Film Developing in the UK

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Mine used to arrive jumbled up when I requested scans (although the contact sheet sent with the negs was fine), but I'd just re-shuffle them in Lightroom, so not a massive issue.
That's one of the possible side-effects of the problem...
If it's just a matter of taking data from one (fixed) position in a scan and using it to overwrite another (fixed) position, isn't it a trivial programming job? I assume the data is in a header of invariant format.

Just to be clear, I mean a separate program that could examine and fix all files without an appropriate date in a given directory. Picked by file extension I presume to just look at the scans.
It's not fixed positions, it's a tagged dataset (exif metadata). The actual data from one faulty example looks like this:

<IFD0:ModifyDate> </IFD0:ModifyDate>
<ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal> </ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal>
<ExifIFD:CreateDate> </ExifIFD:CreateDate>
EDIT: those smileys are clearly a : followed by a D!

So those 3 possible exif dates are empty/blank, read as zero, interpreted as 1970:01:01. Elsewhere in the metadata we have:

<System:FileModifyDate>2021:04:14 17:59:52+01:00</System:FileModifyDate>
I think this is what Aperture was picking up. As I said, no idea what Lightroom does, but I'm guessing it finds a date from somewhere or more of you would be annoyed!

I got this data using exiftool in Terminal:
CARMac5:~ crusbrid$ exiftool -X '/Users/crusbrid/Pictures/Master images/Folders/Pentax New/Pentax 2021/2104BPMXBW FP4 M28-3.5 Round Ken FP4Party/000090420002.jpg'
But we should remember:
If you don't mind running stuff from the command line, then I think you can just say something like:

exiftool "-alldates<filecreatedate" "Master images"

I should say, I haven't tried this yet. While I use Filmdev, I may not need to, but I did notice that AG uses Noritsu....

Last edited:

Andysnap

POTY (Film) 2015
Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I sent one off on Tuesday so no delays as yet. I sent a few rolls of on a Friday 3 weeks ago and received the download on the following Tuesday.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Most recent for me was a couple of weeks ago, posted Monday, paid Thursday evening with the link sent first thing Friday. That seems to be the standard for me with them :)

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't do film anymore but I have a question for this thread:

How is it that people are sending their films off for development? The cost of film development is miniscule as all one needs is a developing tank, a changing bag and some chemicals. Is it the cost of scanning that prompts people to send films off? I wouldn't have thought that scanners cost much these days either. Just asking.

Edit My Images
No

How is it that people are sending their films off for development? The cost of film development is miniscule as all one needs is a developing tank, a changing bag and some chemicals. Is it the cost of scanning that prompts people to send films off? I wouldn't have thought that scanners cost much these days either. Just asking.
Shooting colour is one reason. Less hassle is another, even for B&W. And FilmDev do an excellent job with a better scanner than most of us own, for about the price of a roll of film, with developing included.

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No

I develop my own B&W but send colour and E6 off. Don't want the hassle of colour and E6 and for the amount of colour I shoot it's cost effective for me too.

For B&W, people may not have the space (or kitchen privelidges!) as well as the time to develop film at home. I'd say it takes me an hour from dev to usable scans in Lightroom for one roll of film. If I didn't have the desk space for a scanner (most are A3 sized) I'd be getting it done at a lab too. Then there's the possibility of screw-ups, as well as having the motivation to do it.

In short - probably lots of reasons.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes

One of my big things is that I started shooting film again was so I would spend less time sat in front of a computer, developing at home sounds like a good laugh but messing about with scanners is something that's putting me off. Sending it away may cost more, but I also value my time and at the moment I'm happy to pay somebody else to do that side of things.

