FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

I went out today with half an idea to get a shot, but nothing suitable presented itself!

Still plenty of time!

I have no idea or inspiration at all.... Brain racking is required.

I have an idea but turning it into a photo is proving a bit of a problem!

Over half way through the month and only 2 entries? :tumbleweed: Come on you lot!
I might post one of the sheets of 5x4 that I wasted by an under-reading meter (might be poor technique as well!) ............. :rolleyes:

Didn't anyone who went on the Scotland trip take any photos of the flippin' enormous collection of bottles, cans, boxes and other assorted recycling waste in the utility room? Surely a missed opportunity!

Didn't anyone who went on the Scotland trip take any photos of the flippin' enormous collection of bottles, cans, boxes and other assorted recycling waste in the utility room? Surely a missed opportunity!
Good point Janet, but is it waste if it can be recycled? :exit: (only kidding!)

Over half way through the month and only 2 entries? :tumbleweed: Come on you lot!

Sitting pretty are we Mr Badger :)

Going to be 'tight for time' this month! just got the film out of the Jobo but don't know if any are good :-(

(pacing up & down willing the film to dry so I can scan and see if I will be entering this month!)

Last edited:
I'm scanning right now, too. Overcooking Tri-X in 1.5 times the correct amount of HC 110 was NOT a good idea, though luckily not totally disastrous!

ETA: grain the size of golfballs in any sky area :(

Last edited:
Sitting pretty are we Mr Badger :)

Going to be 'tight for time' this month! just got the film out of the Jobo but don't know if any are good :-(

(pacing up & down willing the film to dry so I can scan and see if I will be entering this month!)

That reminds me, I must take December's photo soon. ;)

I'm sure you'll have a suitable photo for this month's entry... if not the you'll just have to take a photo of your rejected and stamped on negatives and enter that! :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCMefqOi3w

PS I wish my photo was as good as that song!

Last edited:
Even had to buy props for this month! The 1664 was awful -honest!.............hic,hic.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that a photo already displayed on the forum but otherwise conforming is allowed. Am I right?

I'm pretty sure that a photo already displayed on the forum but otherwise conforming is allowed. Am I right?
Might lose out a bit on novelty effect impact, but I don't think there's anything in the rules about debuts or exclusivity. Plus you can always pretend to claim the moral high ground and say its waste recycling! :D

Last edited:

Just checked the rules Chris and it doesn't mention anything excluding a photograph posted elsewhere - as long as it was taken after the 1st December 2017 it is OK.

There's definitely no rule about not allowing photos already posted elsewhere in the forum in this year's rules. I've been updating the rules for next year and that hasn't changed so you'll be able to do it then too if you want.

Personally, I wouldn't do it because I want my entries to be unique and, if they're any good, to have their initial impact in the competition thread. Don't let that stop you though!

Just back from a couple days in London where I got a couple photos that might fit the theme. Posted them off to FIlmdev when we got back yesterday afternoon so hopefully they're back in time

As others have said, there's no rule saying you can't post photos elsewhere before posting them for FPOTY (y)

Thanks. I think we had a discussion about this, way back before this version of FPOTY started. There used to be a rule on no prior exposure in the old monthly POTY competitions (which was related to submission anonymity IIRC), but we decided it wasn't necessary in our version. That's my recollection anyway. Glad to have the result confirmed. Whether I take advantage of it or not, remains to be decided!

I have an idea but turning it into a photo is proving a bit of a problem!

I've had to put my backup shot in. I wasted a lot of time trying to do something a bit different and totally screwed up the photos. Haven't got time to try again. :rolleyes::(

The poll for November is up, and the entries thread for December is open and ready for entries. All that before 8.45 on a Saturday morning, I am on fire! :D

@TheBigYin could you sticky December and unsticky October please? :)

Crikey - 'the bar' has been set very high with Nige's entry for December! I think I need to re-think my entry!

Has anyone else Googled "wet" for research and discovered that they're going to need a t-shirt, a bucket of water & a model?

Has anyone else Googled "wet" for research and discovered that they're going to need a t-shirt, a bucket of water & a model?

Yes, quite a few times actually :naughty:

Unfortunately for the rest of you this may be my first selfie of the year

I'm not sure about a trip back to the 1980s, I haven't got the XR3 for it and I was never very keen on all that Human League and Duran Duran music the first time around! ;)

Back