Film Ferrania Kickstarter

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Whatever happened to the Film Ferrania Kickstarter campaign?

I have vague recollections of them offering some of their P30 film stock to those that didn’t want to wait but don’t think I’ve heard anything more since.

I seem to remember @ChrisR backed it, anyone else?

Just saying for something to post.....Well for neg film maybe they realised that if they can't undercut the price of Kodak or Fuji film by a large margin it would be a non starter.. as anyone like me that have tried Ferrania film in the past would prefer Fuji first then Kodak.

Last update I received was a special discount for backers on anything from the shop for a limited period, I think it was a year from receipt of the email. Even with the discount (25% IIRC) films were still expensive and the P&P was ridiculous and I gave up.

Checking the store now, a single roll of P30 is listed at £9.00 but when you go to checkout with a UK address it changes to £11.00 and £17.00 for P&P. Call me silly but £25.25 (discount only applies to the film) for a single roll is a little excessive.

Previous promises had been the value of what you'd given as credit in the shop and before that it was extra rolls of P30. There used to be a page on their website with the most recent update for Kickstarter backers but that's been taken down, however this page turns up if you use their search function.

Cairo Montenotte, July 2023

Dear backers,

We want to express our heartfelt gratitude for believing in Film Ferrania from the very beginning. Despite our investments in research and development, we regret to inform you that the original goal of the crowdfunding campaign has not been achieved. Currently, the products we have successfully developed and brought to market only include black and white films in both 35mm and 120 formats.

Since we are committed to showing our appreciation to those who supported the project to the best of our abilities, we plan to send a series of newsletters to the contacts registered at the time of contribution on Kickstarter in the coming weeks. This will provide an opportunity for those interested to purchase the available products on our website at a discounted price.

Thank you once again for your support.

The Film Ferrania Team

Check your spam folders, you might get lucky and receive the discount email again if you contact them, but frankly I think this is one that you may as well write off.

Still, they got the business up and running again off the back of the campaign so that's nice, isn't it. :cautious:

Whatever happened to the Film Ferrania Kickstarter campaign?

I have vague recollections of them offering some of their P30 film stock to those that didn’t want to wait but don’t think I’ve heard anything more since.

I seem to remember @ChrisR backed it, anyone else?
Yes, I backed their Kickstarter. They did offer a deal to replace the original reward of rolls of the new slide film with rolls of P30. I opted instead to buy 5 rolls of P30 Alpha, reasoning that they could benefit from all the cash they could get. I used 4 rolls and gave one away; I did do a comparison between P30 and FP4, reported on in this thread. I thought my P30 Alpha was rather too contrasty and a bit orthochromatic (see the red balloons in the referenced thread), and didn't buy any more, although I've lately heard they've increased the "spectral sensitivity", maybe making it more panchromatic, possibly when ORTO was introduced.

FilmFerrania had a LOT more problems renovating their inherited building than they bargained for, but to their credit they soldiered on, and recently have been delivering production grade P30, then the orthographic film ORTO (of which I have one roll), and now P33 at ISO 160 (with P36, rumoured to be ISO 400 maybe also this year). My guess is they will eventually get to a C41 film at least, and then maybe E6, who knows. Some folk on the internets have been very angry at the non-delivery of the original rewards, but I suspect these think of a KS as a purchase rather than backing a development (no pun intended). There was a time when FF suggested they would offer discounts on P30 purchases, and then this didn't happen, which was a bit disappointing. However, I reckon my KS backing was helpful in getting a new film maker on the map and I'm happy with that.

Analogue Wonderland has Ferrania film now. Probably no more expensive than backers price with the daft postage.

Analogue Wonderland has Ferrania film now. Probably no more expensive than backers price with the daft postage.

The original Kickstarter was for a colour slide film though, wasn't it? The B&W stocks were released as interim products while they worked out the kinks for the E6 film (which they still haven't done).

Three B&W films is better than no films though, I suppose.

The original Kickstarter was for a colour slide film though, wasn't it? The B&W stocks were released as interim products while they worked out the kinks for the E6 film (which they still haven't done).

That pertinent fact about the kickstarter being for colour slide film seems to have passed me by.... :eggface::facepalm:

Yes, in retrospect going straight for a slide film was a pretty big ask. ISTR that depended on some of the equipment they were expecting to inherit, not all of which materialised, one way or another. It would certainly be excellent for the film community if they did finally managed to deliver a slide film, but since I'm 95% a black and white togger these days, I'm not too worried!

Some folk on the internets have been very angry at the non-delivery of the original rewards, but I suspect these think of a KS as a purchase rather than backing a development (no pun intended). There was a time when FF suggested they would offer discounts on P30 purchases, and then this didn't happen, which was a bit disappointing. However, I reckon my KS backing was helpful in getting a new film maker on the map and I'm happy with that.

I'm not annoyed at the non-delivery of the original reward as much as the series of promises that didn't materialise. I opted not to take the P30 offer as I believed the claims that they'd get there eventually and felt I'd already given enough, having opted for one of the larger KS packages. After that it felt that promises were being withdrawn in stages and went from getting some B&W film if I paid more all the way down to a discount that isn't worth redeeming.

I understand how KS works and there was never a guarantee but it's left a sour taste nonetheless.

Back