Beginner Film help drying times

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
No
How long does it take for film to dry typically, I'm having some issues with my negatives, I'll find a picture showing my issues, I think it's because I'm not allowing it dry long for long enough also getting water marks dispite rinsing with distilled water.

Attachments

• IMG_20190324_230136_993.jpg
    IMG_20190324_230136_993.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 28
Drying time is going to depend on the temperature of the environment where the film is hung to dry.

Your example shows a lack of contrast in the image but drying time is not going to change that.

What are the issues? I can see dust spots; the low contrast could be due to the scan (assuming you scanned a negative; if you scanned a print then different factors come into play).

As Asha said, the drying time will depend on the temperature and humidity of the environment. To help with drying marks, use wetting agent in the final rinse, which makes water run off more easily.

So to answer your question as far as I can (and bearing in mind the other two comments that drying times do vary), I hang my negatives for at least 2 and preferably 3 or more hours, after a final rinse with de-ionised water (I'm a cheapskate) and wetting agent (Kodak Photo-Flo in my case). I think I use 2 ml per 500 ml of water, so my current bottle will probably last my lifetime! After hanging, I cut in strips, sleeve and place under a weight usually for 24 hours before scanning. So that's Midlands England, middling humidity, hung in a shower room that has been used that morning (but I don't run the shower before hanging, as some folk do to dampen the dust down). Can't think of anything else worth adding!

I use a salad spinner to remove almost all the water.

Then I use a filtered cold blowing hair dryer blowing though a 4 inch drain pipe, to dry the emulsion of the reels.

Back