1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Official Forum Idiot 2013 & 2014

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    From a quick look it seems like minimum postage is £3 which is pricey if you just want 1 roll processed, even taking into account 'mate's rates'.

But it's good to see another processor, more choice can only be a good thing.

2. freecom2

freecom2

Edit My Images:
    No
    Indeed. I have several London based processors I can pick from so it's superfluous to my needs, but for anyone based near there, you never know. It looks like they started up relatively recently, although a Google search struggled to uncover much more detail then that.

3. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    erm had more 120 film developed and he said yesterday for 35mm " £3 for dev and £3 for scanning" ???????????????
    I seem to be the only one getting 120 film developed and he has to clean the rollers every time for the larger format.......just for me :eek: (y)
    Anyway the dev is ok, some spots, and the film could be 14 years old (expired 12 years ago):-

RB67, 65mm lens
    [​IMG]

RB67, 65mm or 180mm lens
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. richboyphoto

richboyphoto

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    No
    who's the cheapest 35mm e6 processing/scanning? i've always used the whole picture (fuji, burnley) for c41/prints/b+w film but i just sent them my first roll of e6 and they said it'll be £19 for dev, prints and a free cd, i can't afford to pay that everytime.. x-pro is £9 but i don't want x-pro. any recommendations of good service, quality processing but at an affordable price?

5. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I can't help you for E-6, but just a thought about prints:- unless you can get them very cheap it's a waste of money if like me, only a few shots are winners. If the CD is a decent scan you can always upload the nice JPGs to get prints sent to you.

6. freecom2

freecom2

Edit My Images:
    No
    Agreed with Brian - prints at the point of developing are almost always a waste of money. Dev + scan is a very popular choice for a reason.

7. Psyence33

Psyence33

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Was truprint.co.uk ever mentioned? I was looking for cheap dev and photo express came up the cheapest but truprint still posts those mail bags out for free postage. Ive got some sent to me so will use them next plus they seem cheap enough.

8. s162216

s162216

Name:
    Samuel
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    But expect negatives to not be quite top quality so to speak, I used them about 3 years ago and the quality was decidedly average for the price with most of the negatives having dust and scratches on them. I subsequently found out that for £6.60 (dev and 6x4 inc there and back postage, I like flicking through prints still!), Club 35 would do the same as Truprint about 5 days faster, with very good quality negs and for about £2.00 cheaper!

9. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Because of this thread poundshop have run out of film erm well in Uxbridge :)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  10. Psyence33

Psyence33

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ah thanks for the heads up! Well there will always be a catch at that price. Just the bag seems pretty handy! Maybe alright for some lomo stuff :D

11. ccimaging

ccimaging

Name:
    Chris, Ben... et al
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Out of date film can still produce great results, especially if you have kept it in the fridge/freezer from purchase.

Older film is not much of an issue when used for Lomography, in fact it can be desirable. We've put lots through e6 and xpr e6 through c41. If any are interested, I put up a guide for loading 35mm film into a 120 back... this results in the whole frame being exposed including the sprockets!

If you have a 120 camera and don't fancy buying a plastic fantastic lomo camera, it is a great way to have a go.

Here is the guide.

Chris.

12. Tigger.ufo

Tigger.ufo

Name:
    Heather
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The Print Room in Worthing is no longer processing films.

Does anyone know anything about DNA photo imaging in Worthing?

Heather

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  13. s162216

s162216

Name:
    Samuel
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I checked their website and their offering process and print packages as well as all usual film services still, perhaps they've just not updated their website recently?

http://www.the-printroom.co.uk/Price.html

14. Tigger.ufo

Tigger.ufo

Name:
    Heather
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I actually went into the chemist shop about 2 weeks ago and they told me they had closed down the previous wednesday so I presume they have not updated the website.

They said the only other place was Allphotos in Tarring Rd and I have found out that they use DNG to process films taken into them.

Heather

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just been in to my local Asda, after interrogating the poor girl for ten minutes we worked out their interesting pricing structure. I've not confirmed this by putting a film in but...

They charge £2 for dev, £1 for scanning to cd and they'll only print ones that'll print properly, At 25p a print (I think).

Not sure I like the idea of them or their machine choosing what ones are exposed correctly or what ones the colours are right but for a dev and scan £3 isn't bad.

Need to finish a spool and see if the quality at this Asda is acceptable.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  16. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

IIRC Tesco do it the other way around 99p dev and £2 for a CD

17. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Strange, I've just been in the Asda at The Jewel (Edinburgh), and they were quoting me £5 for a 24-shot film dev and scan, or £6 in an hour! Of course they don't do E6 or BW so I've just dropped a couple of films at the Fujifilm near St Patricks Sq...

18. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Official Forum Idiot 2013 & 2014

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Strangely there doesn't seem to be any more consistency of their pricing than there is of the quality of their dev and scan.

19. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I'm sure one of us can scan a receipt and you can show the manager that it's £2.97 dev and scan to CD.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Stuck a spool in this afternoon should be ready Thursday to see what the quality is like. I hope its at least "not bad" its on my way home and the guy behind the counter had no problem with the Dev and Scan option, so for £3 it could be a good go to place till I get my scanner and some Black and White film.

21. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Picked it up, it was alright for the money. Scans are rubbish, low res and needed quite a lot of work to rescue, fine as a quick way to see if the frame is worth running through the film scanner. Negatives are very slightly scratched and some water spots in places, not sure if it would show on a decent scan the film I shot was quite old so I'm willing to forgive the colours.

22. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hmm. Not cheap; altogether about £18 for a 36-shot E6 and 24-shot FP4. The E6 needed to be pulled one stop; result is a bit weird-looking, but I've no idea what to expect, given I over-exposed it. I asked for the next scan level up from basic (I think 7*5 rather than 6*4); the results look like 1500 dpi (3.5 mp), which is still a bit weak, for me. And while I was initially blaming a poor result with the FP4 on my Oxfam Trip 35, after loooking at the negatives they appear reasonably well-balanced, so I'm suspecting the scan. I'll do them myself when I get back home.

I guess the end point is I wouldn't use them again, although the price didn't seem much worse than Club 35 for an E6 and BW. Maybe I shuld go back to C41, which is so much cheaper!

23. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Prices at Asda have gone up a whopping 3p..it's £3 for dev and CD. :(

24. clicktheshutter

clicktheshutter

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I can't find an Asda that still does film developing? Up near Dudley and Birmingham

25. HBeevers

HBeevers

Name:
    Henry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Anyone tried drum scanning from here?

It's certainly cheap for drum scanning and the sample images look incredible. Just wondering if anyone's used them and could give their experience? It seems to be run by Tim Parkin, a large format photog so sounds like it should be good.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  26. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If only someone would produce a cheap easy to use 35mm scanner for about £150-£200 that would give results similar to a drum scanner. :shrug: ....but I suppose Epson or whoever can't be bothered to even try. (n)

27. HBeevers

HBeevers

Name:
    Henry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    if a company made a scanner like that with some sort of near enough "auto-develop" machine for film all within a £500 price range then digital would be in serious trouble, especially if it could do medium format.

28. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Give a lab a neg and it's amazing what they can do:-

My son had this done from a shot using:- 35p roll of superia 200, Canon T70 camera bought for £8 and a Canon 28mm lens for £12, 277T flash £6....all bought about 3 years ago.
    A bad shot of my shot with flash flare and the print is about 12X16" or whatever the size of the cigarette packet is:-
    [​IMG]

Original IIRC was developed at Boots and I probable scanned this my self
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  29. medwaygreen

medwaygreen

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Have you forgot that we all get a 50p discount per film after £5.00 with Photo Express in hull.

So two films at £4.50 developed and scanned plus 50p to help towards delivery, less discount at 50p per film, is a cost of £8.50 great value and do not forget the delivery cost remains the same no matter who many films you send.

I have just sent four films total cost £16.50p great value and great service, turnaround three days.

Richard.

30. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Plus their scanning resolution (3000 x 2000) is better than most services' medium scan at over a tenner! Sadly they don't do E6 or BW but (if I can contain my impatience) I'm seriously thinking of getting those done process only and then sending the results off to Photo Express to scan for £4! The film they did for me earlier was excellent.

31. TheBigYin

TheBigYin Staff Member

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I tried the Ag Photographic Develop only service for roll 4 of the homeless holga project - I'd certainly consider using them again for C41 - I'd be interested in seeng what they can do with images from a "proper" camera and film that hasn't been rattling around the country in all weathers, in a cardboard box for the last year!

32. wichard

wichard

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I used Photo Express recently, really can't knock the price or turnaround time but I don't think the scans are that great. High res but they seem quite noisy/pixelly, especially when viewed at 100%. I have ASDA scans which look better to my (untrained) eye.

33. Musicman

Musicman

Name:
    Rob Telford
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Pretty happy with the 35mm Kodak BW400CN I sent to AG - all the stuff I've been posting in the "show us yer film shots" thread over the last few days.

Started scanning a roll of 120 BW400CN last night. Looks OK. Still have a roll of Ektar and Superia to go.

34. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Is their postage rate for film really £4.95? I can't work out whether they are saying that or £2.20/£2.70!

35. Musicman

Musicman

Name:
    Rob Telford
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I agree it could be worded more clearly.

£4.95 is delivery for everything else they sell.

£2.20/£2.70 is the postage you'll pay for sending the film to them.

£2.99 includes processing and return postage per film. Obviously not such a good deal if you have ten rolls to develop, but if it's only a couple it's pretty good.

36. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have built up an Excel spreadsheet that estimates the cost of processing only, or of processing plus medium scan (12-18 MB as they say; I'm hoping this means somewhere of the order of 2000 dpi) for 35mm film (36 exposure, C41 and/or E6 and/or BW), for a half dozen or so companies. It takes into account whether VAT needs to be added to their list prices, whether there's a Freepost facility, and the delivery charge (sort of... not reliable). Is anyone interested in this? All data taken from their websites, whenever I last looked.

I don't know if TP can share any file other than a JPEG. I suppose I could put it on my public dropbox...

37. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Could you convert it to a google docs and share that?

38. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ummm.... well, yes and no I guess! Yes, all things are possible but no, I've no idea how Google Docs works. The upside is I have a Google account (and I used to be an IT manager!), the downside is I'd have to put a bit of time into learning. Some of the calculations have double-nested IFs and/or MAX functions, and I don't know how well they would transfer.

I'll have a thunk...

39. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Its pretty easy, simple functions such as If Max and lookups should be automatically translated when it is uploaded. From Gmail, click on Drive then down the side there is an icon for upload click it and follow the instructions. Don't worry if you can't be bothered of course but it's a nice way to let others contribute.

40. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Steven I'll have a look. Meanwhile I sent you a PM with pointer to the Excel version in Dropbox to try...