Film making, where to begin?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon all,

I've been a hobbyist photographer for ages and have had a video itch for a long portion of that. An upcoming road trip to Scotland makes me think that now is the time to scratch it.

I've got a Canon R5, with various lenses (mostly EF), and a couple of Insta360 One RSs as well as a Zoom H1n, a Rode external mic, and some suction cup type mounting brackets--I imagine I won't be using the R5 for sticking on the car or anything. So I think that the gear side is covered.

But. I have little to no idea on film making.

I understand that the premise is to tell a story, so I intend to start with a few short scenes on planning and packing, then a montage/time lapse of the trip up to our start point in Loch Lomond, and then a few scenes for each of the 4 or 5 days.

I figure I've got a couple of months to play with the gear and figure out the best positions for camera angles and sound recording, but it's the actual 'art' of the storytelling that I reckon will be the hardest to grasp.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I might approach this? I'm accepting it's going to be a learning experience, but hopefully it'll be fun!
biggrin

I'm not much of a video fan, however I do know what I don't like (fast jerky panning, stupid music instead of the sound from the scene, using 150 of the available 100 transitions and effects, fake sounding narratives etc etc) so my suggestion would be to look at some videos and note the things you don't like, then avoid them.

Probably not the kind of advice you were looking for :)

Last edited:
issues you might come across is using a camera for videoing it might overheat as it doesn't have a cooling fan. Another is the length of recording time you need to check for your camera. next is zooming in smoothly, normally means changing lenses.
All the above can be avoided with a proper camcorder, need not be that expensive even cheaper than a camera lens. Then sound could cause a problem with wind blowing across the camera/camcorder microphone so advise at least get a wind muffler "deadcat". wind rumble ruins a video.
A tip I use is when panning let a subject take 7to 9 seconds go across the screen from left to right to stop side shudder. have a tripod with a fluid head will help, I was recently in Iceland and did a bit of filming .

camcorder zoom example

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO492YO6NZg

wind noise rumble. What i did as an example is to set a previous camcorder infront of a desk fan using the deadcat against the camcorder microphone listen to whole video before and after break in the middle and you will hear the difference

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEkZ_S3V7o

I think I might be able to point you I the right direction if your ever in the East sussex area just drop in and see me. I have been making videos for about 11 years mainy for myself and learn't by my own mistakes
and added inserted headikng
slow panning at start and added inserted heading which could have been done many different ways

Last edited:
Sound is really important, more so than the actual video. As a general rule no more than 30 seconds before a change of shot. Watch any TV docu and see how it changes the scene/shot quite frequently. Background music should be subtle an complement the shot. Then think,is this going to hold the interest of the casual viewer, not just you.

Ken is right

One reason music I think is used is to cover up the original sound track. I much prefer to hear the original sound. If using music far better as part of the introduction and ending.

aware of and very important
Don't video if children are about you may be considered as a pervert.
don't let anyone cross infront of you while filming get a good clear space first
if filming say a person doing work or in uniform ask if they mind, saves a lot of agro. video can be more intrusive than stills

I have done videos in many many countries from Japan and Russia to Brazil - Egypt- USA to name but a few
As for microphones do you go for directional/ stereo or combination of both, itg is a whole new subject

Then editing videos can be mind blowing so I just still to the simple stuff such as fade im/out- adding script over video either scrolling it or rolling it up/down.

Last edited:
All l can add to the above is...take Iots more footage than what you think is necessary, keep panning and zooming to a minimum, take lots of B roll footage, keep transitions simple, watch for continuity errors. Good luck.

Spend a week or 2 watching StudioBinder they will answer your questions and give you some of the best techniques the top directors use to tell stories and how to shoot them.
Use Google maps/street view and get some ideas of what you want to film before you go, get a variable ND filter that fits your biggest lens then buy step up rings for smaller lenses so it will fit all of them as well.

Last edited:
All l can add to the above is...take Iots more footage than what you think is necessary, keep panning and zooming to a minimum, take lots of B roll footage, keep transitions simple, watch for continuity errors. Good luck.

