Film developing kits - any recommendations? (Now with photos :))

I'm sure I turned it off as a feature. Can't remember how though....

Some MDC app tips:
- If you go into your "My Time" list and press edit, you can re-order it by putting your finger on the three lines on the RH side and dragging the film up or down in the list (took me a year to figure that one out!)
-When you go into the stopwatch mode, you can hit "Edit" and change things. I tend to edit the title to include the ISO in brackets so it's easier to spot in the master list. HP5 at 200, 400, 800 and 1600 can make for a cluttered list and mistakes can happen!
- If you press on the dilution, it will take you to a screen showing you the mix (in ml) of water to developer.

Looks like sections can be switched off if you set their times to zero - the hypo clear progress bar only appears if I give it a time. There doesn't seem to be a global setting, although there are defaults for when a new process is defined, which could have sections with the time set to zero. On iOS, that's under Massive Dev in the phone's main settings page.

Looks like sections can be switched off if you set their times to zero - the hypo clear progress bar only appears if I give it a time. There doesn't seem to be a global setting, although there are defaults for when a new process is defined, which could have sections with the time set to zero. On iOS, that's under Massive Dev in the phone's main settings page.

I thought that might be the case (I briefly looked at the edit screen and saw that timings can be amended) but didn't give it a test.

What's more I usually have a quick squint at the negs after fixing to see if washing for any length of time is worth bothering with :)

I usually have a quick squint at the negs after fixing to see if washing for any length of time is worth bothering with :)

Likewise ;)

Actually, with sheet film I'll usually remove the lid of the Orbital processor whilst the film is still fixing and take a courtesy look to see if continuing with any of the process is worthwhile.

If I finish the remaining frames on the roll of HP5 I’ve been shooting, then this weekend might be D-Day in terms of my first attempt at home developing. SonI have more questions...

1. While I’ll probably just use my developer as a one-Shot for this first attempt, I’m assuming that I can keep and re-use the stop bath and fixer. How should I store these?
  2. The massive dev chart app has default settings stating 1 minute of agitation, followed by 10 seconds of agitation at the start of each following minute for the film and developer I’ll be using. However, the HP5 data sheet states 10 seconds of agitation, followed by a further 10 seconds at the start of each minute. Which should I go for?
  3. How long is the film likely to take to dry (as a ballpark figure)? Given my kids and wife will be home, I’m not sure how long I can bar their entry to the bathroom where I plan to hang it. I want to minimise dust, but is it safe to move it elsewhere part way through the drying process?

If I finish the remaining frames on the roll of HP5 I’ve been shooting, then this weekend might be D-Day in terms of my first attempt at home developing. SonI have more questions...

1. While I’ll probably just use my developer as a one-Shot for this first attempt, I’m assuming that I can keep and re-use the stop bath and fixer. How should I store these?
  2. The massive dev chart app has default settings stating 1 minute of agitation, followed by 10 seconds of agitation at the start of each following minute for the film and developer I’ll be using. However, the HP5 data sheet states 10 seconds of agitation, followed by a further 10 seconds at the start of each minute. Which should I go for?
  3. How long is the film likely to take to dry (as a ballpark figure)? Given my kids and wife will be home, I’m not sure how long I can bar their entry to the bathroom where I plan to hang it. I want to minimise dust, but is it safe to move it elsewhere part way through the drying process?

I use Ilfotec HC and did 10 followed by 10 per minute, and I store fix and stop bath in some old drink bottles. I use a note app on my phone to track how many times they've been used. And personally I just hang the film in the bathroom overnight even with folks coming in and out the bathroom. What about hanging the film up in a shower stall or over the bath and inside the shower curtain of your worried about dust?

I follow the MDC timings with all my development, keeps it consistent, however either timings will do the job as it's not critical.
Drying times depend on conditions but generally in a warm bathroom a couple of hours or so should do it.
I store all my chemicals in 1 litre glass bottles with kilner stoppers.

Good luck, it's actually not as difficult as you imagine and there's a magic to it when the developed film finally emerges from the tank. Just a tip about inverting, I turn and tip at the same time to ensure that all the film is covered and sluiced by the developer. It's not an issue if you are doing one film but important when developing a few at once.

