Film Developing in the UK

They're in Sheffield on the Holbrook Industrial estate according to their FB page :)

Near enough, it's all Yorkshire and its only a small county. :D

CC Image is in Leeds, They are quite good too but last time i tested them my negatives were full of marks and streaks!

Peak is in Sheffield!
I have entire 35mm Minilab setup at home i think its only matter of time when my 120 scanner arrives ;)

CC Image is in Leeds, They are quite good too but last time i tested them my negatives were full of marks and streaks!

Peak is in Sheffield!
I have entire 35mm Minilab setup at home i think its only matter of time when my 120 scanner arrives ;)
Did you speak to them about the streaks and marks? I've used them in the past and they were fine but I prefer peaks service.

Still waiting for my Ilford film to be processed. They have had it in the lab since last Wednesday. Very slow compared to Filmdev.

Where did you send it?

Ilford's own lab in Cheshire. They do proper dip and dunk for black and white so I tend to send ilford black and white films there. Included postage there with a freepost label so it's very easy but a bit slower than some of the others. They don't charge extra for black and white either so for odd rolls it can be cheaper than quite a few other places. Quality is good too.

Ilford's own lab in Cheshire. They do proper dip and dunk for black and white so I tend to send ilford black and white films there. Included postage there with a freepost label so it's very easy but a bit slower than some of the others. They don't charge extra for black and white either so for odd rolls it can be cheaper than quite a few other places. Quality is good too.

aha perhaps they could be busy as alot of b&W shooters look for dip n dunk stuff. C41s is also based in cheshire have you tried them?

aha perhaps they could be busy as alot of b&W shooters look for dip n dunk stuff. C41s is also based in cheshire have you tried them?

No I haven't. I use Filmdev for C41. They seem to be the holy trinity of good, quick and reasonably priced.

Just noticed on the pdf order thingy that Ilford seem to have got my order down as scan to CD not the download I thought I had ticked. I couldn't use the online ordering as I wanted a bespoke scanning option.

Clearly breaking the mirror in the yashica ages ago is now coming to bite me.

Last edited:
The Ilford scan to CD service is definitely a very nice end product. Proper CD with Ilford branding and they include blank order form, freepost baggie and labels to stick onto films.

On the down side I have checked a used 35mm spool in the Royal Mail size guide and it does not fit at all even with no envelope. It has to be able to drop straight through without pushing and it doesn't. Annoyingly neither does a 120 spool unless you have it slightly sideways. The PO people often just push it half way through so think it's ok and it isn't as the spools just get pushed to the bottom of the envelope.

I think as many of us as possible should email RM and ask for a special light size ie under 100g and no more than A5 which is allowed to be a few mm fatter for that 96p or similar cost. £3 a pop is just daft money for something that is so light but just such a tiny amount over the 25mm.

Had two films put on one CD for a fiver at Adsa (now Photo-me) today and the girl said "if the m\c breaks down it's going" :eek: Also get out your Agfa Vista folks as with the sun low this time of the year it seems to work with it esp in woods...anyway I was pleased with most of my shots like this:-

I want to send some 35mm negs off to be scanned well.

I'm happy to pay <£5 per neg, but don't really want to pay ~£10 a lot of places charge.

Anyone have any recommendations? It's black and white film (if that makes a difference).

Perhaps I should just print in the darkroom and scan the prints on a flatbed.

I'm happy to pay <£5 per neg, but don't really want to pay ~£10 a lot of places charge.

Anyone have any recommendations? It's black and white film (if that makes a difference).

Well I can only add that I've had some VG results from scanning prints on a flatbed.... colour or B\W

Perhaps @robhooley167 or @PMN might be interested?

I have used Photo Express in Hull who charged £5 to scan previously processed C41 or E6 films, already cut into strips. I was pleased with the results. Likewise UKFL did the same job for £10 IIRC... but eventually wanted to charge me a fiver or so to return the film, which I declined. Maybe Filmdev might do it?

There are companies with names like Treasured Images which do this sort of job but I suspect it's not up to the quality you're probably looking for.

EDIT: I should have asked first what sort of numbers and resolution you have in mind?