Agreed, and when you do pan or zoom, keep the camera level (leaning verticals are an instant killer) and don't zoom in so far while panning that the "heads and feet" are cut off, and don't pan one direction then back again over the same thing :) (just shows you went too fast the first time to me)

If you have a set thing in mind, make a storyboard with notes on each scene, it sounds old fashioned, but it helps to make sure you don't forget something you wanted when you are actually filming, and there are no gaps in the final product.

If you are going to make the final product 1080p it is still worth filming in 4k, it gives you some space for error without losing quality, ie don't zoom in quite as far as you want in the camera, do it in editing. (I don't have a 4k TV or projector, and neither do any friends or family, and I never take videos to put online)
Some Panasonic cameras make use of this to pan and zoom a bit without moving the camera.

I don't think a dedicated video camera is much advantage to many people, many professionals are using the Panasonic GH6 or S5 II, and the lower end Panasonics take fantastic video.
I'm sure other makes do as well, but haven't tried them.
It is worth pointing out that modern phones also do a great job for certain applications, with very good electronic stabilisation.

Like many of these topics, it's what you do with whatever you use that makes the biggest difference.

Last edited:
Use the trip as a learning curve. Try lots of things, give yourself plenty to edit. The only way to learn is to make mistakes.

The aim is to notice none of the technical stuff, filming or editing when finished.
Write a story board before you start.. And keep the story moving on.

All the above can be avoided with a proper camcorder, need not be that expensive even cheaper than a camera lens. Then sound could cause a problem with wind blowing across the camera/camcorder microphone so advise at least get a wind muffler "deadcat". wind rumble ruins a video.
Thank you for the tips, I already have dead cats for the H1n and the Rode mic, but I won't be buying a camcorder :ROFLMAO: I imagine the majority of the footage will come from the Insta360s as it'll mostly be driving, and the panning function is offered in post-production which looks incredibly swish. I'm hoping to not use anything else at all if I'm honest.

Also. Drone. Buy a used Mini 2.
There is no way I'm buying more gear :ROFLMAO:

take Iots more footage than what you think is necessary, keep panning and zooming to a minimum, take lots of B roll footage, keep transitions simple, watch for continuity errors. Good luck.
Sounds like good advice, thank you (y)

Spend a week or 2 watching StudioBinder they will answer your questions and give you some of the best techniques the top directors use to tell stories and how to shoot them.
Use Google maps/street view and get some ideas of what you want to film before you go, get a variable ND filter that fits your biggest lens then buy step up rings for smaller lenses so it will fit all of them as well.
Thanks, I'll give them a look (y) CPLs and NDs are already in the bag :)

If you have a set thing in mind, make a storyboard with notes on each scene, it sounds old fashioned, but it helps to make sure you don't forget something you wanted when you are actually filming, and there are no gaps in the final product.

If you are going to make the final product 1080p it is still worth filming in 4k, it gives you some space for error without losing quality, ie don't zoom in quite as far as you want in the camera, do it in editing. (I don't have a 4k TV or projector, and neither do any friends or family, and I never take videos to put online)
Some Panasonic cameras make use of this to pan and zoom a bit without moving the camera.

I don't think a dedicated video camera is much advantage to many people, many professionals are using the Panasonic GH6 or S5 II, and the lower end Panasonics take fantastic video.
I'm sure other makes do as well, but haven't tried them.
It is worth pointing out that modern phones also do a great job for certain applications, with very good electronic stabilisation.

Like many of these topics, it's what you do with whatever you use that makes the biggest difference.
Thanks, I was actually thinking of storyboarding--although it's mostly going to be about the car, roads, and locations--but always handy. And, It'll all be 4k, or 5.3k for 360° footage. As mentioned, I'm far from requiring a 'proper' video camera, although I'm sure the R5 would fit the bill if needed. I'll be sticking with that and the two action cams--GAS be damned!

