Film Developing in the UK

Max in Huddersfield ruined my 7 rolls when i couldnt wait to develop them myself after returning from a holiday.

I've just sent another 3 rolls of film off to AG Photolab ( http://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ ). I've never had cause for complaint about the quality of their developing or scanning of my films, and I must have sent them around 30 rolls over the last couple of years.

That's taken in Sheffield. Which branch of Max Spielman did they use? I used a couple of branches when I first got back into shooting film but after three sets of bad results from one particular lab, I decided against it being my fault or a dodgy film, and far more likely to be down to the processing (I wonder what volume of film processing they still get, and how experienced the staff are when it comes to doing the work - especially newer members who've weren't with the business when film processing was still prevalent?).

If your friend is in Sheffield (and didn't just take the photo there) then advise them to use Peak Imaging if they want to drop films off in person. I use Peak all the time and they're great.
It was the Max Spielmann in Crystal Peaks. I've told him about Peak Imaging already. I'll be sure to remind him when his next batch of films are ready for developing.

It was the Max Spielmann in Crystal Peaks. I've told him about Peak Imaging already. I'll be sure to remind him when his next batch of films are ready for developing.

That's the same branch that I had the bad results from. In the intererests of balance, I also had a roll developed in the High Street branch last year and, to be fair, they all came out fine but, being honest, I wouldn't risk it now and always use Peak (dropping the rolls off and collecting the results in person).

Last edited:
Astonishingly quick turnaround from FilmDev yet again - I posted my roll off yesterday, went overnight via 1st class post, and I've received the link to my scans today. That's what I call service!

Astonishingly quick turnaround from FilmDev yet again - I posted my roll off yesterday, went overnight via 1st class post, and I've received the link to my scans today. That's what I call service!
Brilliant, if we could only persuade them to do 4x5 and give us TP F&C types a discount we'd be sorted :D

Spoke to David of Filmdev again on Saturday. Among other things, he told me they have a Noritsu Koki scanner now installed; apparently the Fuji Frontier isn't getting updated, but you can still get your scans on the Fuji if you request them. I thought my scans on the roll of Vista 400 that was actually shot at 320 were a bit lighter than similar rolls scanned on the Frontier... but after I had done a bit of PP they ended up with pretty much the same richness of tone.

This next bit is my recollection of our conversation, but bear in mind I might have got things muddled...

I had the problem of some scans with zero dates (1 January, 1904 on my Mac) again, even though they were from the new scanner. From our conversation, it seems that the scanner doesn't add dates, leaving that field blank. However, if on inspection the scans need a bit of work to remove hairs, dust or whatever, they go into some PP software that does, incidentally add the current date/time. They worked out a possible solution that puts the current date but zero time (ie midnight, I suppose) in all scans, and sent me another zip file. These seem to load into Aperture in the "right" order (ie file name sequence). On reflection, this is a reasonable solution; sometimes (as with one of these rolls) the scan with filename 0001 is actually the last in the roll. This gives me the option of renaming all the files and getting them to sort in the correct order.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the Noritsu will give 16-bit TIFFs if you want to go down that route. I don't think FilmDev charge for TIFFs, but you will pay in download time and disk space!

Last edited:
Looks like the Noritsu (if it's the same as this one) also goes up to 30 Mp: http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/cont/reference_scan.php Scary file sizes if you asked for this at 16 bit!

h'mm surprised at recommended max print sizes as the 6X7 is a larger neg than 6X4.5 and would think 286 extra pixels wouldn't make any difference.

6 x 4.5 format
2048 x 2796
7" x 9"

6x7 format
2048 x 2510
6" x 8"

+1 for FilmDev, delighted with the results. Now if only it weren't for the pesky RM small packet charge! Means it's only really economical to send in a bunch of rolls at a time, which for me means maybe a month gap each time...
I've seen Hermes do such small packets marginally cheaper (£2.70ish), but going from the reviews I doubt I'd trust them with my film!

+1 for FilmDev, delighted with the results. Now if only it weren't for the pesky RM small packet charge! Means it's only really economical to send in a bunch of rolls at a time, which for me means maybe a month gap each time...
I've seen Hermes do such small packets marginally cheaper (£2.70ish), but going from the reviews I doubt I'd trust them with my film!

....even more annoying with RM is that you can wiggle the film through the slot in a jiffy bag, but that doesn't count as it has to slide through easily. :banghead:

....even more annoying with RM is that you can wiggle the film through the slot in a jiffy bag, but that doesn't count as it has to slide through easily. :banghead:

The PO nearby don't even bother wiggling it, it's just "that'll be £3.40 please...." if only I could have such sub mm accuracy vision!!:D

I don't even bother with the PO any more as I never have any luck. I stick film in a jiffy bag, pop a large letter stamp (98p first class) on it, and stick it in the post box. Touch wood I've never had one fail to get there yet! I'm probably being a bit cheeky but I always hoped that if I had any issues then FilmDev might pay the extra and then add it on to my bill for me.

120 goes in as it is, because it's only slightly larger than the limit, but I take 35mm out of the plastic pot to try and slim it down a tad.

For important photos (multiple holiday rolls etc) I usually special delivery it as it's not worth the risk.

I've been using Snaps Photo Services in Bournemouth. Very quick turnaround, competitive pricing, and they'll do contact prints.

I don't even bother with the PO any more as I never have any luck. I stick film in a jiffy bag, pop a large letter stamp (98p first class) on it, and stick it in the post box. Touch wood I've never had one fail to get there yet! I'm probably being a bit cheeky but I always hoped that if I had any issues then FilmDev might pay the extra and then add it on to my bill for me.

