Film Developing in the UK

Does anyone know what the current prices are at Asda (Photo-Me) for dev and scan, no prints? I just popped into the local shop to get a film done, but the photo bit had closed for the day. Last time I got stuff done, it was 3 quid, but I didn't see any developing prices today (although there was a Fuji Frontier machine).

Does anyone know what the current prices are at Asda (Photo-Me) for dev and scan, no prints? I just popped into the local shop to get a film done, but the photo bit had closed for the day. Last time I got stuff done, it was 3 quid, but I didn't see any developing prices today (although there was a Fuji Frontier machine).

£3.50 for dev and CD at my one.

Stupid question: how do various labs return processed 120 film?

In a roll or do they cut and sleeve it?
Most labs will cut and sleeve in standard Kenro style sleeves.
Almost all will cut and sleeve it. If you wanted something different though, it is often possible to request otherwise.

Cut and sleeved is pretty much the norm, however I had a roll of 120 positive film developed locally ( France) several years ago and the negs were returned as a roll in a screw top yellow canister.

The very occasional times that I've had other films devd out here, they've always returned the negs in sleeves as they always did in the UK when I lived there.

popped 3 rolls of to filmdev, 2x 35mm and one 120mm :D i haven't had the payment email yet but i am like a kid "are we there yet":p hopefully i will get one or two shots i like.

Poor sod is probably ploughing through lots of pics of oxford and the same few odd people :)
just for variation-mine will be crap :(but not from oxford:p. they arrived but no payment asked for yet, i guess maybe there is a backlog as last lot i sent the payment email was same day.

well just had a phone call looks like my 120 was blank-bugger thats a roll of porta wasted. i guess i must of cocked up on loading. its been a while since i loaded 120 and its my 1st medium format with a removable back. o well live and -hopefully learn!

well just had a phone call looks like my 120 was blank-bugger thats a roll of porta wasted. i guess i must of cocked up on loading. its been a while since i loaded 120 and its my 1st medium format with a removable back. o well live and -hopefully learn!

Does the removable back have some dark slide gubbins?

or alternatively, did you load the film with the backing paper facing the lens? With the backs for the RZ67, the "obvious" way to load the film gets it the wrong way round.

or alternatively, did you load the film with the backing paper facing the lens? With the backs for the RZ67, the "obvious" way to load the film gets it the wrong way round.

I always have to think really hard about the correct way to load my SQ-A too. Lots of looking at the pressure plate and saying "Light comes in here, goes on film" to myself...

yep. i did remove this as i kept dropping it!

now that's a point, i cant be 100% sure as it was a while ago i loaded and finished the roll, i cant check the film back at the moment as i am in the process of moving and have put it in storage,
filmdev reported it was totally blank bar the Kodak markings-would there of been any light leak at all if i had done this? i will get the negs back soon so is there anything to spot that would be a give away?

I always have to think really hard about the correct way to load my SQ-A too. Lots of looking at the pressure plate and saying "Light comes in here, goes on film" to myself...
i will remember this next time!

Well after my initial concerns with AG-photographic I am now very happy with them. My pictures arrived back today.
Very quick when they get going [emoji3]

yep. i did remove this as i kept dropping it!

now that's a point, i cant be 100% sure as it was a while ago i loaded and finished the roll, i cant check the film back at the moment as i am in the process of moving and have put it in storage,
filmdev reported it was totally blank bar the Kodak markings-would there of been any light leak at all if i had done this? i will get the negs back soon so is there anything to spot that would be a give away?

i will remember this next time!

If you do load it the wrong way out, when you finish the roll and come to stick the end down, you should notice that something seems odd, even if you don't know what. I've done it; on the other hand, when I popped along to have the film processed (the was a high street film processor in those days for roll film) the assistant spotted the problem immediately, and offered me the darkroom to re-spool the film so it wasn't wasted.

So, remembering that, I'd expect you to have been informed of a problem before anything happened to the film. Back to the drawing board....