Hi, that's my first post, even if I've been reading this thread for a long time. I want to add my experience, I had three rolls of ektar and portra 400 that I took to my local boots (they still develop in their own in-store lab) in Leamington Spa. But being aware that they don't process lots of films I asked to hold mine until the next chemical change just to try to get the best of the film. The people working there are really nice, they warned me about how long can it take (at the end just a week, not that bad at all) and it's been worth the wait. I've never had any issue there, no scratches or processing errors, 7,50£ really good deal.
My next try might be ag-photolab as they're close and you all had really good experiences.

Thanks for sharing your experience Marc and welcome to the fusty and crusty section. :)

Andy

Welcome @MarcHT :) I've used AG-Photolab for a long time now, only recenyl swapping to FilmDev to try something new, and found them to be much quicker in turnaround! If you are able to visit them in person though, maybe they are a better option for you? Their prices are certainly very reasonable, and the quality of dev + scan is good.

I've been using AG Photolab for over a year now and have found their turn-around time for their C41 develop only service to be very good (I usually scan my own negs to save money, unless I think I've got something good on the roll, in which case I shell out for a Noritsu 80mb scan!) . Quite often in recent months I've sent a film off on a Monday and had the negs back on Wednesday/Thursday, even during the run-up to Christmas. I don't think I can expect much better than that from a postal service. I've got a 35mm roll in for a dev & hi-res scan at the moment, so it will be interesting to see if it takes any longer. Welcome to the forum too, Marc.

Last edited:
Had two films put on one CD for a fiver at Adsa (now Photo-me) today and the girl said "if the m\c breaks down it's going" :eek: Also get out your Agfa Vista folks as with the sun low this time of the year it seems to work with it esp in woods...anyway I was pleased with most of my shots like this:-

Wow, thats gorgeous

I normally develop my c41 at home, otherday i was in rush and stopped by Max Spiellmann huddersfield, they used to be very good but sadly they screwed 7 out of 7 rolls i had left for developing!!!! Watch out!

I normally develop my c41 at home, otherday i was in rush and stopped by Max Spiellmann huddersfield, they used to be very good but sadly they screwed 7 out of 7 rolls i had left for developing!!!! Watch out!

If you have your film done at Tesco, they send the film off to Max....well they did when they stopped doing film in house.

Just a heads up for @excalibur2 and others in the West London area, the newish Asda in Hounslow still has its film processing machine, the Photo-me desk is not stafffed Wednesday Thursday or Sunday but open 9-6 I think on other days.

As far as I know it's still £2 for process only or £4 for process and scan, don't know how long it will remain but hopefully it'll keep going for a while yet.

Just a heads up for @excalibur2 and others in the West London area, the newish Asda in Hounslow still has its film processing machine, the Photo-me desk is not stafffed Wednesday Thursday or Sunday but open 9-6 I think on other days.

As far as I know it's still £2 for process only or £4 for process and scan, don't know how long it will remain but hopefully it'll keep going for a while yet.

Thanks..My one at Slough has put dev up to £2.50 but scanned to CD still a £1 (up to four rolls).......last week had two films dev and scanned, one 24 exp and one 36 exp and put on one CD, total cost £6.

Forgot to mention:- I asked what is the costs for scanning old negs to CD and she said she would do four films onto one CD for £11 providing they are strips....anyone interested remember crap in crap out so you would have to clean the negs first before taking them to the store as digital ice can't remove everything.

Last edited:
Hi Steven, I'm in Glasgow too and my local Kodak shop, at The Avenue in Newton Mearns, will process and scan to CD a roll of Ilford XP2 in their C41 developer for £7.99. Obviously they do colour too.

We have just sent off a roll of Jan's shots to Film Dev..... Extremely impressed. Sent at 17.30 yesterday and the scans were ready for download 24 hours later, so well done to the Post Office as well.

We had the medium scans which are ample at 5 to 6 mb and requested no sharpening, again very impressed, lovely clean scans with excellent colours. All round a top service that I shall be using again.

It has highlighted that one of the weak links in my photography (as well as my photography itself :)) is either my developing or my scanning so I shall be scanning in the negatives when they arrive as a comparison.

I can't fault filmdev. Shot so much more film because I don't have to wrestle with Vuescan :) hopefully by tomorrow I'll have 2 rolls of 120 to wang off to them.

We have just sent off a roll of Jan's shots to Film Dev..... Extremely impressed. Sent at 17.30 yesterday and the scans were ready for download 24 hours later, so well done to the Post Office as well.