Thanks for the tips so far all :)

Maybe it is because I am getting more into doing videos. with this one I can set it for one SD card to continuously record and the other for segments of video also live stream as a run and gun if I bothered to set it up for this. No need for additional lens or filters either as it has built in ND filters. Also has built in infrared either in green or grey. just a couple of the many features it has possibly not on a camera

My rig

P1051371.JPG

with additional light Ideal for those darker indoor videos and has a stereo microphone attached as well. I have not used for such but thinking along wedding type videos in church/ reception.
Oh my Nikon D810does video not 4k but my compact Panasonic DC-TZ95 does

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

I've been a hobbyist photographer for ages and have had a video itch for a long portion of that. An upcoming road trip to Scotland makes me think that now is the time to scratch it.

I've got a Canon R5, with various lenses (mostly EF), and a couple of Insta360 One RSs as well as a Zoom H1n, a Rode external mic, and some suction cup type mounting brackets--I imagine I won't be using the R5 for sticking on the car or anything. So I think that the gear side is covered.

I understand that the premise is to tell a story, so I intend to start with a few short scenes on planning and packing, then a montage/time lapse of the trip up to our start point in Loch Lomond, and then a few scenes for each of the 4 or 5 days.

I figure I've got a couple of months to play with the gear and figure out the best positions for camera angles and sound recording, but it's the actual 'art' of the storytelling that I reckon will be the hardest to grasp.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I might approach this? I'm accepting it's going to be a learning experience, but hopefully it'll be fun!
biggrin

As @LeeRatters suggested, watching some travel vlogs will give you some inspiration. It's quite a lot of work, if you're with others take care not to get too into it, it might take the shine off the trip!

I'd suggest working on the goal - not only the story, but who will it be for? A personal diary of the trip for future memories? To post on YouTube for the world? Is there a specific challenge you will be facing and hopefully overcoming? I've made one or two travel videos for others and the best results came from interviewing them to understand the background to the journey, the motivation, highlights lowlights etc and illustrate with lots and lots of "b-roll" footage to bring what they are saying to life.

Looking forward for seeing the results :)

To add to the already useful advice above, you may also want to consider:

Shooting B-roll
  • When filming, hold each shot for at least 10 seconds and give yourself a few seconds at the start and end of each shot to account for camera wobble (you may also need those extra few seconds when editing)
  • Either hold the camera still or move it for a reason, don't do half of both, it doesn't look professional. Get both a static and a moving shot if you are unsure
  • Get lots of general views at each location, e.g. signage saying where you are, a few wide establishing shots, some shots of your group/people at the location, some close up detail shots, etc.
  • Get more than one shot of each thing you want to show. e.g. if there is an interesting sign, get a close up, pan across it, get a wide with the location in the background, get a medium shot with someone pointing at it or pulling a face/giving a thumbs up. Variety is key!
  • Don't stick to just one focal length, use wides and telephoto to vary the perspective of your shots. Mix it up, use a telephoto for an establishing shot and a wide angle for a close up.
  • Static shots can be made more interesting by pulling focus from one subject to another
  • Slow motion can be cool but don't over do it! (I usually get a real time shot as well when I shoot slow motion)

Sound
  • Don't forget about sound, it's 51% of your film!
  • Think about how you will get clear sound particularly when people are talking and also for anything that you have filmed e.g. if you have filmed a waterfall, get recordings of the crashing sound of the water.
  • Get ambient sound at each location.
  • When I'm recording sound separately into my Zoom, I usually include a little voice note of what I've just recorded (location etc ) to remind future me when I'm editing.
  • If people are talking to camera, listen to what is in the background, if it's too noisy, find somewhere else to record, you might not have to move far.

General
  • Do a bit of planning before you go, maybe make a list of the places you want to visit and for each place, list a few shots you want to get there of specific things, landmarks, exhibits, people etc.. Having a shot list can help you get going if you are stuck or feeling overwhelmed.
  • I have a little routine I always go through when I'm filming
    • Check and level tripod
    • Check resolution and framerate, before you go, decide if you are recording 25 fps? 1080p/4k/8k!?
    • Check picture profile (if you aren't sure which to use, do some tests before the trip)
    • Check white balance
    • Check exposure (aperture, shutter speed and ISO)
    • Check focus
  • If you have time, time-lapse can be fun, I shoot them at the end of the day when I'm camping, usually while waiting for the BBQ
  • Check you have enough memory cards for photos and footage, video can fill them up pretty quick if you are using smaller cards
  • Check all batteries are charged, and that you can charge them up while you are on the road or at the end of each day
If you like a particular travel show/documentary/YouTube channel, watch and analyse how they are put together and what the shots are like, you can usually identify a pattern that they follow. I quite like the Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor 'Long Way' series or Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, but I'm sure you have your own favourites.