If you do load it the wrong way out, when you finish the roll and come to stick the end down, you should notice that something seems odd, even if you don't know what. I've done it; on the other hand, when I popped along to have the film processed (the was a high street film processor in those days for roll film) the assistant spotted the problem immediately, and offered me the darkroom to re-spool the film so it wasn't wasted.

So, remembering that, I'd expect you to have been informed of a problem before anything happened to the film. Back to the drawing board....
thank you, no it seemed normal. its got me a bit stumped really as i cant really see how i could of wound the film on but not taken any pictures. o well when i get it back out of storage will run another film and see what happens

the more i think about this, the more i suspect when i get to see the camera again i will find out that the mirror lock up might be the problem (as in this numty forgot to check before using), i haven't changed to setting since that i remember. not opening the shutter would do it:(:D

Cheers - will pop down to mine tomorrow.

Turns out mine isn't doing developing any more. The machine would appear to be an ex-Fuji Frontier that has ceased to be. However, the guy said that Photo-Me are doing a trial in 10 stores, using a new processing machine. Apparently, if that goes well, they might be rolling them out to other stores. So, it's a case of wait and see for the cheap and easy option for 35mm happy snaps.

In the meantime, I'm considering my options for 35mm (and 120) C41. There's the nearby pro lab with decent scans at much higher cost, or do it myself, but I don't really like scanning roll films - handling, curling and lack of flatness bug me, and they take ages (sheet film is much easier to scan).

Post has gone up again... but thankfully the small packet rate has only gone up by 5p to £3.40!!! Annoyingly, I've just run out of large letter stamps; dunno how much they've gone up, but of course buy ahead and save with them. I'll not update the estimator for those prices until something else happens...

Poor sod at filmdev is getting 7 rolls off me tomorrow. Annoyed postage has gone up again as well so I will be doing more batches rather than being impatient and sending them off willy nilly.

Rung my local asda friday to check they still did film before i went there - hard for me to get there before the desk closes on a week day so was taking advantage of my day off. yes he said and confirmed a one hour too. Got to desk, and woman told me no we cant do it machine has been broken for 2 months :mad: - they dont know if it will be fixed and/or replaced when they are taken over. I thought they had already been taken over.......... Looks like i will be trying FilmDev - i know one of the film has got a lot of failures and in general its not wroth paying a lot for, so bit miffed about asda. She said she doesnt know who i spoke to, but i def asked to be put thru to photo desk! I could have got one of the films done months ago when machine was working but only just finished the 2nd one..

Rung my local asda friday to check they still did film before i went there - hard for me to get there before the desk closes on a week day so was taking advantage of my day off. yes he said and confirmed a one hour too. Got to desk, and woman told me no we cant do it machine has been broken for 2 months :mad: - they dont know if it will be fixed and/or replaced when they are taken over. I thought they had already been taken over.......... Looks like i will be trying FilmDev - i know one of the film has got a lot of failures and in general its not wroth paying a lot for, so bit miffed about asda. She said she doesnt know who i spoke to, but i def asked to be put thru to photo desk! I could have got one of the films done months ago when machine was working but only just finished the 2nd one..

I've been using FilmDev for the last 6 months and have had great service from them. Due to me building a lot of my cameras I've also had a lot of failures on development and to be fair to FilmDev they've always just charged me a basic development cost even though they've still scanned my film and shared whatever images they could get off them. I generally write on the order form if it's a test roll/diy camera so they know what to expect!

Seems you didn't get through to the Photo-me girls. :( the Asda operator probably doesn't know that the photo dept is not on an extention line anymore but Photo-me have their own phone No...well mine one has.

Seems you didn't get through to the Photo-me girls. :( the Asda operator probably doesn't know that the photo dept is not on an extention line anymore but Photo-me have their own phone No...well mine one has.

there were some options on the phone and i chose the photo desk option - they should change the options if it's wrong :-( when i went in she said did you speak to Photo me or Asda but she didnt which one would have got thru to her or was the right choice. There is another asda but its 25min drive away and i dont even know if they do film, and i dont want to drive there anyway. kind of annoying.

