Film/negative scanners

I've shared this picture before (Polaroid 110a 4x5 conversion, 20 seconds exposure, Fuji Astia 100F) but I picked it up to see how simply I could 'scan' a large format slide. This was shot with my Sony A7, OM Zuiko 50/3.5 macro lens, handheld 1/25th ISO 400 with just a window behind it for light and the 35mmc unit. I then transferred the image to my phone and cropped it.

I reckon if I used a stronger light source and a tripod I could get results with more shadow details that are perfectly fine for sharing online in around 10 seconds :0)

791E958E-EC54-4438-92B2-36F1CE77EABC.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but the last negatives I scanned took most of my evening, i.e. about 3 hours start to finish. That was a set of 10 6x7 colour negatives, so it would definitely take me two evenings to sort out a 36 exposure roll of colour negs if I had to use my v550. That's: dusting off, loading the negatives into the holders, the actual scanning, filing the negs back in the sleeves, importing the files into colorPerfect, fiddling with the colour balance, dust spotting them in Photoshop, importing them into Lightroom and adding keyword tags, probably some more tweaks to the colour and contrast and a bit of cropping etc.

In the same time I could mix and warm up RA4 chemicals, print a contact sheet, then select and print four or five big prints from the roll. They would be dry and ready to view while my 'digital self' was still hunched cursing over the computer :p
Surely tweeking colour and dust spotting could be done in LR as well, that would save a little time in your workflow.

Surely tweeking colour and dust spotting could be done in LR as well, that would save a little time in your workflow.

It could, but the colour tweaks I make can only be done in Photoshop, plus I find Photoshop's spot healing brush much quicker than Lightroom's version. Trying to do it all in LR would be slower for me.

Back