Film Developing in the UK

Mine used to arrive jumbled up when I requested scans (although the contact sheet sent with the negs was fine), but I'd just re-shuffle them in Lightroom, so not a massive issue.
That's one of the possible side-effects of the problem...
If it's just a matter of taking data from one (fixed) position in a scan and using it to overwrite another (fixed) position, isn't it a trivial programming job? I assume the data is in a header of invariant format.

Just to be clear, I mean a separate program that could examine and fix all files without an appropriate date in a given directory. Picked by file extension I presume to just look at the scans.
It's not fixed positions, it's a tagged dataset (exif metadata). The actual data from one faulty example looks like this:

<IFD0:ModifyDate> </IFD0:ModifyDate>
<ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal> </ExifIFD:DateTimeOriginal>
<ExifIFD:CreateDate> </ExifIFD:CreateDate>

EDIT: those smileys are clearly a : followed by a D!

So those 3 possible exif dates are empty/blank, read as zero, interpreted as 1970:01:01. Elsewhere in the metadata we have:

<System:FileModifyDate>2021:04:14 17:59:52+01:00</System:FileModifyDate>

I think this is what Aperture was picking up. As I said, no idea what Lightroom does, but I'm guessing it finds a date from somewhere or more of you would be annoyed!

I got this data using exiftool in Terminal:
CARMac5:~ crusbrid$ exiftool -X '/Users/crusbrid/Pictures/Master images/Folders/Pentax New/Pentax 2021/2104BPMXBW FP4 M28-3.5 Round Ken FP4Party/000090420002.jpg'

But we should remember:
If you don't mind running stuff from the command line, then I think you can just say something like:

exiftool "-alldates<filecreatedate" "Master images"

I should say, I haven't tried this yet. While I use Filmdev, I may not need to, but I did notice that AG uses Noritsu....

Last edited:
I sent one off on Tuesday so no delays as yet. I sent a few rolls of on a Friday 3 weeks ago and received the download on the following Tuesday.

Most recent for me was a couple of weeks ago, posted Monday, paid Thursday evening with the link sent first thing Friday. That seems to be the standard for me with them :)

I don't do film anymore but I have a question for this thread:

How is it that people are sending their films off for development? The cost of film development is miniscule as all one needs is a developing tank, a changing bag and some chemicals. Is it the cost of scanning that prompts people to send films off? I wouldn't have thought that scanners cost much these days either. Just asking.

How is it that people are sending their films off for development? The cost of film development is miniscule as all one needs is a developing tank, a changing bag and some chemicals. Is it the cost of scanning that prompts people to send films off? I wouldn't have thought that scanners cost much these days either. Just asking.
Shooting colour is one reason. Less hassle is another, even for B&W. And FilmDev do an excellent job with a better scanner than most of us own, for about the price of a roll of film, with developing included.

I develop my own B&W but send colour and E6 off. Don't want the hassle of colour and E6 and for the amount of colour I shoot it's cost effective for me too.

For B&W, people may not have the space (or kitchen privelidges!) as well as the time to develop film at home. I'd say it takes me an hour from dev to usable scans in Lightroom for one roll of film. If I didn't have the desk space for a scanner (most are A3 sized) I'd be getting it done at a lab too. Then there's the possibility of screw-ups, as well as having the motivation to do it.

In short - probably lots of reasons.

One of my big things is that I started shooting film again was so I would spend less time sat in front of a computer, developing at home sounds like a good laugh but messing about with scanners is something that's putting me off. Sending it away may cost more, but I also value my time and at the moment I'm happy to pay somebody else to do that side of things.

I would like to try developing my own, and if it was a case of just buying some chemicals and that was it I would be happy to have a go however it would also need an investment of a decent scanner. I've owned an Epson Vxxx scanner in the past and while I got some good results for 6x6 scans the 35mm ones were a real pain in the backside and seeing as I'm exclusively shooting 35mm at the moment that would seem counterproductive if i'm trying to spend less time in front of the computer. The Plustek units have taken my fancy, but would require £2-300 investment which if it doesn't work out for me I would be annoyed at :LOL:

I develop and scan all my own, both B&W and colour. Scanning can be a pain for sure[especially when doing multiple formats] and I wish there was a quicker way to do that sometimes as it can be time consuming. But, for me, I really enjoy the whole process.

