Film Challenge 38 - 'SUBURBIA' - Discussion Thread.

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Here you go folks have a chat about it here. I wanted a theme that would be accessible to almost everyone [apologies to anyone living in the Outer Hebrides], could be interpreted in many ways, and wasn't too similar to anything that had gone before on these monthly challenges.

Feel free to have a moan at me, I won't pay any attention :LOL:

Great theme, Yv! Now I've got to think of a photo that won't be a simple view of the street from my front door :)

Great theme, Yv! Now I've got to think of a photo that won't be a simple view of the street from my front door :)

If it's any consolation, I have absolutely no idea what to shoot for it yet apart from some vague thoughts, but will try and avoid the view up my street :LOL:

H'mmm Boot sale in a massive field, but I'd need a helicopter to look down to get a decent looking shot :D

Go on Brian, hang the expense!

Reactions: Jao
:eek:..but an idea for that lot over the other side using a remote control helicopter with a 0.3mp o_O camera. ;)

:D Good challenge Yvonne as ideally it should be a shot that you can't see in a city.

Why Brian?

Well Ok maybe I'm seeing it from a London area POV as I see no point showing shots of boats on a canal, horse riders, small stately homes, housing estates and so on when you can see the same very near the centre of London...The other way round, London would be say Tower bridge which you wouldn't see in Suburbia......now you wouldn't see a boot sale in a massive field in London ;) and there are some lovely golf courses and villages so I'll probably take some more shots of those if I can't think of anything else.

Well Ok maybe I'm seeing it from a London area POV as I see no point showing shots of boats on a canal, horse riders, small stately homes, housing estates and so on when you can see the same very near the centre of London...The other way round, London would be say Tower bridge which you wouldn't see in Suburbia......now you wouldn't see a boot sale in a massive field in London ;) and there are some lovely golf courses and villages so I'll probably take some more shots of those if I can't think of anything else.

thats exactly my thinking, what IS suburbia, what is modern suburbia and how do you capture it? I now have a few ideas that to me, represent modern London Suburban areas [I live in one of them :LOL: ] so just need to order some more film. I am resisting the urge to click buy on my beloved portra for a day or two, thinking I might use this one to try out something different.

This assumes that as challenge setter, I am allowed to enter? I assumed I would be given is a vote anyway.

Given Asha won it about 4 months in a row I think entering is acceptable :)

I live in a 30's council estate and work near 90's suburbia and I'm at a complete loss how to adequately represent either!!

sub•ur•bi•a
(səˈbɜr bi ə)

n.
1. suburbs or suburbanites collectively.
2. the social or cultural aspects of life in suburbs.

Reactions: Jao
3. Nth circle of hell!!

:LOL: got to agree having lived in a very similar type of suburbia in the past. These days where I live is all coffee shop high streets, farmers market sundays and Albanians washing the cars.

Howeve,r if I have given everyone a challenge to make them think, is that a bad thing?

sorry - it means going too near a town... I'll get a nosebleed from the stress. Too many people.

Depends on the city I suppose e.g. York you could get shots say of fox hunting which would be suburbia to them.

not to my mind, it's a village 5 miles from a town - not what I think of at all as the suburbs - that implies a boring little dormitory area near somewhere horrible and urban that nobody wants to live in... like leeds, birmingham or london.

... just need to order some more film. I am resisting the urge to click buy on my beloved portra for a day or two, thinking I might use this one to try out something different.

This assumes that as challenge setter, I am allowed to enter? I assumed I would be given is a vote anyway.

Yes, you can definitely enter, but of course if you win too many months in a row Roberts might start putting whisky in your soup!

Is this a month to try out Poundland Vista 200 then?

Well, I must say, my first attempts at Suburbia are DULL! (That may apply to all my photography, but for this subject so far, in spades.) :(

h'mm there might be a case for surreptitious cheating as my idea of suburbia would be shots that I've taken over the last five years and it seems a bit daft to take the same shots again to comply with the rules...I'm stuck on this challenge as where does suburbia end from the countryside and where does it begin from a city esp London which is a big sprawl.

Last edited:
h'mm there might be a case for surreptitious cheating as my idea of suburbia would be shots that I've taken over the last five years and it seems a bit daft to take the same shots again to comply with the rules...I'm stuck on this challenge as where does suburbia end from the countryside and where does it begin from a city esp London.

You are possibly over thinking it Brian, surely the idea is YOUR interpretation, not anyone else's, what do you think suburbia means, where does it start and finish, etc? How are you going to represent that in a photograph? If you are talking about London, there is an argument to say [in my stomping ground for example] it starts at Camden, or it starts at Finchley, if heading north, depends on how you view suburban life. On Saturday I took photos starting at Cockfosters and ending at the bottom end of Highgate, all of which represent what I think of as suburbia, but it will be up to the voting to decide if others think the same about whatever photo I chose to use ;)

I have very definite ideas as to what suburbia is (hell). Maybe because Edinburgh is little villages connected by 50's suburban expansion and back filled with 80's-90's hell estates but is quite obvious what is suburbia and what is urban even though they may be in a 200m radius.

Reactions: Yv
You are possibly over thinking it Brian, surely the idea is YOUR interpretation, not anyone else's, what do you think suburbia means, where does it start and finish, etc? How are you going to represent that in a photograph? If you are talking about London, there is an argument to say [in my stomping ground for example] it starts at Camden, or it starts at Finchley, if heading north, depends on how you view suburban life. On Saturday I took photos starting at Cockfosters and ending at the bottom end of Highgate, all of which represent what I think of as suburbia, but it will be up to the voting to decide if others think the same about whatever photo I chose to use ;)

Well yes, you can't tell what the voters think...but IMO the shot should be of what\something you can't see in the centre of city and also can't see in the countryside...so it can't be a shot of people outside\inside pubs etc but has to be a place or activity special to suburbia.
Anyway I'll have to retake the shots I've already taken of my idea :( and think the sprawl of London (or any large city) guys have more of a problem.

Last edited:
crap, films back, liking several... how to choose... :thinking:

Well post one up and it might give me an idea on what to shoot....still stuck for an inspiration as London is about 20 miles radius from Piccadilly circus (well west) and I live just outside it . :eek:

Last edited:
Well post one up and it might give me an idea on what to shoot....still stuck for an inspiration as London is about 20 miles radius from Piccadilly circus (well west) and I live just outside it . :eek:

will have to be tomorrow night, my eyes are dropping and not finished scanning yet.

My entry is drying right now.

This would be a good subject for a series of images.

Totally agree, as I was shooting stuff for this, found myself thinking 'I would love to wait here until xyz happens, if it happens' quite a lot,if that makes sense. As an example, just on my own road, the sun was out when I set off, the roadside trees are in blossom, and, often on a weekend, the guy across the road still hand washes his car. It would have made the perfect foil to another photo I did get, of a local hand carwash, the type that seem to be everywhere these days.

@Yv re your comment on your entry in the other thread I wouldn't worry too much yet about the lack of entries, there's over a week to go and that's a lifetime in fusty & crusty land.

Last edited:
I have an idea, but it has to be colour, and I only get colour rolls processed every few months. I might have to break out the Fuji Instax for it.

I'm struggling a bit with this.... I do have a few that might be ok but I need to ponder them for a while.

Back