I store my stop & fix in brown glass medicine bottles from Glassbottles.co.uk (I think they were about £2 each). I have a label stuck on the front that I add a scratch mark to every time I use it so I know when I've hit 20 (which is the limit I decided on for the fixer I use), I renew my stop when I renew the fixer even though it lasts longer. It's cheap so I just do it at the same time.

As Andy, I just use MDC for times.

Drying wise, I need to get mine out of the household rooms. I have a high percentage of "accidents" when relying on other people to watch out for my stuff. I hang 120 rolls off the curtain track in my office (no one else goes in there) because they're so short. 135 gets hung from the lampshade. Just a clothes peg to secure it at the top and another to weigh it down at the bottom.

While I’ll probably just use my developer as a one-Shot for this first attempt, I’m assuming that I can keep and re-use the stop bath and fixer. How should I store these?
  1. The massive dev chart app has default settings stating 1 minute of agitation, followed by 10 seconds of agitation at the start of each following minute for the film and developer I’ll be using. However, the HP5 data sheet states 10 seconds of agitation, followed by a further 10 seconds at the start of each minute. Which should I go for?
  2. How long is the film likely to take to dry (as a ballpark figure)? Given my kids and wife will be home, I’m not sure how long I can bar their entry to the bathroom where I plan to hang it. I want to minimise dust, but is it safe to move it elsewhere part way through the drying process?

I just put the stop and fixer in 500 ml clip-seal plastic pots. These are good because they're not going to break and they're designed to be waterproof (AFAIK).

On the few occasions I've used a Paterson tank I've just followed the MDC times and agitation regime. Normally I'm using the Rondinax, which is a whole different ball game!

I do my dev while the OH is out, hang it up in the shower room before she gets back. Two or three hours later after our evening meal I take them down, cut and sleeve. For most films, they'l spend the night on a flat surface underneath a heavy book, to make sure they're as flat as possible. I've never devved HP5, but FP4 is lovely and flat, while Tri-X is a bit of a pain, usually slightly curved cross-wise. Much better after a night's squashing!

For most films, they'l spend the night on a flat surface underneath a heavy book, to make sure they're as flat as possible

Curious. Never thought about this, and as someone who is also frustrated with Tri-X I may well give this a go next time. Thanks for the tip!

I had a few practice runs at loading a test film onto the spiral earlier. A few cock-ups, but I think I got the hang of it in the end.

I presume it’s not going to cause too much harm if I touch the outer surface of the film (not the emulsion side) when loading it?

Also, is there any need to rush once the film is safely in the tank? I’m planning on doing that first and then sorting the chems and all the rest of the gubbins. I presume it’s fine to leave it in there for a while?

I often load the tank one day and Dev the next....or even later. It's best to avoid touching the surface of the film, I try and hold it by the edges, however I rarely manage to load the reel without fondling the film at some point and I've not noticed any problems.

I often load the tank one day and Dev the next....or even later. It's best to avoid touching the surface of the film, I try and hold it by the edges, however I rarely manage to load the reel without fondling the film at some point and I've not noticed any problems.

Thanks Andy. I’ll attempt to get it in the tank after breakfast tomorrow in that case and then dev it later (once the kids are up and have done in the bathroom so I can hang it to dry there for a few hours).

Getting the film into the tank is the part when mistakes can happen, so a time for calmness and no interruptions. Developing can be done as and when time allows, but it's worth leaving the loaded tank in the dark bag meantime.

Film is on the spiral and in the tank now!

That was not a fun exercise, and I'm hoping that practice will make it less of a challenge. It wasn't too bad when I was using a test roll yesterday, but given today's roll was "live" the pressure was on. It took three attempts to get it on - attaching it to the spiral was fine, but the first two goes resulted in some sort of problem half way through where the film would stop advancing. This resulted in me having to crack apart the spiral and start again - with the added bonus of the film now being a messy twist of curls inside the changing bag! It messed up again on the third attempt, but it was right at the end of the roll, so I was able to cut off the spool and tease the film back onto the spiral (hopefully correctly, but I guess I'll find out later).

I think it would have been a lot easier if I'd left the leader out of the cannister when I rewound it in the camera. I did try to retrieve it (using the "bit of wet film" technique) but it wouldn't come back out.

Anyway, onto the next step now...