Express Imaging based in Cardiff dev and print 35mm and 120 film. They also sell film and chemicals and can scan and WeTransfer scanned Tiff files from developed negs.

Also do mail order :)

What company do people use for E6 processing?

I’ve been using filmdev but I don’t think they do E6.

I've used Ag Photolab a couple of times for 35mm and been quite happy with the service. I've previously used Peak Imaging for 5x4 sheets, and the quality was fine.

Ah, I have to apologise, I made a very big assumption. In my [film] developing past I only ever did monochrome, I forgot that people also do colour film with it's finicky temperature control, multiple baths and colour balancing. Yes, I think I would send my films off for processing too if I was doing colour. :asshat:

One of my big things is that I started shooting film again was so I would spend less time sat in front of a computer, developing at home sounds like a good laugh but messing about with scanners is something that's putting me off. Sending it away may cost more, but I also value my time and at the moment I'm happy to pay somebody else to do that side of things.

I would like to try developing my own, and if it was a case of just buying some chemicals and that was it I would be happy to have a go however it would also need an investment of a decent scanner. I've owned an Epson Vxxx scanner in the past and while I got some good results for 6x6 scans the 35mm ones were a real pain in the backside and seeing as I'm exclusively shooting 35mm at the moment that would seem counterproductive if i'm trying to spend less time in front of the computer. The Plustek units have taken my fancy, but would require £2-300 investment which if it doesn't work out for me I would be annoyed at :LOL:
Perhaps you could go the whole hog and get yourself a darkroom and an enlarger! That way you can scan your prints on an all-in-one printer/scanner... And it gets you away from the computer...

Or you could perhaps experiment with Digital camera "scanning"? There's a Big Film Scanner Thread on here somewhere that talks a bit about the latter...

I personally wouldn't recommend AG Photographic. My negs came back one time with a clearly visible thumb print in one corner, and then a few rolls later I got dirty negs back (similar to the link). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, etc etc. If I shoot E6 again I shall try somewhere else.

Perhaps you could go the whole hog and get yourself a darkroom and an enlarger! That way you can scan your prints on an all-in-one printer/scanner... And it gets you away from the computer...

Or you could perhaps experiment with Digital camera "scanning"? There's a Big Film Scanner Thread on here somewhere that talks a bit about the latter...

A good point well made! Sadly my workspace is currently the cupboard under the stairs, it’s bigger than it sounds but still not spacious in any sense of the word; it is the one room in the house with no natural light though......

I’ll have a look for the big scanning thread to see if I can have a crack at DSLR scanning as I own one with some cheap extension tubes which may be suitable :D

I've used Ag Photolab a couple of times for 35mm and been quite happy with the service. I've previously used Peak Imaging for 5x4 sheets, and the quality was fine.

I’ve used them before and they seemed ok too.

I personally wouldn't recommend AG Photographic. My negs came back one time with a clearly visible thumb print in one corner, and then a few rolls later I got dirty negs back (similar to the link). Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, etc etc. If I shoot E6 again I shall try somewhere else.
I've used AG quite a bit in the past few years when I've wanted dev-only black and white (particularly in the period when Filmdev suspended their B&W work). The results from AG have been uniformly excellent, and their systems now work really well (I had issues 8 years ago with lengthy dev times and poor communications and that's all fixed now AFAICS). Wouldn't hesitate to use them again!

I stopped using AG some time ago when my film came back really dirty, it looked like it had been dropped on the floor emulsion side down while wet. I emailed them to complain and they didn't even bother to reply to my email. I now use Spectrum Photolabs in Plymouth and am happy with them.

I'm also someone that had negative experiences with AG a few years back, but it was a while ago (they scratched my negatives, denied responsibility, were near impossible to contact, then they sent my negatives back to the wrong address and permanently lost them. They didn't care that they'd lost them and refused to even offer compensation to the cost of a replacement film.)

I use Peak and they've always been superb, never an issue.

I can only speak as I find... I've been using AG for over 5 years now and have yet to experience a problem with their service. I generally go for a develop only service (apart from E6) and have often had them develop and post the film back to me the same day as they received it. If I think I've shot a roll with something 'special' on it then I'll go for a high-res scan, and have always been pleased with the results.

I develop and scan all my own, both B&W and colour. Scanning can be a pain for sure[especially when doing multiple formats] and I wish there was a quicker way to do that sometimes as it can be time consuming. But, for me, I really enjoy the whole process.
What scanner do you use ?