I've had extra postage costs a few times (I think the local RM office have wised up, contemplating posting out of area!), Filmdev are very good about it. So far it's been £3 extra, ie £3.90 rather than the official £3.40. However, RM through in a few days extra on the delivery time as well, so not to be tried with your potential POTY winner in the last week of the month!

Three rolls of colour negatives off to AG on Friday. Just using their process only service at the moment until my darkroom is back up and running. They always delivery clean negatives and usually get them back to me in around a week. They also seem to be the cheapest option for dev only, as long as you send a few films to split the postage.

Three rolls of colour negatives off to AG on Friday. Just using their process only service at the moment until my darkroom is back up and running. They always delivery clean negatives and usually get them back to me in around a week. They also seem to be the cheapest option for dev only, as long as you send a few films to split the postage.

Filmdev are £3 a roll for dev and small scan. They must be about the same cost. I haven't checked AG prices for a while though. My negs are usually back within 2 days of the scans. Filmdev price includes return postage for the negs. Min order is £5 so 1 roll of medium scan or 2 of small.

Following up on this...the 3 rolls of C41 arrived back yesterday (Tuesday), so a four day turn-around for AG. They must have arrived in the lab Saturday and put them in the post on Monday. This was process-only and significantly quicker than my last batch which was a mix of C41 and E6. I assume the E6 holds things up as they wait for a large enough batch to come in.

I sent 3 rolls of 35mm Ektar 100 to AG yesterday and, if true to form, I should have them back in Friday or Saturday's post. £11.85 including return postage for develop only, which can't be bad for 3 films and postage costs. I find the pre-paid, padded envelope they put in with the negs handy for next time too (no queuing at the post office or downloading small parcel stamps from RM's website), plus the card envelope they send the negs back in is small enough to fit through a standard letterbox, so the postie doesn't have to fold it in half to push it through or knock on the door and disturb me.

I've had good service from FilmDev too, so I think it's swings and roundabouts, but the pre-paid padded envelope and smaller, rigid cardboard, return envelope is enough for me to tend towards AG.

Another +1 for filmdev.

Would use AG Photolab (as I'd like to support a local business), but they burn to CD rather than offering a download. I don't actually have a computer with a CD drive anymore, how times have changed !
The same reason I changed. I'm a convert to FilmDev now, just wish they offered the option of prints for the occasional time I want them.

Another +1 for filmdev.

Would use AG Photolab (as I'd like to support a local business), but they burn to CD rather than offering a download. I don't actually have a computer with a CD drive anymore, how times have changed !

I've contacted them about offering downloads. Will report back.

Another +1 for filmdev.

AG say...

"Unfortunately, no - we don't offer a digital upload service at the moment; though it is something we're hoping to implement into our new website once it launches in the next couple of months."

AG say...

"Unfortunately, no - we don't offer a digital upload service at the moment; though it is something we're hoping to implement into our new website once it launches in the next couple of months."

I pop in there every now and again to buy film and asked the same question a month or so back - they said they didn't have the bandwith to be able to offer downloads.
Sounds as though they're getting an IT makeover now though ?

Best place to buy film in Brum by the way, most Kodak/Fuji/Ilford films at fair prices and with the good stuff stored in a fridge.

I pop in there every now and again to buy film and asked the same question a month or so back - they said they didn't have the bandwith to be able to offer downloads.
Sounds as though they're getting an IT makeover now though ?

Filmdev do their downloads via WeTransfer... but of course they still have to upload them first!

Guess what's just dropped through the letterbox? :) I posted 3 films off to AG on Tuesday afternoon, 3 sets of nice-looking negatives in a brown card envelope returned today! I can't ask for a better turn-around time than that, well done AG and Royal Mail, faultless service. (y)

Good to see AG improving, if they were to get an upload/download service up and running I might be tempted to give them a go.

I have always processed C41 my self, Tried E6 with AG few weeks ago, Turn around was 10-12 Days and they arrived with marks and dirt on it. Process was great though.

Pretty happy with Filmdev at the moment. I usually pop the film into a post box on my walk to work and then get the scans by download a day or two later, with the film following on a few days after that. £5 for dev and a medium sized scan of 120, with free return delivery. Total cost including postage there is £5.95. The scans are decent too. Not on par with higher end labs like Carmencita or UKFL, but then they're half the price and take 1/4 as long! If their service stays like this then I'll keep using them for the foreseeable future.

Pretty happy with Filmdev at the moment. I usually pop the film into a post box on my walk to work and then get the scans by download a day or two later, with the film following on a few days after that. £5 for dev and a medium sized scan of 120, with free return delivery. Total cost including postage there is £5.95. The scans are decent too. Not on par with higher end labs like Carmencita or UKFL, but then they're half the price and take 1/4 as long! If their service stays like this then I'll keep using them for the foreseeable future.
Me too, very impressed with their service after a little shaky start.

A bit more to add- I posted my film off yesterday after work at 4.45, and got the download link this afternoon at 3.40.

Crazy. Finished images in my inbox less than 23 hours after the jiffy bag left my hand.Must have got lucky with the post times I think!

Top marks to both Royal Mail and Filmdev (y)

Just had the download link from Filmdev, very good service and the price makes it even better.

I did send the rolls 'signed for' this time however, I'm getting paranoid about using RM at the moment :runaway:

Today I spent £96 on film dev only, no scans...

2jf17hs.jpg

still, the slides are beautiful...:)

Tweet today from @Filmdev: "Just to let all our customers know we will be closed Monday 18th September to Thursday 21st September for Servicing and Maintenance."

OK, looks like they'll be back in time for the end of the month bridges rush!

Back