And don't forget to enjoy your trip! It's ok to put the camera down and just enjoy the moment.

I'd suggest working on the goal - not only the story, but who will it be for? A personal diary of the trip for future memories? To post on YouTube for the world? Is there a specific challenge you will be facing and hopefully overcoming? I've made one or two travel videos for others and the best results came from interviewing them to understand the background to the journey, the motivation, highlights lowlights etc and illustrate with lots and lots of "b-roll" footage to bring what they are saying to life.

Thanks @TimHughes, that's a really good one!

One problem I have is a terrible slow internent upload speed of 6 mbps (just about the minimum speed)which is absolutely hopeless for long videos to post on places like youtube. a 5 minuite video would take half a day to upload if not longer. no wonder people get p***ed off with BT but I am stuck with this speed whichever company I go with, Fibre optics around here expected in 3/4 years time
then adding editing time makes the whole thing ask if its worth it

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

biggrin

My advice would be to write a storyboard for the thing you want to make, ahead of time. Go shot by shot and refine the idea before you shoot anything. this will both keep you organised as you shoot, and give to the chance to pre-visualise the end product .

I think video storytelling is like actual storytelling.

Some people can waffle on far ages and include lots of inconsequential details, while the point of their story gets lost as you've mentally switched off. Others get straight to the point, but miss out all interesting stuff along the way.

The very best storytellers can still tell you a long story, but they keep you interested throughout. The detail is poignant and pertinent, asides are funny or engaging.

Think about the things you might include if you were telling someone the story of your trip. If it's a four hour journey (and it's normally a four hour trip) they don't probably need to know about four hours where nothing happened. If it should have been a one hour journey, but took you four, maybe there was something interesting that accounted for the hold-ups. I mean, don't go filming RTCs, but you know...

The other thing to remember is who is the actual audience for this? If it's to show other people (who weren't there) then keep it short and interesting. If it's to serve as a reminder for people who were there (either for now or for some far-distant viewing) then I'd advise including more.

I've just come across so MiniDV tapes I shot almost 20 years ago. I know there's not much on them that would interest many other people, but a couple of tapes have footage from when four of us did a mini-tour of California. Even just seeing ourselves from that long ago is interesting.

Having said that, I did create a DVD of our trip at the time, and there's definitely footage I wouldn't include now.

ETA. Some time back we were putting together a video for one of our clients and trying to find stock footage of people on bikes.

We were quite happy with the results but one of the creatives above us said: “it’s dull. It’s just lots of people going past a camera.”

The comment stung a bit, but he was right. It needed lots of variety to keep the interest up. POV footage, reverse angles, following shots, close ups, drone shots. Definitely variety helps.

Also to add. I’m not much into filming stuff myself, but we do use stock for clients on occasion.

Dull stories can be made interesting by the editing. And while there were a couple of comments about music above, it definitely can help drive the pace of a film. Giving you cut points to work with the track and helping the piece flow.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of storyboarding--although it's mostly going to be about the car, roads, and locations

Do a dry run. You'll learn more by doing and discovering what not to do than overthinking it at your desk.

Plan a trip to the shops, a park, work etc. Work out a rough shot list or storyboard if you have the drawing skills and tick them off to make sure you have coverage of all the main parts.
Shoot it with the gear you're intending to use then rough cut it together at home.
Putting it together will make it plain and obvious what you missed without the emotional pain of it being your big trip.
Coming back from a big trip with hours of footage will make it a very long job to learn a few early lessons.

There's a lot of youtube channels make what is essential very simple straightforward footage into something very watchable almost effortlessly.
These two are a good example with a nice mix of interesting paces, useful information and endearing cockups etc.
Don't be scared to talk on camera even if you hardly ever appear in front of it.
But people do like to see you from time to time.