I would like to try developing my own, and if it was a case of just buying some chemicals and that was it I would be happy to have a go however it would also need an investment of a decent scanner. I've owned an Epson Vxxx scanner in the past and while I got some good results for 6x6 scans the 35mm ones were a real pain in the backside and seeing as I'm exclusively shooting 35mm at the moment that would seem counterproductive if i'm trying to spend less time in front of the computer. The Plustek units have taken my fancy, but would require £2-300 investment which if it doesn't work out for me I would be annoyed at :LOL:

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No

I develop and scan all my own, both B&W and colour. Scanning can be a pain for sure[especially when doing multiple formats] and I wish there was a quicker way to do that sometimes as it can be time consuming. But, for me, I really enjoy the whole process.

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes

Express Imaging based in Cardiff dev and print 35mm and 120 film. They also sell film and chemicals and can scan and WeTransfer scanned Tiff files from developed negs.

Also do mail order :)

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
What company do people use for E6 processing?

I’ve been using filmdev but I don’t think they do E6.

Peter B

FPOTY 2019 and Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes

I've used Ag Photolab a couple of times for 35mm and been quite happy with the service. I've previously used Peak Imaging for 5x4 sheets, and the quality was fine.

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Ah, I have to apologise, I made a very big assumption. In my [film] developing past I only ever did monochrome, I forgot that people also do colour film with it's finicky temperature control, multiple baths and colour balancing. Yes, I think I would send my films off for processing too if I was doing colour. :asshat:

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
One of my big things is that I started shooting film again was so I would spend less time sat in front of a computer, developing at home sounds like a good laugh but messing about with scanners is something that's putting me off. Sending it away may cost more, but I also value my time and at the moment I'm happy to pay somebody else to do that side of things.

I would like to try developing my own, and if it was a case of just buying some chemicals and that was it I would be happy to have a go however it would also need an investment of a decent scanner. I've owned an Epson Vxxx scanner in the past and while I got some good results for 6x6 scans the 35mm ones were a real pain in the backside and seeing as I'm exclusively shooting 35mm at the moment that would seem counterproductive if i'm trying to spend less time in front of the computer. The Plustek units have taken my fancy, but would require £2-300 investment which if it doesn't work out for me I would be annoyed at :LOL:
Perhaps you could go the whole hog and get yourself a darkroom and an enlarger! That way you can scan your prints on an all-in-one printer/scanner... And it gets you away from the computer...

Or you could perhaps experiment with Digital camera "scanning"? There's a Big Film Scanner Thread on here somewhere that talks a bit about the latter...

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No

I personally wouldn't recommend AG Photographic. My negs came back one time with a clearly visible thumb print in one corner, and then a few rolls later I got dirty negs back (similar to the link). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, etc etc. If I shoot E6 again I shall try somewhere else.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Perhaps you could go the whole hog and get yourself a darkroom and an enlarger! That way you can scan your prints on an all-in-one printer/scanner... And it gets you away from the computer...

Or you could perhaps experiment with Digital camera "scanning"? There's a Big Film Scanner Thread on here somewhere that talks a bit about the latter...
A good point well made! Sadly my workspace is currently the cupboard under the stairs, it’s bigger than it sounds but still not spacious in any sense of the word; it is the one room in the house with no natural light though......

I’ll have a look for the big scanning thread to see if I can have a crack at DSLR scanning as I own one with some cheap extension tubes which may be suitable :D

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I've used Ag Photolab a couple of times for 35mm and been quite happy with the service. I've previously used Peak Imaging for 5x4 sheets, and the quality was fine.
I’ve used them before and they seemed ok too.

ChrisR

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I personally wouldn't recommend AG Photographic. My negs came back one time with a clearly visible thumb print in one corner, and then a few rolls later I got dirty negs back (similar to the link). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, etc etc. If I shoot E6 again I shall try somewhere else.
I've used AG quite a bit in the past few years when I've wanted dev-only black and white (particularly in the period when Filmdev suspended their B&W work). The results from AG have been uniformly excellent, and their systems now work really well (I had issues 8 years ago with lengthy dev times and poor communications and that's all fixed now AFAICS). Wouldn't hesitate to use them again!