I've been using FilmDev for the last 6 months and have had great service from them. Due to me building a lot of my cameras I've also had a lot of failures on development and to be fair to FilmDev they've always just charged me a basic development cost even though they've still scanned my film and shared whatever images they could get off them. I generally write on the order form if it's a test roll/diy camera so they know what to expect!

thanks that's good to know. There are some photos from Iceland but the battery was going and i didn't realise so there's prob about 5-8 photos of nothing where the shutter was firing and i didnt expect it to so would be wasted. I was thinking of writing on there "i know there are some mess ups on here" or something along those lines - as it's not really a test roll, just an inexperienced person roll :) but thank you thats useful. I will have to send them tomorrow as i have to go to post office anyway, kind of annoying that you have to pay £3 to send them... (to film dev or anyone else)

there were some options on the phone and i chose the photo desk option - they should change the options if it's wrong :-( when i went in she said did you speak to Photo me or Asda but she didnt which one would have got thru to her or was the right choice. There is another asda but its 25min drive away and i dont even know if they do film, and i dont want to drive there anyway. kind of annoying.

You could try "Photo-me" for your area for a phone number..although when I checked my one they had the wrong old Asda one. :(

Still using Canadian Film Lab here. Still great service. Have 18 rolls from Iceland to send away and just about to send 7 from a shoot I did last week. :)

They have a branch in the UK?

They are formerly UK Film Lab and have a postal address in the UK. You post to them and they forward on via courier every Thursday. After building a relationship with them when UK based, I continue to use them as the prices have stayed exactly the same, including postage. :)

They are formerly UK Film Lab and have a postal address in the UK. You post to them and they forward on via courier every Thursday. After building a relationship with them when UK based, I continue to use them as the prices have stayed exactly the same, including postage. :)

Didn't realise that, thanks! (y)

Blimey. Mr FilmDev has done them all. Just waiting for a download link. Neopan left in the leica was blank sadly.

Blimey. Mr FilmDev has done them all. Just waiting for a download link. Neopan left in the leica was blank sadly.

I sent 3 rolls of yesterday at 5.15, second class so 76p, and I've just had the call from Dave at filmDev to say they are done. Stunningly good service from the PO and FD. (y):clap::clap::clap:

I sent 3 rolls of yesterday at 5.15, second class so 76p, and I've just had the call from Dave at filmDev to say they are done. Stunningly good service from the PO and FD. (y):clap::clap::clap:

Jammy Git! When I send any films via small parcel they get lost by RM :(

And I sent 4 films yesterday also, downloading now! This is the boring bit. They're almost here... but take ages (I get TIFFs as well as JPEGs, which triples the download size, I reckon). Of course, once I open them and have a look, my house of glorious cards will come crashing down... :popcorn::dummy::D

I'm just about to drop dome film over to Peak, never used them for film dev before, but as I now live in Sheffield I might as well try them. The scans seem a bit pricy for 120 though.

I'm just about to drop dome film over to Peak, never used them for film dev before, but as I now live in Sheffield I might as well try them. The scans seem a bit pricy for 120 though.

Yes, their process-only is reasonably priced, but once you add scans they are up there amongst the most expensive. Good quality though, and of course you will save the return postage charge...

EDIT: and fast turnround, too.

I just use Peak for process only so can't comment on the prices for scans, but the turnaround on that is very fast - if I drop the film off first thing in the morning, the negs are usually ready for collection at lunchtime. I'm very happy with the service.

Their scanning (particularly at higher resolutions) is a little expensive, but it's very good. Had nothing but superb service from them over the last couple of years. Free postage to them with their prepaid boxes. Never once needed to contact them or had an issue with slow turnaround or poor customer service, unlike a lot of others (cough AG cough).

...worrying, I sent 3 rolls off on Monday and have heard nothing.....

That is a bit worrying. They were a bit slow with my 4 films; I didn't get the phone call until around 5 pm the day after posting :banana:;). Possibly a bit late now but I'd give them a ring anyway.

If you sent your films large letter rather than small packet, you may have got caught by the size-measuring jobsworth. The net effect will be to delay the packet by several days and slap an extra £3 charge on it, which Filmdev will pay and recharge to you. It still works out not too much more than the small packet rate.

If not... no idea, sorry.

Back