMG_4426.JPG

Back