Used Asda a few years back never again. Film all screwed up in machine and charged for developing, operator said we used chemicals to develop so you have to pay for it.
Soon had the manager she was not very happy with my remarks, but I got my money back.

Trevor

Used Asda a few years back never again. Film all screwed up in machine and charged for developing, operator said we used chemicals to develop so you have to pay for it.
Soon had the manager she was not very happy with my remarks, but I got my money back.

Trevor
Hi Trevor, ASDA dev/scan is pretty much all gone now, replaced by Max Speilmann franchises. The one I studied the other day while waiting for my OH clearly had no on-site dev capabilities. A lot of these places (ASDA, Boots, MS, Snappy Snap) gave VERY variable results depending on the operator and the amount of usage (ie freshness of chemicals). I think it's worth payibg more for a proper lab, although, as you can tell, I've certainly made use of these local facilities from time to time!

AG photo labs, you can phone or e-mail them to obtain reply paid envelopes to send film to them FOC , you pay the return postage based on size and weight.

£5.49 for dev only 35mm or 120 then you can add what you wish in the way of mounts, scans, push or pull etc.

Last edited:
I've used AG quite a bit in the past few years when I've wanted dev-only black and white (particularly in the period when Filmdev suspended their B&W work). The results from AG have been uniformly excellent, and their systems now work really well (I had issues 8 years ago with lengthy dev times and poor communications and that's all fixed now AFAICS). Wouldn't hesitate to use them again!
Many thanks for that Chris.

We do believe that we offer the most consistent processing service in the UK now. We have many customers who wont hesitate to recommend us. We process everything for Bruce Percy (mainly E6) https://www.brucepercy.co.uk/ and his style tends to be quite minimalist, with large skys and mid tone areas - there is nowhere to hide sloppy processing with this sort of material! Bruce had tried various other well known labs before coming to us about 6 years ago.

Another similar customer on the E6 front is Ian Cameron https://www.transientlight.co.uk/

This isn't to say that we haven't made any mistakes in the past, but there isn't a processing lab, past or present, that can show a completely error free record, it's impossible. What matter's is the way we sort a problem out.

We constantly aim to offer the best and broadest service together with the easiest order process with the fastest turnaround. The launch of our new website at www.ag-photolab.co.uk builds significantly on this (and is set to be developed further), together with our continued investment in decent equipment - the reality is that much of the gear out there is now very long in the tooth because many labs already ran it into the ground and stopped investing when digital started to take a hold 15-20 years ago. Hence why we have had Hostert build us a new dip and dunk for B&W - there just isn't anything else available that will deliver the sort of quality we need AND efficiency.

Matt

It's been a while since I posted anything off for processing, I have a selection of emulsions and formats, what's everyones preferred one-stop-shop for C41, E6, 35mm, 120 and 5x4 or would I be better off splitting them between labs?

It's been a while since I posted anything off for processing, I have a selection of emulsions and formats, what's everyones preferred one-stop-shop for C41, E6, 35mm, 120 and 5x4 or would I be better off splitting them between labs?
Peak for that lot, I'd have thought? Possibly AG, can't remember if they do 5x4...

Peak for that lot, I'd have thought? Possibly AG, can't remember if they do 5x4...
I’m thinking AG too, I’m not sure I can afford Peak for the amount of films I’ve got.

I'm guessing that it's not just a question of popping your films into Boots these days? I've got to ask because I've just dug out my old Canon EOS 500n and am dipping my toes in the water of film developing once more. It's something I've fancied doing for a while, but as my other film camera is a Pentax MX and the prospect of focussing with that tiny viewfinder is daunting, I haven't really pursued it. However, I'd completely forgotten about my Canon, and the fact that it is probably the film equivalent of a modern, digital camera. It's spurred me on to give it a try. So, as someone who is not quite a newbie, but completely out of touch with film developing today, how do you go about it, and what sort of services do modern developers offer?

You can go to Boots, but I think they'll just send it away to a central lab nowadays - certainly the minilab in my local branch is long gone. So you might as well cut out the middleman and send it somewhere yourself. If you choose (e.g.) FilmDev, often mentioned in this thread, you'll get well-developed negatives and better, cheaper, higher resolution scans that Boots are likely to provide. Some chains, like Snappy Snaps, still run minilabs on the high street. I've had mixed experience with them (I think they are independently run franchises). Developing ranged from decent to not so great; scans from small to tiny unless you pay quite a lot. If you want machine prints of your whole roll, I haven't had that done for a long time, but some places still do it (not FilmDev, who only develop and scan, send your negatives back to you, and make the scans available to download).

