Film Photo Challenge Medium Format at f/2.8 DISCUSSION

Well - I can pretty much guarantee I'm not going to be entering this one - only MF camera I've access to at the moment is the Perkeo I, and as thats got a f4.5/75mm Vaskar on it...

Still better than the other one though - fixed at f135 :LOL:

Last edited:
The Selfix 420 only opens to f/4.5 :(

What are the most commonly available medium format cameras with fast lenses?

.. how about widening the criteria to allow any medium format as long as the lens is as wide open as it goes? ;)

.. how about widening the criteria to allow any medium format as long as the lens is as wide open as it goes? ;)

Good idea, lets not be aperturist ;)

So where exactly are you drawing the line :LOL:

I am tempting to move it slightly untill f/3.5 if we don't have that many owners of fast MF lenses.

Lets try to decide all together.

If you beleive that f/4.5 will be better for all of us I'm happy to change the rules. Let's see what others think about it :)

The deadline for a final decision is tomorrow evening 23.00

Otherwise it will not be fair for those who have already started to shoot at f/2.8.

You could change it to Medium format - wide open?

Is this different to the 4 week challenges? I am not complaining, the more the merrier!

(y)

Yes, it is different. This one is my own initiative and it has a real prize:clap:

Please don't forget to participate in

Film Photo Challenge 04 MONEY!!!

Cool, nice idea. I will participate this time as I have been slacking recently as I haven't finished a roll since september...

I'm with Mr X to be honest, I doubt very much you'll get more than a couple of entries at 2.8. Wide open yes, otherwise you're cutting your own throat - it's not like there's a huge number of MF cameras out ther in use, let alone with premium glass - and *none* of the folders will have fast stuff.

Last edited:
My only MF is a Selfix 16-20, another with an f4.5 lens.

Andy

Grrrrr - super bad timing on this.

Pulled my Mamiya C330 out of the loft a few weeks ago. Discovered that the light seals had perished and there was crud inside the prime lens.

Guess it's time to pull my finger out :bonk:

:woot::woot::woot:

I sent my film for processing on Monday but the lab says they still haven't got it.

Have you heard about any problems with post delivery during this week?

I spent 3 hours in London with a model to shot the film. Its very dissapointing.:bang:

I've a roll developed. It was a test really to see how well I could scale focus at 2.9 and compose at 6x6.
I'll try to upload the best shot tonight, in the hope that I can still come up with more pleasing results!
The lens on my Balda Baldix seems to be sharp at times and a Lomographer's delight at others. Perhaps not consistent enough to be a regular shooter.

Well, I'm in a dilemma. There is something I like about the shot I entered, even though it is technically not a good picture. I blame the sunlight and the bizarre optics of the Balda. It seems you can't quite predict what'll be in focus, and the bokeh is like some hyper-real digital effect (if that makes sense).

Anyway I tried to make a more composed shot to enter:
5278747470_cb247caccb_b.jpg

This shot was measured (the tape measure is still in my hand) to try and get an accurate focus, but of course I should have measured to put the front of the lens (or my eye) in focus, rather than the film!.
But I can't quite bring myself to replace my original entry.
Any thoughts?

how didn't i see this? i have a few rolls sitting waiting to get developed but not 100% sure if they are shot at f2.8, one of them must have been!

Plenty for me, I'm shooting a mates engagement pictures tomorrow and plan on shooting some film as well as digital.

just for the info - a kiev 60 or 88 usually comes with a good 80mm f2.8 and the combo is pretty cheap.

I have one :D Gonna keep using it until I can afford a blad as I love 66 and a wlf.

I shoot at 2.8 quite a lot but have no scanner and atm about a dozen rolls laying around to Dev :s

Back