Last edited:
Perhaps you'd better read this AFTER you've processed the film :)

The first film I ever developed failed totally, because I didn't read the instructions and loaded the spiral incorrectly. That clause rather spares my blushes and conceals my arrogance and ineptitude. The plain truth is that I didn't even look at the instructions, and in my impatience simply wound the film onto the spiral, ignoring any small details like grooves... The result taught me what film looks like when parts have received developer, parts fixer, and parts nothing.

In my own defence, I will just add that I never did it again, and I was about 9 at the time.

Perhaps you'd better read this AFTER you've processed the film :)

The first film I ever developed failed totally, because I didn't read the instructions and loaded the spiral incorrectly. That clause rather spares my blushes and conceals my arrogance and ineptitude. The plain truth is that I didn't even look at the instructions, and in my impatience simply wound the film onto the spiral, ignoring any small details like grooves... The result taught me what film looks like when parts have received developer, parts fixer, and parts nothing.

In my own defence, I will just add that I never did it again, and I was about 9 at the time.

Nothing I can do about it now. :)

I did take as much care as I could and read some instructions / watched some YouTube videos beforehand though. Obviously, what felt right to my unseeing fingers might be very different to the reality of the situation...

Nothing I can do about it now. :)

I did take as much care as I could and read some instructions / watched some YouTube videos beforehand though. Obviously, what felt right to my unseeing fingers might be very different to the reality of the situation...

Ya wudn't listen to me wud ya?!!:rolleyes: …...LF, it's the only sensible answer;)….No curly wurly films to "iron" out and no spirals to get frustrated with :exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ya wudn't listen to me wud ya?!!:rolleyes: …...LF, it's the only sensible answer;)….No curly wurly films to "iron" out and no spirals to get frustrated with :exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Have you ever tried to load a sheet of 10x8 film onto a spiral? I have, and it flexes, twists and generally deforms itself to a VERY large degree.

And, in case anyone asks, yes you can get the equivalent of spirals to develop 5x4, 5x7 and 10x8 sheets in Jobo tanks.

I have negatives!

They’re hung up to dry at present, so I haven’t looked at them closely, but they look ok at a glance.

I’m pretty happy given I messed up at the first hurdle by pouring the stop-bath in FIRST! :banghead:

Good job it wasn’t the fixer, I suppose. I quickly poured it back out and rinsed the negatives with some water a few times before making some fresh stop-bath and then starting again, this time in the correct order. Thankfully it doesn’t look like it did any harm.

Bloody beginners nerves... :LOL:

There are some water marks on the negs - a sterak that runs down many of the frames. I didn't give them a shake before hanging them to dislodge drops, so will bear that in mind next time (the marks are barely visible on the scans I've done so far though - and even then, only on images with a lot of featureless negative space).

The negs are also perhaps slightly dense - although nothing I can't tweak in PP. I'm wondering if I over-agitated or something? I went for the MDC "1 min of agitation for the first minute, and then 10 secs each following minute" method. Perhaps the Ilford "10 secs of agitation at the start of each minute" method would have been better. I guess I will learn from experience as I go along.

Here's an image from the roll. I've not scanned many yet - that'll be a task for the next few days.

Minolta SRT 101b
Rokkor 50mm f/1.7
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins

A bridge to trip-trap across
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking pretty good Nige, so kudos for that. Can't comment on DDX as I've never used it, but it's reputed to be the best of stuff! (y)

Looks lovely. Well done!

Did you enjoy it?

Looks lovely. Well done!

Did you enjoy it?

Thanks Ian.

I can’t say I enjoyed it this time. I think I was too stressed that I would cock something up somehow to actually enjoy the process. It was a great feeling (and relief!) to see the images after washing the film though. I think that, now I’ve popped my cherry so to speak, it will be a less stressful and more enjoyable experience next time. I know that the stuff works, and how it feels to carry out the tasks; I know that I can get results; and I know that my negs won’t attract a billion bits of dust if I dry them in the shower (I didn’t even run it beforehand to clear the air either!) :)

Looking pretty good Nige, so kudos for that. Can't comment on DDX as I've never used it, but it's reputed to be the best of stuff! (y)
Thanks Peter. I bought the DD-X because it was cheaper (for the bottle) than the other options I could pick at the time. What I didn’t consider was the fact that it uses quite a lot more developer than something like HC-110, so is actually a lot more expensive in the long run. It’s done the job though and, to be honest, this first batch of chems is mostly to get the ball rolling anyway. I might try something else next time though.

