Film Dev and storage question

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to order some more film dev and I'm after some advice to stop me wasting so much chemicals. I've used Ilfosol3 which seemed to go off quickly and didn't last that long once open and DD-X which I preferred the results of to Ilfosol3 but I'm not sure how it lasts once open in comparison to Ilfosol3.

The shelf life seems to fall off rapidly once a bottle has been opened so I'm wondering would something else keep better if I was to make a stock solution up from powders (which I haven't done before because of the faff factor) and then store it in several smaller airtight bottles?

Is Rodinal up your street? Cause Firstcall have started selling it in one-way valve squeezy bag things and at very decent prices, even when you add the crazy high postage. They sell fixer in the same form and they should theoretically last loads longer then bottled dev.
Awesome idea if you ask me and a wonder nobody has thought of it before...

Well I have som e Rodinal in the fridge since 2009 and it is still ok to use.

I do keep power dev for a while but then make and use within 6 mths.

I was thinking of getting a 1L box of ID11 and splitting it into 250ml bottles for storage but those pouches of Rodinal may have just changed that plan. It's a genius idea, I just need to find out more about rodianl and how it works with the films I favour.

Surely Rodinal is the last developer that would need storing in a special pouch. I swear the stuff is simply unable to go bad!

Back