Last edited:
... my other film camera is a Pentax MX and the prospect of focussing with that tiny viewfinder is daunting...

As a MX lover, have you actually looked through that viewfinder recently? It's one of the largest, brightest and best in the whole business AFAIK! ;)

... although focusing depends to a certain extent on which screen is loaded. Mine does not have the split prism in the centre, just an extra smooth area of ground glass. I really like it, but I do often track in and out a few times to get the focus spot on. I've a split prism in my Pentax ME, and in some circumstances it's easier.

I did have a PZ-1, pretty much fully teched up, but sold it after half a dozen rolls as it was too close to a digital camera experience, so I guess you can see where I'm coming from!

You can go to Boots, but I think they'll just send it away to a central lab nowadays - certainly the minilab in my local branch is long gone. So you might as well cut out the middleman and send it somewhere yourself. If you choose (e.g.) FilmDev, often mentioned in this thread, you'll get well-developed negatives and better, cheaper, higher resolution scans that Boots are likely to provide. Some chains, like Snappy Snaps, still run minilabs on the high street. I've had mixed experience with them (I think they are independently run franchises). Developing ranged from decent to not so great; scans from small to tiny unless you pay quite a lot. If you want machine prints of your whole roll, I haven't had that done for a long time, but some places still do it (not FilmDev, who only develop and scan, send your negatives back to you, and make the scans available to download).

I wasn't really going to go to Boots. :D Their film service was getting ropey by the time digital was becoming popular. I do like the look of the company you linked to though. It sounds like a good way of going about it. Although, I admit to being confused by talk of scans initially, I know what you mean. I'm more used to getting your prints back. :)

As a MX lover, have you actually looked through that viewfinder recently? It's one of the largest, brightest and best in the whole business AFAIK! ;)

... although focusing depends to a certain extent on which screen is loaded. Mine does not have the split prism in the centre, just an extra smooth area of ground glass. I really like it, but I do often track in and out a few times to get the focus spot on. I've a split prism in my Pentax ME, and in some circumstances it's easier.

I did have a PZ-1, pretty much fully teched up, but sold it after half a dozen rolls as it was too close to a digital camera experience, so I guess you can see where I'm coming from!

You're right. I've just dug it out and had a peep through it. The area is indeed very large. It's the split screen, micro prism I struggle with. And being longsighted in that eye doesn't help, I suppose. That's something else I can look into, maybe.

I wasn't really going to go to Boots. :D Their film service was getting ropey by the time digital was becoming popular. I do like the look of the company you linked to though. It sounds like a good way of going about it. Although, I admit to being confused by talk of scans initially, I know what you mean. I'm more used to getting your prints back. :)
Back in the day, some branches were surprisingly good. In the last few years before digital capture ruined everything ( :) ), a lot of them got Fuji Frontier minilabs that had a hybrid analogue/digital workflow. The negatives were developed as normal, then scanned and printed (with lasers!) on to Fuji Crystal Archive, with the scans also saved to CD (FilmDev still use the scanner component as one of their options). One day I came across a promotion in a branch in central London with a large discount, probably intended for tourists. I picked up a big stack of the vouchers and used them for a year or two at various branches across the country (which got me some funny looks, but the discount was generally honoured). With film itself as cheap as it was ever going to get, I'd never shot it as freely (before or since).

Last edited:
Yes, I'm looking forward to shooting some film again. That's how I learnt, and even now I still shoot relatively sparingly. That's old habits dying hard. :D

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to assemble a version 2 of this thread and resource? The front matter hasn't been updated in about 5 years, and a lot has changed in that time. And even if we got @Musicman or the mods to update that first post, 43 pages of discussion is a bit much to expect a noobie to wade through to catch up on the changes. I'm willing(ish) to have a go, but whoever does it would need lots of input from other folk on here...

Interestingly, I didn't remember ever seeing mention of River and Coast, for example, until reviewing this last page just now (AFAICS they don't mention E6, but perhaps they process it as "colour"?).

New place in Newport South Wales is Foto which is a gallery in the market arcade not cheap but all good there

Back