This recent one is a good example, take note of technical aspects like subtle changing viewpoint and humorous narrative.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeRbwdvG5o

Last edited:
Highly recommend Mark Bone's channel, he has great advice on everything technical (more manual focus), to storytelling (always have a beginning and end in mind and ask people on the scene to describe what is happening; also, audio is 80% of what we see):

A few faves:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdrWf7mq9Qg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6P8bWrjeIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLqMMyvJP9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcc63Wo529g

As well as the storyboard mentioned above, shoot more video than you think you'll need, it's easy to bin it after, much harder to reshoot something you missed, hence the storyboard suggestions above. Don't forget the so called B roll stuff, building close up, sheep in fields, flowers, panning across the mountains, people shopping, whatever will fit with your story to cut in. watch any telly outdoor program and see how much of this is in there

To add to the already useful advice above, you may also want to consider:

Shooting B-roll
  • When filming, hold each shot for at least 10 seconds and give yourself a few seconds at the start and end of each shot to account for camera wobble (you may also need those extra few seconds when editing)
  • Either hold the camera still or move it for a reason, don't do half of both, it doesn't look professional. Get both a static and a moving shot if you are unsure
  • Get lots of general views at each location, e.g. signage saying where you are, a few wide establishing shots, some shots of your group/people at the location, some close up detail shots, etc.
  • Get more than one shot of each thing you want to show. e.g. if there is an interesting sign, get a close up, pan across it, get a wide with the location in the background, get a medium shot with someone pointing at it or pulling a face/giving a thumbs up. Variety is key!
  • Don't stick to just one focal length, use wides and telephoto to vary the perspective of your shots. Mix it up, use a telephoto for an establishing shot and a wide angle for a close up.
  • Static shots can be made more interesting by pulling focus from one subject to another
  • Slow motion can be cool but don't over do it! (I usually get a real time shot as well when I shoot slow motion)

Sound
  • Don't forget about sound, it's 51% of your film!
  • Think about how you will get clear sound particularly when people are talking and also for anything that you have filmed e.g. if you have filmed a waterfall, get recordings of the crashing sound of the water.
  • Get ambient sound at each location.
  • When I'm recording sound separately into my Zoom, I usually include a little voice note of what I've just recorded (location etc ) to remind future me when I'm editing.
  • If people are talking to camera, listen to what is in the background, if it's too noisy, find somewhere else to record, you might not have to move far.

General
  • Do a bit of planning before you go, maybe make a list of the places you want to visit and for each place, list a few shots you want to get there of specific things, landmarks, exhibits, people etc.. Having a shot list can help you get going if you are stuck or feeling overwhelmed.
  • I have a little routine I always go through when I'm filming
    • Check and level tripod
    • Check resolution and framerate, before you go, decide if you are recording 25 fps? 1080p/4k/8k!?
    • Check picture profile (if you aren't sure which to use, do some tests before the trip)
    • Check white balance
    • Check exposure (aperture, shutter speed and ISO)
    • Check focus
  • If you have time, time-lapse can be fun, I shoot them at the end of the day when I'm camping, usually while waiting for the BBQ
  • Check you have enough memory cards for photos and footage, video can fill them up pretty quick if you are using smaller cards
  • Check all batteries are charged, and that you can charge them up while you are on the road or at the end of each day
If you like a particular travel show/documentary/YouTube channel, watch and analyse how they are put together and what the shots are like, you can usually identify a pattern that they follow. I quite like the Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor 'Long Way' series or Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, but I'm sure you have your own favourites.

And don't forget to enjoy your trip! It's ok to put the camera down and just enjoy the moment.
Basically this (y)

re my prevous post ( no 16) UPDATE
At long long last a decent internet speed now fibre optic cable installed in the last few days. Download speed about 90mbps and upload about 103mbps. Not the fastest package I could have opted for but cost from supplier would be a bit more. BT have no plans for fibre optic in my area but private companies are taking over it seems
Now when weather warms up a bit I hopefully will be able to put on youtube longer videos without having to wait half a day and also in 4K maybe as well.

Last edited:
Back