We had the medium scans which are ample at 5 to 6 mb and requested no sharpening, again very impressed, lovely clean scans with excellent colours. All round a top service that I shall be using again.

It has highlighted that one of the weak links in my photography (as well as my photography itself :)) is either my developing or my scanning so I shall be scanning in the negatives when they arrive as a comparison.

Another vote for Filmdev, excellent service. I have pretty much stopped colour scanning at home now I am using this lab

Hi, new here so please be gentle. I found this thread after googling for recommended film processing in the UK. There seems to be a lot of love for FilmDev but it's not clear to me from their website/order form if they can also provide prints? I'd be sending them B&W (not C-41) for developing/scans but would prefer prints as well, nothing fancy just 6x4s. If they don't, where is my next best bet? Thanks in advance.

Hi, new here so please be gentle. I found this thread after googling for recommended film processing in the UK. There seems to be a lot of love for FilmDev but it's not clear to me from their website/order form if they can also provide prints? I'd be sending them B&W (not C-41) for developing/scans but would prefer prints as well, nothing fancy just 6x4s. If they don't, where is my next best bet? Thanks in advance.
Hi Steven,

Firstly welcome to the best bit of the forum. AFAIK Filmdev don't do prints but you could always just take your files to any of the local SnappySnaps, Tesco or Asda with a photo section and get them printed.
If you really want to have a dev and print service you could use Ilford or The Darkroom UK but it's a pricey way to get prints, unless you're very good and get 36 decent shots out of a roll what a lot of folk do is look at the scans and then get the good shots printed.

Lots of info in the 'resource' sticky near the top of the page.

For black and white I'd probably say Ilford. They do prints. They have a freepost address as well so that saves you a fortune on postage. Otherwise there is Peak Imaging as well. You can order online with Ilford and they have a freepost address so it is quite convenient. They are a bit slow sometimes though.

AG Photolab are usually well priced, see here for process and print black and white. Have had turnround problems in the past but I believe their systems have improved recently.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'd totally forgotten I could get the scans printed locally! Doh! I think with all the positives that Filmdev get on here that I'll give them a try first, and maybe try some of the others later on.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I'd totally forgotten I could get the scans printed locally! Doh! I think with all the positives that Filmdev get on here that I'll give them a try first, and maybe try some of the others later on.

I have been really happy with DS Colour Labs for printing my film photographs. You just upload the film scans from your home computer and they usually come through the door the next day.

I have been really happy with DS Colour Labs for printing my film photographs. You just upload the film scans from your home computer and they usually come through the door the next day.

Thanks. Their prices certainly look good. I'd been using Peak-Imaging for the occasional print from digital that I'd decided warranted a "hard-copy", I've been happy enough with them but they are more expensive than DS Colour Labs.

Thanks. Their prices certainly look good. I'd been using Peak-Imaging for the occasional print from digital that I'd decided warranted a "hard-copy", I've been happy enough with them but they are more expensive than DS Colour Labs.

Well, I've been very pleased with DS Colour Labs with the hundreds of prints I've ordered from them over the past year. All of my scans have been edited on colour calibrated monitors with DS Colour Labs colour profile embedded before uploading though, so I suppose results could vary if you prepare them a different way. If you go the route of FilmDev, hopefully they edit their scans using colour calibrated monitors.

:agree: ive used DSC a lot and they are very good, cheap and fast and the quality is excellent.

On the down side I have checked a used 35mm spool in the Royal Mail size guide and it does not fit at all even with no envelope. It has to be able to drop straight through without pushing and it doesn't. Annoyingly neither does a 120 spool unless you have it slightly sideways. The PO people often just push it half way through so think it's ok and it isn't as the spools just get pushed to the bottom of the envelope.

I think as many of us as possible should email RM and ask for a special light size ie under 100g and no more than A5 which is allowed to be a few mm fatter for that 96p or similar cost. £3 a pop is just daft money for something that is so light but just such a tiny amount over the 25mm.

Just discovered that my Poundland Agfa will need to be posted to Filmdev as a small parcel, so I fully agree with your comments. As the films are for testing cameras that haven't been used for a long while, I guess I should shoot all 5 of them before posting as it'll be the same postal cost as one. :film:but not the postal costs!

Back