Nowt wrong with that result Nige.....Well done!

Thanks Asha. I’m pretty chuffed with them so far. :)

Nicely done - great tones in that scan. Looks like your have the process pretty well - I use Ilford Ilfotec HC - their equivalent of HC110 - due to long term cost as well. Their powder developers are pretty economic too - I got some Microphen for £6 from Analogue Wonderland which will do 10 rolls through increasing the Dev time by 10% each roll.

I did try to retrieve it (using the "bit of wet film" technique) but it wouldn't come back out.
I find that approach a bi hit and miss TBH, letting the wet film soak for a few seconds and then wiping off the excess seems to work better

To those using fast developers/high concentrations, such as Ilfotec HC; bear in mind that such chemicals are primarily designed for speed and convenience, over image quality. During my time at college, I learned that such chemicals weren't actually all that good, if you were at all bothered with ultimate image quality from your negs. Even at 1+31 dilution, HC wasn't great. but then I read up on the subject, and learned that reducing the concentration, and extending the development time; gave much better results; improved tonal range, better acuity?sharpness, and just a nice overall 'look'. Doing so does increase the amount of grain you get, but personally I love that look. The problem with quick developers is that you don't have such control over development, and need to be quick when pouring out dev and pouring in stop etc. For eg; HC @ 1:11 @ 24ºC gives a dev time of just 55 seconds for HP% @400ISO. That's way too quick to be able to control development properly (such dilutions are used for lab developing more than 'home' devving). Even the more 'standard' dilution of 1:31 still only gives a time of 9'30", which isn't to bad, but still not great for IQ, I found. I progressed to better chemicals, such as ID-11,, which when mixed up to 1:1, give a much better developing time of 13 minutes, so a lot more leeway. The chemicals are working more gently, and the whole process being slowed down, really benefits the final result. I used a 1:3 dilution, at 20 minutes, which gave me superb results. Deeper blacks, proper nice white highlights, much better tonal range, greatly improved sharpness, and just a much nicer overall look to pictures printed up. Printing was a far easier process as a result, less faffing required to get those tones in across the image. For pushing film, I found Microphen to be excellent; HP5 @1600 ISO did require a 30+ minute or so dev time though! Ilford don't recommend using such dilutions and long times though, as it's harder to maintain constant temp in the tank, and you can suffer reciprocity failure (I think, my memory is hazy now), requiring the time to be extended further. Meh. It worked for me! But it is a matter of real trial and error.

My college used HC 1:31 cos it was cheap, and meant students weren't developing for so long, allowing more teaching to be possible. Understandable. But I'd encourage any keen home developer to look into the alchemy of developing film, because your photography can really benefit from this.

Oh; and one of the most important things I learned was: wash your film properly. None of this 3x30 agitations in the tank; let it sit in running water for at least 20 mins or so. Because if you actually want to still be able to print from those negs in 20+ years time, if you haven't washed them properly, they'll be terrible, as the emulsion will degrade quicker the less it's been washed. I've got properly washed negs that are really starting to degrade a bit now; the poorly washed ones are now mostly virtually unprintable.

If you care; take your time. Don't rush things.

Forgot to mention; extending development time also requires less agitation. So instead of agitating every 10, or 30 seconds, you can agitate every minute or even more. Again I can't remember the exact science, but increased agitation leads to denser negs, which can be harder to print for a full tonal range. Of course; you might want very contrast pictures. You could use a stronger solution, and increase the water temp. There are no real 'rules'. It's fun to experiment.

Last edited:
Very interesting @AZ6 . I use HC 110 B, presumably similar to Ilfotec HC... the times aren't that much different from the times for Ilfosol 3 (1+9) that I used before.

I've thought about going for one of the lower concetrations, but two things stop me. Both stem from the fact that I mostly use a Rondinax tank (which also has the effect of reducing dev times by 15% BTW, because of the continuous agitation). The first reason is, well, it's continuous agitation, going from 5 minutes to (say) 15 would be quite a PITA!

The second reason is, I read somewhere that you need at least 6 ml of concentrate to dev a roll of 135. The Rondinax takes 200 ml, and at 1+31 that's 6.25 ml of concentrate! So it seems like while I carry on with the Rondinax I'm pretty much stuck with 1+31...

Is the 6 ml "rule" actually valid?

Back